Which channel guide do you use?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bradleys, Oct 27, 2017.

Which channel guide do you use?

1. Live Guide, and it will be hard to upgrade without it

48 vote(s)
    40.7%
  2. Live Guide, but I do not think it is a reason not to upgrade

12 vote(s)
    10.2%
  3. Grid Guide, it doesn’t impact me

54 vote(s)
    45.8%
  4. Neither, I only watch recorded TV

4 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Since the Live Guide will not be available on the Hydra GEN4 UI at release, I thought I would run a quick poll so gauge the impact

Balzer likes this.
  2. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    bradleys likes this.
  3. chrishicks

chrishicks Tivo Junkie

Dec 30, 2003
    MI
    Live Guide for me. I've been using it since the day I discovered it on my first Tivo way, way back.

Nickipedia likes this.
  4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I use the Live Guide and only watch recordings.

I like the Live guide because I can see what is scheduled many hours in advance on one channel. Which makes it much easier to set recordings.

While the Grid guide only shows around 1.5 hours or so. And shows a bunch of channels at once. Which seems inefficient to me unless i were watching live TV and switching between channels that are grouped together. Which pretty much defeats the purpose of a DVR.

That said, I will still be trying out Hydra on one Bolt to see how I like the new UI. I would miss the Live Guide but I would be switching for a new, modern, UI experience.
    And if I really like it I will definitely switch all my TiVos to Hydra.

tlc, Nickipedia and bradleys like this.
  5. thyname

thyname Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    Tivo Live Guide for me. Exclusively

tlc and Nickipedia like this.
  6. generaltso

generaltso Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    I guess I'm in the minority. I never use either guide.

bradleys likes this.
  7. davefred99

davefred99 Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Lassen...
    I have to admit I really did not know what I was using. After digging a little deeper I just realized I have been using the grid guide. I did switch it to the live guide and can see where it might be useful but honestly I think its not really important to me since mostly I have set up recordings for some of our favorite network shows and the rest of the time its mostly live local news or just background noise. We are OTA cord cutters so its not like we use TIVO for everything like a cable TIVO user would.

8. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Same here. If one is using their TiVo “correctly” and watching recordings, then the live guide is best. If you are watching a lot of live tv and surfing around for something to watch, it would seem that the grid guide is best.

bradleys likes this.
  9. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    I don't use either guide a lot, but when I do it's Live Guide.

I like being able to quickly see what's coming up over the next two weeks on movie channels, or the occasional free preview weekend.

Grid is woefully inadequate for that, and works best for casual channel surfing.

10. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I had to look because I forgot what it was called. I would not like not having the 'Live Guide'. :( I wish they would quit screwing with stuff that works and fix the stuff that doesn't. Frustrating.

Is it going to end up being compulsory to switch to this new software?

Anon1 likes this.
  11. Bryan Lyle

Bryan Lyle Tivo'n since 1999

Feb 6, 2002
    Middle of...
    Live guide... cancelled my order for the Vox remote for my Roamio.

Nickipedia likes this.
  12. Nickipedia

Nickipedia Nick of Time

Jul 18, 2015
    Michigan/D.C.
    Ironic they didn't include it in Hydra, since the LiVe Guide has been the out-of-box default for many years...

Mikeguy likes this.
  13. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Grid. Almost never use Live Guide. It shows me less of what I want to see and has no concept of time. I can see what is recording easier and when things happen.

NorthAlabama likes this.
  14. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    They didn't because a) it is no longer the default out of the box and b) they know how many people actually use each. Tivocommunity has a tilted view of the two guides from the general user.

15. Nickipedia

Nickipedia Nick of Time

Jul 18, 2015
    Michigan/D.C.
    I've bought 4 TiVos in the past month and all of them had the Live Guide defaulted out of the box.

16. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Hmm. I am pretty sure it wasn't for my Bolt last year. I stand corrected, I guess.

17. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Live Guide for me. My DirecTV only has grid style, and it's one of the few things I strongly dislike about DTV. Having used both for 10+ years, the Live Guide is simply better.

IMHO, of course.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  18. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Yes, I too use the live guide in combo with favorite channels, which are all movie channels, to periodically check for upcoming movies.

tlc likes this.
  19. wbrightfl

wbrightfl Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Orlando,...
    Grid guide only for me to easily and quickly browse what's on and coming up the next hour or so. Live guide doesn't work for my TV viewing use.

20. Anon1

Anon1 New Member

Sep 26, 2017
    Agreed completely. What exactly is Hydra adding to makeup for the loss? They seem to be having fun changing things to make the TiVo experience worse.

sharkster and Nickipedia like this.