Which is the best/better Tivo recorder brand?

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by marcb515, Dec 11, 2005.

1. marcb515

marcb515 New Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Brick, NJ
    We have a Sony which is about 3 years old, and want to buy another unit for our bedroom. I'm reading what appears to be a loy of problems with the Humax brand??

What brands you guys using out there that's a good quality.

Thank you,....marc&joan

2. justmike

justmike This space for rent

Dec 20, 2004
    Lower...
    I have two Humax units one DVD one non-DVD and I like them both. Never had a lick of problems with either. Had the DVD one since last Christmas and got the other one just a little after that. Hope that helps. Mike

3. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    And the Humax and Toshiba DVD-RW units are really the same thing with different faceplates and different size drives.

4. wi.tivo.fan

wi.tivo.fan New Member

Oct 30, 2004
    I have had a 40hr Series 2 TiVo for 15 months. Thinking about the Humax burner model to save me time.

I am getting the impression that the Humax is not a Series 2 device. Does that mean it won't function with TiVoToGo?

What would I lose if I give away my Series 2?

5. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    All of the TiVo DVD units are Series2 units. They have all the features of the box you have now.

6. cdeckert219

cdeckert219 technogeek

Jan 7, 2006
    San Diego
    We got a Humax DRT-400 for Christmas and love it. Burning DVDs is a snap....burned about 30 DVD-R without any problems. Discs read in our standard DVD players. I've used Memorex 16x, CompUSA 4x, and Fry's GQ 4x.

hth