Which editor

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by daveshawuk, Dec 7, 2006.

1. daveshawuk

daveshawuk New Member

Sep 18, 2002

Advertisements

I am battling with my first experience of UNIX commands in 16 years ( it hasn't got any easier with age ! ). Can someone recommend the best editor to install on my TIVO and direct me to the source and some installation instructions. My searches reveal that people have variously used vi, joe, elvis, emacs etc. I just need something simple and with instructions for a diehard WIMP user.

Cheers

Dave

2. Paperface

Paperface New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    How to start a flamewar in one easy step... ;)

Personally, if I have to use a console text editor, I tend to use vim, because that is what I'm used to. Nano is pretty easy to start out with, but vim/emacs and the like are a lot more powerful when you start using them more indepthly.

If you can stand the learning curve, then use vim. If not start with nano :)

3. kitschcamp

kitschcamp Tweaked and poked

May 18, 2001
    Adelaide,...
    Nano/Pico are very nice to use. For basic text editing it really does the job with minimal fuss, and few commands to remember.

4. worm

worm Damn The Man!

Feb 10, 2005
    Coldstream...
    For the novice - Nano or Pico are definately the way to go.

5. AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England

Advertisements

If all you want to do is a bit of tinkering with config and start up then Joe is good enough.
    http://tivo.stevejenkins.com/network_cd.html has instructions and link to a download.

I haven't done anything more interesting so I can't say for more advance use.

6. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    The only file one normally needs to edit periodically with joe is tivoweb.cfg. Others like tivoweb with no extension come up on a one off basis.

There are Windows applications that can edit and save text files in UNIX format but the problem is you have to FTP the file to be edited off the Tivo on to your PC, edit them with the Linux compatible Windows text editor and then FTP them back.

As all one is normally editing is a line or two of text in tivoweb.cfg it hardly seems worth the effort and using Joe is really just as easy.