Which box to upgrade to?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mfleming, Dec 31, 2006.

1. mfleming

mfleming New Member

Mar 26, 2004

Advertisements

I have an old Tivo -- the old 40 hour model from a few years ago. I'm on DTV. I was going to switch to the DTV HD DVR (yuck!) but I just found out that I was denied waivers for HD broadcast channels in my area -- even though I cannot pick them up over the air. And, many years ago, however, I was successful in getting waivers for regular ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS and Fox.

But that's besides the point now. I give up on the HD thing.

So, what I want to know is what is the next logical box for me now? I want to upgrade my old one. Is it the Series 2? Something else I'm not up on?

I really want to stay with Tivo, never really wanting that DTV DVR crappy interface.

Currently, I can record two channels at once. I want to make sure I can still do this?

Thanks for your help?

2. ForrestB

ForrestB New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    If you've got a series 2 DirecTivo - I'd say upgrade the hard drive to 250 GB and Zipper it Zipper

3. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    The only TiVo that works with OverTheAir and can record two channels at once is the Series 3. (It's not usable with satellite.)

The Series 2 DT is a Dual Tuner machine that can record off analog cable, two channels at the same time, or one analog channel and one cable box ( including digital) channel at the same time. (It can only work with satellite on the tuner that works with a cable/satellite box, so with satellite it can only do OTA on the other tuner.)

The DT is NOT for OverTheAir television.

The regular Series 2 only has one tuner. Two of them would get you two recordings at the same time. They'll work with cable, satellite, or OverTheAir.

4. mfleming

mfleming New Member

Mar 26, 2004
    No, I already have the old 30 hour box. I simply want to replace it with something better. But I do not care about HD or over the air. I jsut want to make sure I can continue recording two shows at once as I can do now.

5. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY

Advertisements

The latest dual tuner DirecTV DVR that is a TiVo is the R10. Finding one might be a problem.

6. mfleming

mfleming New Member

Mar 26, 2004
    Yes, I noticed that at Best Buy they only sold DTV DVRs, no Tivos. Is that the same way everywhere now? Anything DTV is there own DVR?

Any options?

7. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

And as I said, the only TiVos that can do two channels at once are the Series 3 (which doesn't work with satellite, but does work with OverTheAir, something you seemed to say you were interested in...local channels), and the Series 2 Dual Tuner, which can only work with a satellite box on ONE of its tuners, the other tuner being for analog cable only.

As a side point, you'd better get interested in HD/digital, since in a couple years that's all there'll be where your locals are concerned.

No more analog channels OTA.

8. Jan 1, 2007 #8 of 12
    mfleming

mfleming New Member

Mar 26, 2004
    I am very interested in HD programming. I simply cannot get it over the air where I live and I have been denied waivers.

I cannot get anything over the air, so I get the network stations via DTV via waivers (the 380's). But those waivers were given years ago. They won't give me them for the HD versions now. Most in my zip ocde can get over the air. I cannot due to my location.

So, my very old DTV Tivo does two sat channels at once. That's all I want in a new box.

9. Jan 1, 2007 #9 of 12
    ForrestB

ForrestB New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    Well if you're happy with SD (as I am with my HDTV) - check my message above.

10. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Just get another DirecTV Tivo then. If you want some HD, you can get the HR10-250.

If you cannot receive anything OTA digital, or cannot get HD waivers, there is no hardware cure.

11. mfleming

mfleming New Member

Mar 26, 2004
    Yes, that's what I want to do. Just originally started this thread to find out the best unit to buy now. And also, I now see I need to figure out where to buy it. I only see the DTV DVR's at the stores and I just looked at Tivo.com and the boxes for sale don't say anything about working with DTV. I don't know if they are just for cable or DTV also. I'll just call them tomorrow.

12. wscannell

wscannell Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Tivo.com only sells standalone units. If you want a directv Tivo, they are available on ebay and weaknees.com has some. You might also find them still at some stores, but they are definitely very hard to find.