Which Hi Def Directv channels are flagged for "copy never" ?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Squonk, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Squonk

Squonk New Member

Jun 8, 2005

Advertisements

so that you can't even make a personal copy for your own use? for instance, if I want to make a DVD recording of a movie, even at a down rezzed level (480i), are there any channels that won't even allow me to do that? HBO? PPV movies? If so, isn't that a violation of the Personal use exception to the copyright act?

2. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    None that I am aware of.

3. JRAllas

JRAllas Spoiled by Tivo

Mar 26, 2006
    Crest Hill, IL
    My impression is that although the broadcast flag is functional, it will NEVER be used. If you believe that one turn on the runway lights, here comes Amelia Earhart.

4. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    I've never seen any kind of flag on DirecTV content, I've seen a flag on OTA content a couple time, but it didn't prevent it from being recorded or dubbed.

Most of the people seeing the copy never flag are on cable systems.

If anywhere on DirecTV, perhaps the PPV channels would have this flag.

phox

5. samo

samo New Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Littleton,...

Advertisements

PPV do not have any kind of flags either. I never had a problem recording a movie to DVDR.

6. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Have you tried the HD PPV channel(s)?

phox

7. taj2

taj2 New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I record HD PPV all the time. My understanding was that any recording issues would be with the DVD recorder and not channels, etc.

8. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Current TiVo software would recognize a "copy never" flag if present in the signal, but this has not legitimately been used yet. Some cable systems have been known to turn this on "accidentally".

9. jpeckinp

jpeckinp New Member

Apr 9, 2006
    I remember when HBO first aired the movie "The Dish" about 5 years ago or so they had the flag working. I remember seeing a little flag up in the corner on the info screen and no matter what I tried neither of my VCR's would record it, I would get about 5 to 10 seconds and it would shut down and the video it did catch was like a very bad interlacing job.

I have not seen it since.

10. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The "flag" we are talking about is not visible. It is encoded in a portion of the signal that is not displayed.

11. jpeckinp

jpeckinp New Member

Apr 9, 2006

I know that Steve. But on the info bar on the screen there was a little yellow flag that was displayed and when I inquired about it I was told that it meant that the episode could not be recorded and I was inclined to belive that since two of my VCR's done the same thing when I tried to tape it. And to make sure that the VCR's were not the problem I switched to another channel and could record just fine.

12. HDEye

HDEye New Member

Sep 3, 2006
    When I signed up for DirecTV in the fall of '05 I had the deal where I got all the channels for 3 months, and during that period I was unable record content on the Premium HD channels, but when I tried to save an HBOHD program to my DVD recorder it would not allow it. I never tried Showtime HD or any PPVs.

13. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    I've recently recorded from shohd and hbohd no problems on my panasonic E80 hard drive. And did one HD ppv over summer

14. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    HDNM and HBOHD to Panny E30 just this week, no problems.

15. ericL

ericL Abbie Normal

Jan 6, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Ever since I got a Sony DVD recorder, I have not been able to copy any HBO (standard def) shows to it. They work fine on my older Philips. Obviously something in the Sony recorder is recognizing something in the HBO programming. I bought the Sony because the Philips started having problems with its input where it would sporadically lose the input signal while it was recording. Kind of a bummer, to put it mildly.

16. taj2

taj2 New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I could be wrong but I thought because Sony owns a movie studio they have software in their DVD recorders that prevents movies from being recorded. I bought a Panasonic because I read they never had issues recording whereas Sony's did.

17. ericL

ericL Abbie Normal

Jan 6, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I could be mistaken but I think I also tried a non-movie, maybe Real Time w/Bill Maher, and it also didn't work. Although I was also unable to copy a movie from Cinemax but I figured since HBO and Max are related (or were, at least), it was still related to the network. It's been a while, though, so I can't remember exactly. I haven't really been using the recorder much lately.

18. jkast

jkast New Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Don't know if it's done with the copy never flag.... but I can't copy any of the XM channels.

19. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The XM channels are handled differently - it's just a software policy in the TiVo code that prevents you from setting up a normal recording for them. It is possible to trick the DTiVo into recording the XM channels, or if you have hacked your box, there is a patch to enable recording of the XM channels.

20. lmk911

lmk911 New Member

Dec 17, 2000
    Northern...
    Do you own a DVD/VCR combo recorder? I have the Sony RDR-HX900 and RDR-HX-715 DVD Recorders with HDD and I have not encountered any recording problems.