Which power saving settings

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Barnstormer, Sep 23, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Barnstormer

Barnstormer Member

Sep 23, 2015

Advertisements

Hi!

I am a brand new Tivo owner. I have never had a DVR before except for a Homeworx 150 which worked OK if one was a geek. ;)

I really enjoy what the Tivo can do and exploring it's features. But, there are a few areas that I will need some help.

One of the first is what settings to use for the power saving feature. I have four choices from no power savings to having the Tivo go into power saving after two hours.

What settings do people use and why? Is there anything I should know about power saver settings before I start using it?

From what I have read any setting to record future shows will wake up the Tivo from the power saving mode. Correct?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  3. thefisch

thefisch Member

Jul 25, 2015
    I think there was a thread (perhaps the one linked above) where someone measured the power draw in standby and it was a minimal savings. I don't use power savings at all.

4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    This is why some questions are hard to answer. I don't know how "asleep" a TiVo ever gets, so does it need to "wake up"? All I am sure of is that the audio and video are disabled. Some feel, and have proven, that the HDD does power down. That would start a whole pile of posts on whether it's better to let a HDD designed to run 24/7 have a power cycle daily (or more often).

My AVR has a four hour inactivity timer with a 30 second countdown. On some days I see it pop up. It's rare. Since I'm old, I will usually set a 60 minute timer on my TV and AVR late at night.

I used to watch a Sony EX700 series TV. It had a motion sensor which I loved. If it didn't detect movement after 15 minutes the screen would blank. After 30 minutes it would power off. All adjustable too. I miss that.

I suggest you enable the power saving and see if you like it. If not, turn it off. Don't worry, recordings are not affected. Each setting explains how it works on the screen.

5. 59er

59er TiVotee

Mar 27, 2008
    New York, NY

Advertisements

I never use power savings or standby.

6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Neither do I. But I tried it. Funny how Standby is different than the Premiere also.

7. smithken31100

smithken31100 Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Hockeytown
    I didn't know there were power saving settings on a Tivo.

8. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I use them all the time since they were added. I use the two hour setting. Plus when in standby, with no tuners buffering/recording, I can get around 220Mb/s transfer rates to my PC. A nice speed increase when using standby.