Which is better if equal cost: Raomio Plus or Bolt 1Gb?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by nleavitt, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Dec 7, 2015 #1 of 15
    nleavitt

nleavitt New Member

Oct 9, 2012

Advertisements

OK, I know there has been a lot of discussion about this, and most of the time the cost factor dominates, but I'm interested in the technical differences between the Roamio Plus and the Bolt 1TB (so size won't matter!).

So, Imagine you won a contest, You pulled a sticker off a Big Mac and you won a free Tivo with Lifetime (All in) and you get to choose either a Roamio Plus or Bolt 1TB, which would you pick and why?

Just curious to break down the technical differences. With Roamios getting Quick Mode and Skip Mode eventually, what's the technical gap between the two (other than 4K and of course # of tuners)?

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  2. Dec 7, 2015 #2 of 15
    foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    4k, number of tuners, case design, speed of interface and apps, HDD form factor

In this case I would choose the Bolt because the Plus wont do OTA. I see some day us weening off Cable.

For cable only and no need for 4K? the Plus definitely.

3. Dec 7, 2015 #3 of 15
    trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    The Bolt is obviously the better model, but it doesn't have 6 tuners like the Plus does.

4. Dec 7, 2015 #4 of 15
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    This is sheer opinion. Compare the feature sets and decide which works best for you. There should be a new bolt next year for 4k and 6(+) tuners, as well as matching minis.

5. Dec 7, 2015 #5 of 15
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada

Advertisements

Speed difference is mostly negligible. 4K broadcast doesn't exist and most (all?) 4K TVs have 4K versions of Netflix and YouTube built in anyway. SkipMode is coming to the Roamio soon. So really it comes down to whether you need OTA support or not. If you need OTA, or think you might cut the cord soon, then go with the Bolt. If you know you're going to be with cable for a long time then the extra 2 tuners the Roamio provides is worth the other trade offs.

6. Dec 7, 2015 #6 of 15
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Obviously YMMV, many of us don't feel the current Bolt is an improvement if we're not yet going to 4K, it's down 2 tuners and we already know there's something coming for us later this year that should be the equivalent of a "Bolt Pro"

7. Dec 7, 2015 #7 of 15
    trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    Yeah but the Bolt Pro wasn't a choice. :D

And, other than the 6 tuners (which I mentioned,) the Bolt is the better model. I mean it's the same thing but faster silicon. Maybe I forgot something.

I do agree, as a Plus owner, I wouldn't upgrade to the Bolt. I would lose 2 tuners. And, while I would love the extra speed, the Roamio isn't slow. And the Bolt Pro would or should be more of the device I would want to upgrade to.

8. Dec 7, 2015 #8 of 15
    dmurphy

dmurphy Home Again

Jan 16, 2002
    The biggest question in my mind ... are you planning to add any TiVo Minis?

If so, the Plus, due to the extra tuners.

If not, the Bolt.

9. Dec 7, 2015 #9 of 15
    nleavitt

nleavitt New Member

Oct 9, 2012
    I meant 1TB in the title BTW. a 1GB Bolt of course wouldn't do much..:)

10. nleavitt

nleavitt New Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Interesting. I think for me, adding about 3 minis and staying with cable for a few years (Cox or Fios in my market) is a given at this point. Hopefully cablecards will still be supported.

11. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    By an extremely wide lead, the Roamio Plus is a better deal.

6 tuners instead of 4.
    3.5" form-factor hard drive offers more expansion options

4K is a non-issue. There's nothing to record at the moment, only streaming content to play, all of which could/would be playable through other means. While the TiVo might offer some convenience to do so via the same interface, it's in trade for 2 tuners and higher capacity, which, IMO is of no value at all. While you can combine 2 4-tuner Bolt's later, you have to manage the season passes/recording manually to spread them across both units, and you'll pay a second monthly fee to your cable provider for the second CableCARD, and you'd need to pay for service on the second TiVo. All of which add up to that being a particularly costly approach.

And with the potential of a 4K-capable Mini being usable with the Roamio, you might just get access to 4K streaming services easily enough through the same interface anyway with the Roamio, making the Bolt even less important.

In any event at current pricing, I would never recommend the All-In service level anymore, anyway. If payback isn't within about 3 years (or less), don't bother. You'd be better off keeping it easy to toss the old hardware and buy whatever is new at the time.

12. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Well right now the Bolt seems to be buggy-er for some people, but assuming upcoming software updates put both units on a software par here are the hardware plus/minuses I am aware of.

Bolt Minuses:
    1. 2 Less tuners
    2. Built in "Stream" only allows for 2 streams versus 4 for the Roamio Plus/Pro. Also some question if the Bolt's built in "Stream" function can stream from other Premiere/Roamio DVRs I think the current answer is still that it can not. Comments anyone?
    3. 2.5 inch hard drive limits hard drive upgrade option compared to Roamio's 3.5 drive.
    Roamio Plus/Pro Minuses:
    1. No 4K abilities
    2. Does not support OTA
    3. Older platform so support will likely end sooner than for the Bolt.
    4. Older version of Moca (1.? versus 2.0 for Bolt).
    5. Slower Processor and less memory so everything is slower. While the menus are faster on the Bolt the big difference here is how fast apps load with Netflix being significantly faster on the Bolt.

There have also been some assertions that the Bolt's built in Stream provides a higher quality stream than the Roamio Plus/Pro's and that Plex on the Bolt is also a higher quality stream than what is available on the Roamios (this maybe software?) Comments anyone?

Any other hardware differences?

Just a note on software, currently even with Software updated to 20.5.6 the Bolt's menus have had more items upgraded to the HDUI and the Roamios can still turn Clipping off. So I am not sure if upcoming software updates will ever really put the Roamios and Bolts on par. I do believe they will both eventually end up with the same apps and SkipMode.

13. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Bolt stream is currently limited to 1 stream, can not be used by any other TiVos and does not support out of home streaming.

From what I understand that will be expanded to 2 streams soon and out of home is in the works. I don't think it will ever support streaming from other TiVos like the one in the Roamio does, but unless you have a Premiere or basic Roamio you'll never need that functionality anyway.

14. jonw747

jonw747 Active Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Well, a Bolt + Lifetime sells for quite a bit more, so the clever thing to do would be to take the Bolt and sell it then buy what you actually want whether that's a Roamio or a Bolt Pro somewhere down the line.

Besides the Bolt design being downright offensive and kind of crappy, 4-tuners makes it crippled as a whole home hub.

15. mad.gunsmith

mad.gunsmith New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    I prefer the Plus with the 6 tuners the 4K is not here yet doth see the benefit of the volt until there is a 6 tuners volt