Which is the best Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by KTKelly, Aug 29, 2020.

1. KTKelly

KTKelly New Member

May 7, 2010

Advertisements

I need to buy another Roamio OTA, for a second location, and am wondering which is the best version?

I have one at the beach and the only thing wrong with it, is that the guide info will only display print in 480, so it's not very clear. Picture however is pristine, which is kind of strange.

2. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    The guide info display is the same on all Tivos. Just depends on which software version you load, TE3 or TE4. I find TE4 easier to read, but others feel exactly the opposite.

The "best" Roamio is the one that has the best price and the features you want. So what features are you looking for, and what's your price point, keeping in mind the user interface is exactly the same on all Tivos? If I were only interested in OTA, I'd go for another OTA.

3. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    There are three Roamio models that can record OTA. The TCD846000 was sold exclusively with all-in service and came with a 1TB drive. Some of the TCD846510 were sold with lifetime service. None of the TCD846500 were sold with lifetime service and it can also be used for cable but not at the same time as OTA. Look for the TCD846000, but if you see one of the other two make sure it has lifetime service or don't pay more than $20 for it and subscribe to a monthly or yearly subscription.

TiVo Roamio Series5 - TCD846500
    TiVo Roamio OTA Series5 - TCD846510
    TiVo Roamio OTA Series5 - TCD846000

Dan Cour likes this.
  4. winkybil

winkybil New Member

Aug 31, 2020
    Roamio died (stuck in endless reboot loop). Bought it off EBay over 5 years ago with a lifetime service. I only use it for OTA recording because I use Apple TV for everything else. What is the best basic box that has more or less the same features? I want OTA (digital antenna) recording and the guide view. Don’t need cable or streaming. Prefer to upgrade to something newer so it will have a long life.

snaptube vidmate word to pdf

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  5. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA

Advertisements

If it's a failed hard drive, why not just replace the hard drive (test it in your PC with the manufacturer's tools)? Power supply is another failure point.

Scott