Which MoCa adapter for bolt 1000 gig?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by tomoastler, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Jan 9, 2016 #1 of 23
    tomoastler

tomoastler New Member

Dec 12, 2015

Advertisements

Hi, i have a new Bolt 1000 gig from TiVo. I understand that all I need is one adapter as the Bolt has its own built-in and any mini that I add has it also built-in. So which actiontec moca adapter do you recommend? I see multiple singles on the actiontec website. One is called "bonded" and is rated for 1000 gbps.
    Amazon has several as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Jan 9, 2016 #2 of 23
    tomoastler

tomoastler New Member

Dec 12, 2015
    Oh and I'm using Comcast, and Tivo told me i didn't need the tuning adapter.

3. Jan 9, 2016 #3 of 23
    BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Any of the actiontecs are fine. Personally I prefer to have an RF-out on the adapter for a simpler setup.

The ECB6200 (moca 2.0) will be a little more expensive than the ECB2500 (moca 1.1), but will future-proof you a little better.

Either will do the job.

4. Jan 9, 2016 #4 of 23
    theroar84

theroar84 New Member

Jan 8, 2016
    If you have ethernet drops for the entire house... is there any reason Moca would be better? Thanks. Mike

5. Jan 9, 2016 #5 of 23
    BigJimOutlaw

Mar 21, 2004

Advertisements

If ethernet is freely available, they might as well use it. Only reason for them to really consider moca would be a desire to keep the traffic offloaded from their ethernet network.

6. Jan 9, 2016 #6 of 23
    Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    Dumb question, please explain like I'm 5 what I need to connect a Tivo Stream and a bolt to my network. The Bolt is using wireless.

7. Jan 9, 2016 #7 of 23
    BigJimOutlaw

Mar 21, 2004
    The Stream or the Mini? The Stream (for ios/android streaming) might be unnecessary if you have a Bolt because its capability is built into the Bolt.

If you mean the Mini (streaming to other televisions), the Mini and Bolt need to be wired. This can either be by ethernet or over moca (or a combination).

Check out the first post in this thread for moca information:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=501722

8. Jan 9, 2016 #8 of 23
    Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    Oh the mini.

9. Jan 9, 2016 #9 of 23
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Are you using the adapter to connect your Bolt to your router? Other wise I am not sure why you need an adapter, the Bolt can create a MOCA network itself as long as you can connect your Bolt to your Router by Ethernet (or wirelessly which I would not recommend).

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  10. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Your Mini needs to be connected to your Bolt via a wired network (either Ethernet or MoCA). Because you have your Bolt connected to your Router via wireless that means you will use your Bolt to setup a MoCA network (which uses your COAX wiring) and connect your Mini to it via COAX.

If you do not have a COAX wiring that your mini has access to, you can also connect your Mini to your router via Ethernet however you would then also have to connect your Bolt to your router via Ethernet (not wirelessly).

There are also more complicated ways you can do this depending on what wiring you have ware, that might require buying other devices.

11. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    Sweet. Thanks for the info

12. MrCoolDu4

MrCoolDu4 New Member

May 18, 2002
    So I have a Bolt and a Mini. I use the Bolt to run the Moca network and I guess it backfeeds a signal through the coax to the splitter for the Mini. It works perfectly for streaming without any type of adaptor. What is the purpose of an adaptor?

13. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Assuming you have your Bolt connected to your router via Ethernet (or WiFi) likely no purpose at all.

However if you want to connect your Bolt to your router via MoCA and the router doesn't have MoCA built in then you would need an adapter at the router.

14. BigJimOutlaw

Mar 21, 2004
    An adapter would be used to create the moca network if the Bolt can't be connected directly to the router itself by ethernet. For example, the router is in the second floor office but the Bolt is in the first floor livingroom.

An adapter can also be used to connect non-moca devices to the network. Such as older 2-tuner Tivos, blu-ray players, smart TVs, game consoles, computers, etc. Anything that would benefit from a wired connection.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  15. tomoastler

tomoastler New Member

Dec 12, 2015
    This is correct. To answer atmuscarella my bolt and mini have no ethernet anywhere around them but there is a router/modem a floor above them. So i think i do need one adaptor to create the MoCa on my coax. However I am assuming perhaps wrongly that my router does not have MoCa built-in. Its a comcast router made by Arris Group model number TG862G/CT.

16. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Yes without Ethernet you will need to buy a MoCA adapter (I would get a newer MoCA 2.0 adapter) for your router's location. I do not think (but don't know for certain) that Comcast routers have MoCA built in. Just a side note by using a MoCA adapter at your router to create your MoCA network there is a side benefit in that the Ethernet port on your Bolt will function as a one port Ethernet switch and provide Ethernet at your Bolt's location for other devices.

17. tomoastler

tomoastler New Member

Dec 12, 2015
    After seeing the $100 price tag on the bonded moca 2.0 actiontec moca adapter, would I be better off buying a residential gateway to replace my rented $10 per month Arris from Comcast? I see I may be able to get one for around $200 with built-in Moca and avoid buying an adapter completely for my proposed Bolt and Mini (in future) setup. Not sure though how much help Comcast will be finding the best one. Anyone with any idea? The Moca website says theres a Technicolor gateway rated for Moca 2.0.

18. tomoastler

tomoastler New Member

Dec 12, 2015
    Forgot to add that I called Arris and my present gateway does not indeed have Moca built in as we guessed.

19. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=Verizon+FIOS+Quantum+Gateway+G1100&_sop=15
    You could use one of the above, just connect the Ethernet from the cable modem to the Ethernet WAN port. It has MoCA 2.0 and AC wireless.
    If you want a little cheaper, you could also use an Actiontec W1424WR Rev I, but these are 2.4 GHz only and MoCA 1.1.
    EDIT: You would still need a cable modem. I would recommend the SB6183 which goes for about $100. Your payback on that would be 10 months.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  20. tomoastler

tomoastler New Member

Dec 12, 2015
    Isn't there anything thats all in one out there? Seems like my point is to simplify and pay less eventually. And im not sure about performance. Will it be better than with a router modem gateway?