1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which external HD can I add to my Bolt, now that WD does no longer...

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by GOW, Apr 18, 2017.

1. GOW

GOW New Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Which external HD can I add to my Bolt, now that WD does no longer makes the DVR expander HD's with eSata. They now only make USB 3 external drives. The few HD DVR Expander drives for sale are all $300 and over for a mere 1TB.

Can I use an internal drive in a case with eSata?

2. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    The standard recommendation here is, replace the current internal drive with a larger capacity drive. Relatively easy to do (undo a screw, pop the lid off, unscrew the drive and replace with the new, and reverse--the system will automatically prepare the drive). The drive of choice: a Toshiba 3TB.

Tivo Bolt hard drive replacement video

3. GOW

GOW New Member

Apr 18, 2017
    I understand that I will loose my warranty when i replace the internal HD. That's why i was looking for an external drive.

4. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    That issue has been discussed here, good point.

Remember that the warranty is 1-year; some people might wait until that point, to sub in a new drive.

My take-away from the earlier discussion: while TiVo could assert a break of the warranty, it typically has looked the other way. The occasions this has become an issue have tended to be where the user has called the hard drive to TiVo's attention or otherwise has created an issue. People often will hold on to the original hard drive in case warranty service is needed, and put the original back on that occasion.

5. Kimo

Kimo Member

Aug 3, 2002
    On a related note, for those of us who actually DO still own the old WD DVR Expanders (mine are so old that they are the earliest 500G units, but they've worked flawlessly on my Series 3 HD boxes), will these work in the Bolts or not?
    I recognize that no recorded shows will be transferred, and that's OK, but I've seen posts that advise along the full spectrum from NO they won't work at all through YES they'll work but you need to modify/buy a new SATA cable through YES, just plug and play and they'll work.
    Does anyone know for sure, before I take down the old systems?
    Thanks

6. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Yes the old WD 500GB/1TB units work with the Bolts and Yes you may need to get a different eSATA cable. If your eSATA cable doesn't work (Bolt doesn't see your unit after a reboot) call TiVo and ask for a free updated eSATA cable, so far they have provided the updated cables for free. My 1TB unit moved from my Series 3 worked without issues on my Bolt, but I think I had gotten another cable at some point in the past do to issues with the original cable.

Mikeguy likes this.
  7. Kimo

Kimo Member

Aug 3, 2002
    Thanks for this info. I now recall seeing a thread where the connector end (at the Bolt side) was trimmed/shaved so that it would fit.
    Nevertheless, I am now fully committed to holding my breath until TiVo sends me this updated eSATA cable . . .

8. jkeese01

jkeese01 New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Florida
    My Bolt finally saw the WD external hard drive with the same cable I used on the Series 3. Make sure to firmly press the cable into the Bolt (per Weaknees). I rebooted the Bolt a few times and was planning to just leave it on and see what would happen. About 30 minutes later I preformed the add an external drive procedure again. The Bolt rebooted itself, then a message appeared on the screen with the good news.

9. Kimo

Kimo Member

Aug 3, 2002
    Thanks for this info. Now I see why some earlier threads indicate that the Bolt end of the cable was trimmed a bit - although it is clear that yours worked without trimming. Just don't ever let that drive move even a fraction of an inch :)

10. Welshdog

Welshdog Tivo this, punk!

Jan 3, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I have one of the WD MyDVR drives, but I think there is something wrong with the drive. When connected to my old Series 3 it will cause crashing. Disconnected and unpaired from the WD, the Tivo runs great. I believe the drive was damaged when the Tivo had a failing power supply - now fixed.

Anyone know if I can replace the drive inside the housing? If so what drive can be used?

I'd like to fix this thing to use either on my Bolt or back on the old Series 3.

Thanks!

11. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    TiVo's "whitelist" for external drives is based on the model number and firmware version of the drive itself. It's extremely unlikely that you could find an exact match.

Welshdog likes this.