Which is better rf2link or Skyeye

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by salva, Jul 16, 2005.

1. salva

salva New Member

Aug 6, 2003

Advertisements

Well, after using the IR leads for abt two years now, the errors on changing channels now are unbearable.

I'm looking after a RF2 channel lead to tivo, the rf2link and the skyeye have poped out from the search, they are silmilarly priced.

- What is the best option ?

I read that some ppl has had problems with the rf2link, but seems to be only a few.

Salva

2. xxxx

xxxx New Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Over the...
    I've been using a Sky-Eye for ages. Works perfectly. Cheap (cheaper than the competition when I last looked). Sold by a nice helpful chap.
    What more can you ask for?

3. iankb

iankb New Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Reading, UK
    Using the SkyEye RF2T with no problems.

4. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet New Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Spectrum...
    Am using my Tivo with both a Panasonic TUDSB20 Sky box and a BT IPlayer+ DTT box and not getting any issues with channel changing problems using the IR wands.

I used to get some issues with my Philips OnDigital DTT box from time to time.

From what I have heard these RF2 link leads are not 100% reliable either so I wonder if its really worthwhile using one.

Are you using the codes for the Grundig box with whatever make of Sky box you are using. All Sky boxes use the same codes as they have the same remote and for some reason the Grundig Sky box codes are much more reliable than any of the other Sky box codes and also work with all Sky boxes.

5. salva

salva New Member

Aug 6, 2003

Advertisements

I'm using 10016 under Sky brand (tryed all speeds), 1 in ten channel changes fail. Digibox is Pace 2600, this has started to happen since last software update.

Salva

6. Captain Scarlet

Sep 12, 2003
    Spectrum...
    Change to the Grundig codes and your problems will disappear

7. xxxx

xxxx New Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Over the...
    Rather than rely on hearsay:

I've got one. Had it for ages. It works perfectly (the Tivo wand and blaster certainly don't for me). It is cheap. It also removes the red dot. :up:

Please note that mine is a SkyEye model and not the Pacelink product.

8. OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    The only time why RF2link has failed - is when the Sky box has picked up other IR signals. This was fixed by putting some insulating tape over the Digibox IR sensor.

9. Captain Scarlet

Sep 12, 2003
    Spectrum...
    Sky have now modified the software for all current and past Sky Digiboxes so that there is an option to have the Red Dot automatically remove itself 30 seconds after a program starts. Its an option you have to turn on in one of the menus.

With my Freeview and Tivo box setup I don't think I could use one of these RF2 links, unless there is any way to split the output from the Tivo IR socket. Anyhow there seems no need to do this as with the Grunding codes my Panasonic TUDSB20 changes channels 99.5-99.7% reliably.

10. xxxx

xxxx New Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Over the...
    I know. However this doesn't include the Sky+ (yet).
    Also I've been without the red dot (sob!) for nearly three years. :up:

Probably not.

For those with a regular Tivo/Sky combination the SkyEye is great investment and I recommend it.

11. salva

salva New Member

Aug 6, 2003
    Rigth, my problem is funny. If I put the IR blaster rigth in front of the IR receiver of the Pace 2600 I get lots of channel change errors, If I put the IR blaster one inch away I got 90% reliable channel changes.

I guess that I will go for the sky eye.

Salva

12. Captain Scarlet

Sep 12, 2003
    Spectrum...
    If you read the Tivo instructions you will find that they state you should put the IR wands at least an inch from the IR window on your cable, Sky or dtt box.

One of the main reasons for that is because the IR receiver in the font of the digital box to be controlled may not actually be at quite the place in the plastic perspex window that you may assume it to be.

13. Mark Bennett

Mark Bennett New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Farnborough,...

THANK YOU! :D :D :D

I had heard this was "coming" and was awaiting the download... I thought I had not got it yet - I didn't realise that I would have to turn "on" this feature.

Enabled (disabled?) it last night. It worked! I didn't even need to stand in a pentagram and sacrifice a medium-size animal or anything :)

My other half was somewhat suprised to find me dancing around the room singing "Ding-dong the red-dot's dead, the wicked wicked red-dot's dead" :D

14. Captain Scarlet

Sep 12, 2003
    Spectrum...
    You mean unlike insalling TivoWeb or using its DailyMail add on interface which appears to require the use of all of the black arts described above. ;) :D :D :D

15. mesaka

mesaka travelling member

Sep 27, 2002
    I use RF2link and it works perfectly for me. My only criticism is that the lead is very short. If you have a lot of distance (mine is one shelf above the other which is the upward limit for the lead) between your digibox and TiVo that might be an issue.

16. Rob Nespor Bellis

Rob Nespor Bellis Grumpy Sod

Feb 17, 2001
    ~, Brighton, UK
    I have used both.

The rf2link does exactly what it says on the tin, it was first to market and works.

But, the SkyEye is exceptional, it does more of what I want ( remember if you turn on a Digibox via RF2 there is no RGB and no widescreen switching ) so a dual head where you can send the channel change via RF2 and Sky key via IR are simply great. The manufacturer is very helpful. Worth every penny. FYI I use a SkeEye Acme ( here )

Rgds,

R.

17. steveroe

steveroe Must do some work...

Oct 29, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    A standard "headphone" extension cable or the like can be used the extend the lead

18. kitschcamp

kitschcamp Tweaked and poked

May 18, 2001
    Adelaide,...
    I use a skyeye and have done for several years. Easily the most reliable method I've used of changing channels via the tivo.

19. salva

salva New Member

Aug 6, 2003
    Received the Skyeye and first impressions are good, very good.

Having had the tivo for the best of two years and knowing the behaivor of the IR wands, The SkyEye works much better that I expected, I tried the unit to fail a channel change by sending ir commands with other remotes and the tivo simply waits a little and sends the channel change.

So very recommended, tks for your help.

Salva

20. asantaga

asantaga New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Hi all,

Im having problems with my IR setup with my tivo and Im considering the SkyEye approach (or rf2link)..

Looking at SkyEye, its much much cheaper, but how do you use it??

From looking at the web (ebay), skyeye has a connector for the RF and a IR receiver.. .. How do I wire this into the Tivo to get around the IR???

(Sorry if this is a stupid question...)