Which Fan can I use for Series2 Replacement?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by alangst, Aug 6, 2011.

1. alangst

alangst New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    My original TCD24008A fan has started making lots of noise and I'm looking to replace it. Weaknees has one for $20, but I'm looking to find one on Newegg.com for a bit cheaper.

However, I'm not sure which fan is the right kind. The size is 70mm and they have lots of those, but most have a 3 pin connector, instead of the 2 pin connector that I need for the series2.

Thanks for any help and or recommendations.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can use any type fan whether it has a 2 or a 3 pin/wire connector, the wires are red, black and white, you wouldn't need the white.

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    EDIT:

The possibility has arisen that I'm mistaken/misinformed about the size of the fan in that particular model.

allelectronics still has some neat junk, though

END EDIT

If you want to replace it instead of just lubricating it properly, this

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/CF-390/12VDC-80MM-COOLING-FAN/1.html

ought to work, but you'll have to splice the wires.

They're a surplus dealer, so no guarantees about how long the link is good for, but if they're sold out of that one, go to the main page and click on the fans link and see if they've got another one 80mm x 80mm x 25mm, 12V DC, 2 or 3 wire.

The third wire is a tachometer pulse that reports back to stuff that's set up for 3 wire plugs, but you can use just the positive and negative leads and tape off the metal end on the tach wire and fold it back and tape it to the 3-wire harness to keep it out of mischief.

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    AFAIK, they use a 60x60x25 fan. The stock fan uses a red and blue wire, red being positive.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I thought I was measuring the one in a 540 I had the cover off of, turns out it was a Series 1 Sony (maybe I'm silver/gray colorblind).

The 540, and a 649, have 70mm fans, so now I've got to go power down my 240 and take the top off to keep from going crazy wondering.

I hate the metric system.