Which File Formats Support Fast Forward & Rewind?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by jtcweb1, Mar 22, 2011.

1. jtcweb1

jtcweb1 New Member

Mar 21, 2011

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a new Tivo owner and am trying to figure out what formats support fast forward and rewind. My final goal is to make all of my videos available and I want to make sure they support this.

What I'm trying to do right now is copy episodes from a DVD TV Box set to tho Tivo to watch. I'm not concerned with reducing the video size with compression, I will delete the files after watching.

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If you're not concerned with saving space then just save the episodes as individual .mpg files.

Here is how I do this... First I rip the DVD to my hard drive using a decryption program. (I use AnyDVD, but any DVD ripping app should work) I then use VideoReDo to "Open Title From DVD" and select the large multi-hour title that contains all episodes. I then select each individual episode by marking the start and end and then click Trim Unselected. I then click Save As, select the MPEG2 Program Stream output and queue it to batch. When I'm done with all the episodes on the disc I run the batch to generate the individual files. Then I use pyTiVo Meta Generator to grab the metadata for each episode and then transfer them to my TiVo using pyTiVo as the server. This way they group into a folder with the episode title and information.

This process works good for TV shows. Movies not so good as there are issues with subtitles and multi-angles you have to worry about.

Dan