Which device do you use for streaming?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by wco81, Mar 10, 2021.

Which streaming device or ecosystem do you use?

1. AppleTV

31.0%
  2. Roku

40.7%
  3. Tivo DVR

13.3%
  4. Tivo Stream 4k

13.3%
  5. Nvidia Shield/Shield Pro

8.0%
  6. Fire TV devices

24.8%
  7. Google ChromeCast or Google TV

13.3%
  8. Smart TV

26.5%
  9. Other

4.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. wco81

wco81 Active Member

Dec 28, 2001
    San Jose, CA

Advertisements

Just curious which streaming ecosystem folks here are into.

I think I have just about every major streaming device listed.

2. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    My go to device is the Apple TV4K for everything except Hulu (as Hulu doesn’t do 5.1 audio on the ATV). My 2nd choice is the Fire TV 4K Stick.

I also have a Roku Premiere+, gaming consoles and my Sony 4K HDR TV is an Android TV, but rarely use those for streaming.

3. lparsons21

lparsons21 Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    My go to device is the AT&T TV Osprey, primarily because that is the streaming service I use and it works better with it.

My secondary device is a FireTV Cube.

4. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    I have an actual 5.1 speaker set up, with rear speakers mounted to the ceiling behind the seating area, and the other four speakers placed appropriately, with all of them calibrated. And I honestly don't know/notice/care when something is coming in with real Dolby Digital 5.1 audio versus stereo audio that my Yamaha receiver just turns into pseudo-5.1 audio via Dolby Pro-Logic II. I mean, I assume that real DD 5.1 is better, but eh, whatever. It all sounds good enough on my system. (I'm FAR more of a stickler on picture quality than I am audio quality.)

ncted likes this.
  5. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...

Advertisements

I use my T3 Bolt for Netflix and Prime and PLEX.
    Use my LG Smart TV for Hulu, Peacock and if I ever feel the need HBO+ and Disney+ or any others.

Hulu on the Bolt is problematic at best, can start watching something, but it always fails around the 3rd commercial break and refuses to play further.

6. wco81

wco81 Active Member

Dec 28, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    Another category, which I suspect isn't big here, would be watching shows directly on a phone or a tablet, not casting to a big screen but directly on the mobile device. Or even on a laptop.

But among people under 25, maybe under 30, this is a thing.

7. jaredmwright

jaredmwright Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Bay Area
    Nvidia Shield Pro and TiVo 4K Android, 4K FireTV are my go to options, each is actually pretty darn good with Nvidia being the best.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

8. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Where's the "I don't stream" or "None" option?

9. tim_m

tim_m Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Roku tv here.

10. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Another ATV 4K user here. I have Rokus for the rare Xfinity streaming and smart TV apps — so rarely used that I didn’t select them in the poll.

11. Aaron Malloy

Aaron Malloy Active Member

Oct 30, 2019
    My Sony Smart TV, which has the apps for Prime and AppleTV+. Those are the two I'm currently paying for.

12. wco81

wco81 Active Member

Dec 28, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    It would be interesting to see how many don't use any kind of streaming service in this day and age. Most households subscribe to 2 or 3.

I suspect though that it would be a small number who don't stream anything these days.

13. Aaron Malloy

Aaron Malloy Active Member

Oct 30, 2019
    I belong to a Twilight Zone Fan Facebook page. I asked a similar question about how people are watching the episodes. Surprisingly, most still watch it on OTA television (MeTV channel, etc). Tied for second was DVD/Blu-ray and Streaming.

So you may see some on here that are watching either OTA, cable or satellite, and still not streaming anything.

14. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Mostly I use my wired Roku for streaming services like Vudu, Amazon Prime, Paramount +, etc., with my TiVo Stream as a backup. For YouTube it is this Win 10 computer which is attached to my TV as I tend to play YouTube stuff while doing other things.

15. wco81

wco81 Active Member

Dec 28, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    But it's not a question of method only.

There's a lot of content only available on streaming. Some of the best shows and movies.

16. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    That would be in a poll done a decade ago.

17. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Looks like 22% at the moment:
    SVOD streaming service share in U.S. | Statista

18. ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    We mostly use 2019 NVIDIA Shield/Shield Pro. I have to use a Firestick 4K for watching with BT headphones that cause problems on the Shield and AppleTV 4K. All my Rokus are unplugged at this point after various compatibility issues with my Sony and Samsung TVs.

19. wco81

wco81 Active Member

Dec 28, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    So far leading in the polls are the lowest-priced devices, Roku and FireTV?

Tivo Stream 4K well back in the pack in a Tivo forum.

20. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    In the living room, I just use the apps on my Samsung TV. It has everything. Only exception is that if I want to watch HBO Max's 4K movie content, I use a Chromecast since the Samsung's app hasn't been updated (yet?) to do 4K.

In the bedroom, I have a Tivo Stream 4K attached to the TV which is pretty old and apps are pretty much a no-go on it.