Which S3 question are we most tired of hearing?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by classicX, Sep 7, 2006.

What S3 question are you tired of hearing?

1. Will the S3 work with satellite?

37 vote(s)
    23.9%
  2. Will the S3 map QAM without a cablecard?

7 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. How much will the S3 cost?

25 vote(s)
    16.1%
  4. Will the S3 make toast?

15 vote(s)
    9.7%
  5. All of the above.

30 vote(s)
    19.4%
  6. Stop with the stupid polls!

41 vote(s)
    26.5%
  1. Sep 7, 2006 #1 of 22
    classicX

classicX Don't scream.

May 10, 2006
    Miles away...
    Don't we wish some people would just read the rules instead of registering and asking the same questions over an over?

I've haven't recently seen one that had a post count of more than 6.

2. Sep 7, 2006 #2 of 22
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Actually the one thing I seem to keep having to explain is that while the S3 does support multi-stream CableCARDs it does not, and will not, support CableCARD 2.0. People seem to think that one equals the other, and that is simply not the case.

Dan

3. Sep 7, 2006 #3 of 22
    greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Anybody know what day it will be released?

4. Sep 7, 2006 #4 of 22
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Actually, the one I'm most sick of is "Which S3 question are we most tired of hearing?"

5. Sep 7, 2006 #5 of 22
    jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    The cost

But I really should have voted "Will it work with satellite" (or "Will it work with a cable box")

6. Sep 7, 2006 #6 of 22
    JustAllie

JustAllie Number crunchin'

Jan 4, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    "When can people buy one."

Hopefully that issue will be resolved soon.

7. Sep 7, 2006 #7 of 22
    HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    I'm guessing before other animals.

But the question I am most tired of seeing is "will there be any way to get Lifetime on an S3?"

8. Sep 7, 2006 #8 of 22
    Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    Wait till people are buying them.

We'll hear all kinds of stuff here.

- How do I hook it up ?
    - Why can't I get this piece of crap S3 to work with my 15 year TV ?!
    - Do I need a phoneline ?
    - I don't want to use the cablecards, why can't I watch HBO ?

9. Sep 7, 2006 #9 of 22
    maki

maki New Member

Oct 23, 2003
    Minneapolis
    I wish it made toast. I need a better toaster.

10. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    Why does it cost so much?

Can't they take out some features and make it cheaper or add a couple to the DT ?

11. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    <bracing for action ... >

Is it time for a new S3 forum?

<ducking and running>

12. TechDreamer

TechDreamer New Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Torrance, CA
    I'm tired of people acting like a moderator.

The real problem is that Tivo took to long getting into HD in the first place. Why did they start talking about it so long ago if they were not going to be serious? Anyway this time lag has left us with very boring Tivo discussions.

13. montivette

montivette Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Minnesota
    I am a recent Tivo forum reader and just recently a forum poster. I have never owned a Tivo and I have lots of questions and know very little.

What I do know is countless threads on Series 3 asking the same questions over and over is typical of what happens on most forums when a new product comes out which people are interested in.

Sure the newbies could try to use the search feature, they could read through lengthy threads and they might deduce the answer on their own after an hour or so of searching and reading.

Because they don't take the time to search and read long term forum members will jump on them for not learning how to search or mock their questions. I do not see too much of that happening on this forum, but it is rather bad on a different forum I participate in.

After the newbies read enough posts where forum members jump on other form members for asking the same questions over and over, the newbies will be afraid to post or participate in the forum cause they don't want to get bashed.

Anyways, this long overdue Series 3 Tivo is going to draw lots of new Tivo owners to the forum who have never owned one or used one and for sure for over the next year you are going to see many, many repeated questions. And many are going to seem like really basic questions that everyone should know the answer to.

I post this just to remind the long term Tivo forum members to have some patience with the new people who don't know how to search or choose not to search as it takes them less time to just ask the question and wait for a response than to do a search. And long term, getting the new people involved in the forum will bring in fresh blood and ideas and keep the forum active.

OK I know the search feature is not hard to use, but I bet you all have been on a website such as Sony, JVC, etc reading countless pages trying to find an answer, and two hours into it you say to yourself, "what the heck am I wasting all this time for?" You stop searching, call the customer service people and have an answer in two minutes. Some feel this way with a search feature.

Example: I have read via the search feature 15 or 20 threads hoping to find out if the Series 3 can transfer recordings to a series 2 and vice versa. I didn't find an answer, it might be there on some thread, or it might not. It would take me only two minutes to make a new post and ask the question versus 20 minutes or more of searching old posts. It takes less time to ask the question than it does to search and read. People would rather save time and just ask the question and come back and look at the reply.

If you want less questions and duplicate threads post a Tivo Series 3 FAQ in the forum section where most series 3 posts are located and lock the thread so only the moderator can edit the FAQ. The FAQ would either have common questions with links to threads which answer the questions or would have both the questions and answers and would be edited by a moderator to keep it up to date.

I know we have a Sticky with a link to some other Tivo Site FAQ. But it does not cover totally the questions and interests of this forum and has no information about Tivo Series 3. It does have lots of good information however.

Maybe when the Tivo Series 3 comes out Tivo will their own FAQ for it. But I still think the members of this forum have questions which go beyond those in the MFG FAQ.

14. HTH

HTH No Avatar Selected

Aug 28, 2000
    Lincoln, NE
    Are we there yet?

15. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Not yet my little Smurfs.

16. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    The problem is that almost all of what we know is speculation.

Putting together an FAQ doesn't help much if we don't have the A's to the Q's.

17. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    <tim the toolman taylor grunt query> Uuugh? </tim>

18. garlic

garlic New Member

Jan 4, 2005
    FAQ is frequently asked questions. The answers may not be known, but you can still put that we don't know yet in there.

19. montivette

montivette Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Minnesota
    Even if it is speculation it could at this early stage have FAQs and preface them with the explanation of "The following answers are based on what is currently believed based on press releases, interviews, and in some cases based on speculation and are subject to change." Someday when Tivo finally releases some information or actually ships a product then it the incorrect speculation can be changed to what is know to be true.

I believe the long term Tivo owners and forum posters have more knowledge about the expected features than would the newbie people. You guys probably have seen the video online, and read all the reports from the show last January. Heck maybe right now you could just place links to the video, and links to articles online about the Series 3. So people who want to see the Series 3 beta operate, or see images, or read about it could find all the links on one page together rather the search all over the web or forum posts looking for links.

Something like this:
    Video from CES 2006:
    http://www.gearlive.com/index.php/n...ries-3-video-interview-first-look-0108051437/

Article from 1/6/2006
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060106-5915.html

The problem is other than the show in January Tivo seems to not have said squat about the Series 3. It is kind of boring when the newest information is from January. You would think they would purposely leak information or post some basic specifications to create a buzz or excitement. Either they are nowhere close to selling the Series 3, or one day they are just going to quietly ship it to stores with no fanfare or forewarning. Seems strange to me. Maybe it is a Apple type of strategy. Say nothing and try to surprise everyone with an announcement right before release of the product.

OK so a FAQ is tough when nobody has any information.

20. HomieG

HomieG Nowhere Man...

Feb 17, 2003
    Somewhere...
    I've been meaning to ask:

Will the S3 work with satellite? Will the S3 map QAM without a cablecard? How much will the S3 cost? Will the S3 make toast? Why do women cost so much? Why is the world round?

;)