1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which hard drive and why. for older Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by jvnsuffolk, Oct 7, 2018.

1. jvnsuffolk

jvnsuffolk New Member

Jun 14, 2015
    I have had this for about 4 years. I believe its only a 500 gig hhd. I want to replace it. 1 or 2 terrabytes is good enough for me as I do not save shows. I watch them and delete them. can you tell me what is the best hhd. I have read WD's are what should be used. So I have to ask What happens if you use a seagate or another brand. and Also should I use a 7200 rpm or is the 54 sufficient. One more thing. I have seen vids were all you have to do is swap out the hhd and the tivo will write the software on it and your good to go. I don't have anything to keep on there so I can just go with the flow.
    Thanx

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    There are several threads about changing hard drives.

TiVo Roamio Hard Drive Upgrade, PART 1
    Roamio OTA Hard Drive Upgrade
    Best 3TB drive for Roamio

Those are just 2018.

3. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    A lot of newer Seagate drives use SMR (shingled) technology, which is a bad choice for TiVos. The WD Reds (not the Red Pro) are the current recommendation. WD10EFRX, WD20EFRX, etc.

5400 RPM drives are more than sufficient. All a higher RPM drive will get you is more heat and vibration.

Anything up to 3TB is a simple swap. You might want to use kmttg to back up your One Passes and channel list first - it's a lot easier to restore then after the new drives goes through Guided Setup than re-entering them by hand.

tim1724, aaronwt, kpeters59 and 2 others like this.
  4. jvnsuffolk

jvnsuffolk New Member

Jun 14, 2015

Great answer. Simple and to the point. thanx

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I can't argue with that for 3.5" drives, but I'm changing the 2.5" Seagate drive in my laptop with a 7200rpm drive. it uses less power too. But I don't have the models handy.

6. skypros

skypros Ex satellite dealer

May 18, 2015
    Bend, Oregon
    I will throw my 4ยข into this.
    I just upgraded my roamio plus from a 1 tb to a 3 tb...... and the physical swap was really easy.

I also watch and immediately delete 98% of my recordings........ The one thing I do - do is HORD shows.
    IE: I will record a whole season (like better call saul) and then binge watch..... So my 1 tb hard drive was really starting to be a challenge.
    Also here is something to consider when upgrading a tivo hard drive...... lets say some channel has a "marathon" on some show you would like to see (Like the complete walking dead that AMC just aired) where there are 100+ episodes.... You will appreciate the larger hard drive

Western Digital Red on Amazon 10.7.18
    WD10EFRX $65 - 1TB
    WD20EFRX $85 - 2TB
    WD30EFRX $108 -3TB

There is about $20 between them..... I would just go with the 3TB and be done with it..... That said, if you are thinking a 1TB is perfect...... Then I would definitely go for the 2TB hard drive..... $20 more is easy.... Spending $65 for a 1TB, and finding out you really need more space is allot more expensive.

The hardest part of the whole process was trying to figure out how the Heck KMTTG worked..... because I sure didn't want to load all these one passes back into the system.

Mikeguy likes this.
  7. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
  8. OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Member

Feb 18, 2016
    I say if you're going to do the surgery, then go big or go home. Because more is more!