Which fast forward do you prefer?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by innocentfreak, Dec 18, 2011.

How would you prefer TiVo handle the fourth button press when FFing?

1. Fourth press does nothing

73 vote(s)
    45.6%
  2. Fourth press resumes playback

38 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. Don't care/make it a user option under settings

49 vote(s)
    30.6%
  1. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    With the recent update to 14.9, TiVo changed the fast forward response so that on the fourth press it doesn't go back to play. The old way obviously would resume playback. Which do you prefer?

2. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    I voted don't care make it user setting, but my user setting would be "A"
    when I do use it i always hit it to many times, and it goes back to play so I like that it doesn't.

3. DrewG5

DrewG5 New Member

Dec 13, 2011
    IMHO all TiVo units from all serious should have the same behavior when it comes to p/ff/rw. Its annoying not having that uniformity in the TiVo ecosystem.

4. tattube

tattube Member

Oct 23, 2010
    I voted 'Don't care..make it a user option under settings'

Actually, I do care, I have my preference...but feel everyone should have options.

5. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Couldn't think of an easy way to poll with user option and a choice. oh well since TCF doesn't allow you to change poll options or even your vote it doesn't matter much.

I have gotten to the point I don't care and could go either way. Would definitely prefer the option to choose though.

6. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I voted don't care, make it a user option. I would have voted for don't care, don't make it an option if that was a choice. I'm good with the new change and understand why they made the change. I think TiVo Software developers have better things to do.

7. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    My vote is don't care. I use 30 sec. skip w/ the replay button.

If I did care, I would be torn. When I do use FF, I know what to expect. I've always thought FF was flawed because an errent extra button press took you out of FF, but I got used to it.
    Now that the 'flaw' is fixed, I have to retrain my brain to hit play when I want to quit FFing.

8. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    another "don't give a damn as long as 30 sec skip/slide works"

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I mainly use the 30 second scan but I now use the FF/Rew keys probably 15% to 25% of the time when before it was probably less than 5%. So whether it's the new way or they give you an option to use the new way is fine with me. Since I more often than not would hit it a fourth time by accident.
    Since getting Elite with the new FF method I have been using it more than I used to since I don't have to worry about it going back to play anymore.

10. reneg

reneg Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2002
    I hate it being inconsistent between HDs & Premiere as I have both. I'd like to be able to set it to work one way between both generations.

11. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    It hasn't been very long since I upgraded my Series 3 and TiVo HD to the Premiere and Premiere Elite. I had no idea about pressing the advance key while playing a recorded program to get a 30s scan. That is very cool! :D

12. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Add me to the list of "Don't care/Add user choice". I have been using TiVo loooooong before there was a 30 sec skip, so I have always manually FF'ed. But I never used the 4th FF to play. However, with this thread, I forced myself to start using the 30sec skip, just to see if I could adjust. I think I can... might even like it more. Still testing.

13. warrensomebody

warrensomebody New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    After being a tivo user for 10+ years, I think it's unconscionable that they would change something like this now. Do you know how baked into my brain that 4th fast-forward click is??? I'm fine with a new user choice, but don't mess with with the default now.

...And for those of us on autopilot - tivo please - give us a fix!

14. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    I always considered clicking FF four times to be a mistake and as such the behavior undefined.

15. hillyard

hillyard Member

Nov 1, 2011
    that is annoying but the biggest gripe I have is the filter doesn't work on the premiere now and an email stating that they removed it and that i will be charged an etf if canceled. will at least the didn't screw with the hd model. I think that this is a material change to my contract and should be let out of the premiere as it doesnt work as sold to me.

16. Charles R

Charles R Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    I find it amazing that 44% of people want pressing a button to do nothing! If you want it to do nothing why do you care if I press it my video starts right where I want it to? :) Don't tell me you hit it by mistake all the time because I know you aren't that clumsy.

17. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Not all the time but more than 50% of the time when I was using the IR remote. I've only been using the BT remote with the new, better way:D, of FF.

So I don't know if I would still have the same issue using the BT remote as I did with the IR remote.

18. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I hit the button very rapidly 3 times and it used to not register all presses very frequently which would end up messing everything up trying to get back to 3x FF. Now I don't worry about it - just press FF several times rapidly to get to 3x FF. Much, much better in my books.

19. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    +1, but I think as over 50% would like the option TiVo should give users that option.

20. alorstar

alorstar New Member

Jan 9, 2012
    I hope Tivo realizes that the "option" vote is really 58% because the people who voted for the "option", really want the 4th press to resume playback. They, like me, are willing to let each Tivo owner choose their own preference.

If you take the 22% that want the 4th press to resume playback and add it to the 36% that say to make it a user option, I think you will get a more accurate precentage of people who really want the 4th press to resume playback but are willing to have it be a user option, bumping the "option" vote to 58%.

The 30 second skip doesn't cut it for me because you never know how many times you need to press it to get through the commerical package, and the time it takes to figure it out, Tivo will take you past the point of commercial end and clip a bit of the broadcast. It was brilliant how the 4th press of the Fast Forward would back up just enough to compensate for human reaction time to resume play. Without this asset, Tivo is just another DVR. PLEASE LISTEN TO US TIVO!!! Your Tivo owners have been loyal to you - it's time you make this right!