Which series 3 should I "lifetime"

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by buscuitboy, Apr 23, 2013.

which TiVo Series 3 should I lifetime?

Poll closed Nov 9, 2013.
  1. Series 3 (OLED)

13 vote(s)
    32.5%
  2. TiVO HD (TCD652160)

27 vote(s)
    67.5%
  1. buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I may have an opportunity to lifetime either a Series 3 (OLED) or a TiVo HD (TCD652160) for the $99 offer. I'm trying to decide which one would be better to have a lifetime subscription on.

Here is what I know that could influence the decision, but maybe there are some other factors I am not aware of:

• Series 3 (OLED) requires TWO cable cards in any circumstance
    • TiVO HD (TCD652160) can work with one M-card, but has a smaller stock hard drive
    • (I think) the Series 3 (OLED) seems more prone to the power supply cap issue

I know I can upgrade the hard drive in the TiVO HD (& have done it in a Series 3 OLED) so that might not be as much of a factor. I already have a Series 3 OLED and I like the front panel display options (clock, recordings, direct buttons, etc.), but this probably shouldn't be a huge factor for getting a lifetime subscription.

Which one would be better to have a lifetime subscription on?

2. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I would go with the OLED because I have heard is has a better OTA tuner, and as is antenna TV is all I have, that is important to me. It is prettier too, and I have read that it is the Cadillac (Lexus?) of the TiVos.
    I think that all the Series 3 TiVos will have capacitor problems sooner or later. But it isn't that hard to find the capacitors or change them.
    I would check to see which one has the higher resale value on completed listings on eBay.

3. farmermac

farmermac Recorder of shows

Jan 31, 2012
    There are way more TiVo hd's out there for parts should you need them. You can go at least up to 1tb with the TiVo hd really easily. I'd do the hd just because its most likely newer.

4. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I would go for the unit with the cheapest operating costs.

5. buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I guess technically that would be the TiVo HD since it can use one M-card for both tuners.

I currently have another Series 3 (OLED) and really like it. Even upgraded its hard drive to 500GB (for now) since its original 250GB one failed. I thought 2TB was the max you could easily go up to on any of these TiVo HDs. Or is this only for certain Series 3 models? Is something special required when upgrading any of them to a 2TB drive? I simply used WinMFS for my 500GB OLED upgrade and it was pretty straightforward and easy to perform.

6. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    If you are going to use cable cards and they cost you money then the answer is easy. The TiVoHD. Since you only need to use one M-card in a TiVoHD Series 3. But you need to use two M-cards with the OLED Series 3.

As fars as the tuners, I never noticed a difference between my OLED S3 boxes and my TiVoHD S3 boxes.

7. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    The HD is also less likely to have capacitor problems, thus costing (at little) less to operate and would have less of a potential for down time.

8. dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Just having to have had fixed a lifetimed S3 OLED myself, I'd got with a Tivo HD. I saw lots of used Tivo HDs to get parts from, an OLED is going to be harder. Plus, as you pointed out, two cable cards if you ever want to go that route.

9. blacknoi

blacknoi Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Chiming in to lifetime the TivoHD.

I have a lifetimed S3OLED and have already had to change out the power supply *twice* due to bad caps.

1 cablecard vs 2 would double your cablecard rental fee for the S3OLED over time (cost is low I know, but we are talking about the whole picture here), instead of the 1 Mcard the TivoHD can take.

Plus as others have said, parts are easier to procure and cheaper to find as there are more TivoHDs out there.

Granted the S3OLED is a little faster response wise and network transferwise over the regular TivoHD but the other positives on the HD make it my choice.

10. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I'll be the advocate for the OLED unit, love mine and it's been a trooper.
    To the poster saying " I had to change the P/S twice" my hunch is you put another P/S with old capacitors in vs replacing the caps on the existing unit, I did that and they're still fine.

And now that you can do a 2TB OLED S3, I prefer that over the TivoHD, and that's why the TivoHD was given to my Dad and the OLED is till with me, the extra CableCARD cost doesn't diminish how nice the unit is.

11. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Whichever gets you the best resale value on fleabay.

12. buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    While it may not be a big deal, I just remember another difference. I know the Series 3 OLED requires the cable cards to be inserted in the back of the unit. The TiVo HD requires cable cards to be inserted in the FRONT, correct? Again, probably not a huge factor, but just something else I thought of.

13. Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA
    For me it's the OLED, you can't beat walking past it and seeing the light on and wondering what it could possibly recording at this hour, sticking your head closer to it and smiling at what the OLED is telling you.

14. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I would vote for the Tivo HD, just because it's (slightly) newer and easier to upgrade hard drives on (you can use the jmfs CD)… even though I wish Tivos had the front display like the OLED S3 does.

15. WO312

WO312 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Finger...
    You can put a 2 TB drive in the HD using jmfs. I have one in mine. So do plenty of people.

16. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    I'd go for the OLED unit. I loved mine and miss it. I upgraded to the Premiere but I really do still miss my OLED unit. It was so pretty!

17. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    I vote for the OLED or TCD648 for the following reasons,

1. Front panel shows you what is recording and has a clock.
    2. Front panel controls, easier to program one remote for two TiVos
    3. Can be upgraded to 2TB with WinMFS and v11.0K of the software
    4. THX certification
    5. Does NOT suffer from the dreaded "Blinking Green LED of Death". I have two TiVoHDs (652) with this problem. There is nothing you can do to fix it, the motherboard is dead. With the 648, you have the option of a crypto chip transplant, if you want to save your lifetime subscription. The 652 and 658 will not let you do this. The crypto chip is split in those models.
    6. If you want, you can reroute the cables and have the hard drive in an external enclosure. Just an option.
    7. the 648 looks nicer (to me).

Just my 2 cents,

robomeister

18. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You can use WinMFS to put a 2TB drive in either model provided you've already got version 11.0k of the TiVo OS on the source drive or an image made from one, so that's a wash.

The power supply capacitor problem seems evenly distributed between the 648's supply and the two models used in the 652/658, so that's a wash.

The OLED model was the much more expensive of the two when new, so perhaps it's worth more used, subscription status being equal.

And it seems there are more reports of a somewhat baffling partial or total failure of one of the two tuners (but not necessarily the same on from one machine to the next) on the 652/658 models than the 648 model, so there's that to keep in mind.

And for those foolish enough to use an external drive, the 648 can use a wider range of brands, sizes, and models than the HD/HD XL models.

19. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    Ask if they'll lifetime both the HD and the Series 3 for $99 each. It can't to ask.

20. CAAvidTivoUser

CAAvidTivoUser New Member

May 9, 2013
    Nice looking and seeing what is recording is a plus.