Which other PVR are you moving to ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by mikerr, Mar 18, 2011.

Which PVR are you moving to?

1. Virgin TiVo or V+

14.4%
  2. Sky+

15.2%
  3. Humax Freeview

13.6%
  4. BT Vision freeview

1.6%
  5. Other Freeview PVR

1.6%
  6. Humax Freesat PVR

13.6%
  7. Other Freesat PVR

0.8%
  8. Windows Media Center

15.2%
  9. Other PC based PVR

5.6%
  10. Stick with Thomson TiVo S1 replacement service!

49.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK

Advertisements

With the service closing for Thomson S1 users,
    - even if the service will continue unofficially via 3rd parties -
    many of us are moving on to other PVRs, so it's time for a poll:

Which PVR are you moving to?

Please post details if choosing "other freeview PVR" etc.

(I know there is the options thread, but this is just for seeing where people are/have moved to)

2. CarlWalters

CarlWalters Yo Ho TiVo!

Oct 17, 2001
    RG4,...
    1 x TiVo FreeSat (UK Alternate EPG)
    1 x TiVo FreeSat (UK Alternate EPG)
    1 x PlayTV FreeView

3. katman

katman New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    East Anglia
    Already have 2 SKY+ boxes and a lifetime Tivo

Main day to day recording is on the main SKY+ box, the second is for the kids and Tivo which reliable picks up my fave programs unlike Sky+

Have no interest in Freeview as most of the programs I like are only on Sky and Virgin and as I have said many times before, cant get virgin despite being only 15 metres away.

Interested in exploring Win7 media centre once I have a desktop man enough to run it.

4. BlackPrince

BlackPrince Reincarnated user

May 16, 2009
    I'm not replacing it with a device at all. I'll be using just iPlayer and similar for the stuff for which I don't want to wait to rent a DVD.

5. johnscott99

johnscott99 New Member

Sep 23, 2002
    Hull

Advertisements

Got a Humax HDR T2 - 50)Gb

Works a treat.

Still gonna use the TiVo - unless they somehow disable it.

6. johala_reewi

johala_reewi New Member

Oct 30, 2002
    Southampton UK
    Hopefully will be able to use the replacement S1 service until DSO (2012) when we will finally get freeview HD. Will then check out what's available in the HD arena (DTT or Sat). If no S1 service, will check out MythTV or get a Humax freesat box.

7. cashew1970

cashew1970 New Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Co. Durham
    I have Sky+ (reinstated after the announcement of EPG) (Just for stuff on Sky Only channels, and when i want to remote record things)
    I have a Humax Fox HD T2 for everyday stuff (much prefer the interface on this)
    and an Old Humax 9300 just doing "Friends" (the TV fillers!)

8. Paulg

Paulg New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    MythTV for me. A pain in the proverbial to set up, but its been working well since. Recordings from a DVB-T card are in MPeg2 format so are easy to edit and play

9. AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England
    MCE on Windows 7 with extenders is the plan. I'll also hope to keep my Tivo on with the new EPG.

10. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    TiVo S1 for me. (can't afford anything else)

11. katman

katman New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    East Anglia
    Aint that the truth !!!

I also have an unsubbed Tivo that I was given which I hope to be able to use once the alternate EPG becomes available.

I have yet another Tivo sitting in the garage which I bought a couple of years ago from eBay but it pixellates the display. Not sure if its the motherboard or just a duff hard disc. May revisit that machine once the new EPG is ready.

12. Nebulous

Nebulous New Member

Nov 28, 2005
    I went to Windows Media Centre because it gives me a user interface nearly as good as Tivo (IMHO), plus that ability to record in HD on multiple channels at the same time.
    I got it just before the news of the end of the EPG service, so that did not influence my decision.

13. WindyMiller

WindyMiller New Member

May 21, 2005
    Maidenhead
    Sticking with my TiVo S1 for now (assuming the replacement EPG comes to fruition), but hoping that YouView might provide something worth replacing it with in due course.

14. LarryDavid

LarryDavid New Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Ordered a 2nd hand SKY+ box off ebay. Order had problems, buyer felt so bad he sent me THREE (yes! Three!) SKY+ boxes. So, have an octo LNB waiting for install and cable running.

However, if (when) Murdoch gets the rest of BSkyB (what a stitch up that is by the ConDems) the SKY is getting cancelled and will most likely replace with a Humax Freesat.

In either situation, was going to use the TiVo with replacement service along with the old standard SKY box as an 'extra' recording facility.

15. Steve_K

Steve_K Member

May 5, 2001
    Sussex, UK
    I wouldn't Larry. The user interface on Sky+/HD isn't as good as TiVo (but not as bad as BT Vision) and Sky+ does the need the occasional reboot but the recording quality is excellent and they are slowly improving the user interface.

16. Jolltax

Jolltax New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    I have bought a load of components and am going to build an HTPC which will do HD freeview, satellite, network media and blu-ray :up:

If the 'alternative epg project' comes through I will continue to use TiVo but we will no longer be using it as our primary box any more - its about time we went HD anyway so i am using it as an excuse to buy a new telly as well.

Jolltax

17. adrianw

adrianw New Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Cheshire
    Bought a Humax 9300T.
    Canceled Sky. I'll miss Sky Arts.

18. Paul_J

Paul_J New Member

Jan 9, 2001
    Dunmow,...
    I Have bought a second sky+ box and upgraded the HDD very cheap as the box was £27 pounds delivered and I already had a spare 500gb HDD. Left this being controlled by the TiVo but started setting series links. Not as good as TiVo but gives me options. Roll on the alternative EPG must be the best option.

19. tonywalk

tonywalk New Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Broadbottom,...
    I bet Tivo are watching this poll and sobbing. If only they'd offered a Freeview box.

20. Buzby

Buzby VM Tivo & S1 User

Feb 21, 2011
    Scotland
    Doubt it. I'm moving to VM TiVo, and will retire my S1 next week !