Which HD DVR To Get

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by teamjr, Sep 28, 2007.

1. teamjr

teamjr New Member

Jan 28, 2006

Advertisements

Hello,

I am currently using a HDVR2 dual receiver Tivo Directv box. I am a HUGE fan of Tivo software, but having a hard time understanding on how to proceed with HD. I also have the Directv H20 HD receiver, but want to upgrade to a dual receiver HD recorder. From what I understand, when Directv releases all their new HD channels the only recorder I will be able to use is the HR20?? Is this true? Is there any Tivo based units that will work?

Thanks JR

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    There are no TiVo-based units that will work for the new HD channels, including the 21 new channels that went live on Wednesday. Eventually, the TiVo-based HR10 will lose all HD content, though that is not going to happen immediately.

I am also a fan of TiVo software but the DirecTV software is good in its own way as well. If you want HD and you are sticking with DirecTV you don't have a choice.

3. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    For Directv and HD, very soon you will have no option for HD Content. Presently it is the HR20. Directv is working on the HR21 will will be its replacement.

4. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    I think the HR21 will end up being a companion unit rather than replacement since the HR21 doesn't seem to have ATSC OTA tuners like the HR20 does. Personally I like recording OTA and would not buy an HR21. ;)

5. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...

Advertisements

For those that get OTA than yes, but many of us do not get OTA. If best we get 1 Channel here, so its simply not worth messing with. And besides, its an exact copy of the CM on Directv's locals... lol.

So, I for one would gladly drop the OTA Tuners for some of the other benefits the HR21 may have.

And remember, the HR21 is not even released yet, so who knows? Maybe the test units had a different Tuner Setup and the release versions will have :D

6. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY