Which 1TB Drive is Best for a TIVO HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by lostintvland, Sep 16, 2008.

1. lostintvland

lostintvland New Member

Oct 25, 2007

Advertisements

I want to expand my recoring capacity "a bit" and am planning to replace the standard drive with a 1tb drive to my Tivo HD. (I want to replace the drive now so I can expand the capacity again latter on if I want and not have to lose my recordings at that point)

I can not seem to settle on which drive to get. I am leaning towards the Hitachi DeskStar HDS721010KLA330. I was looking at the WD GP line but from what I can tell there are several different drives in that line that I may end up with and some of them may not work.
    Any advice?

2. tazzmission

tazzmission Active Member

Oct 15, 2002
    North...
    I am looking to upgrade my S3 to a 1TB HDD too.

I might just get the WD10EACS. Not sure that the rest of the model numbers really matter.

Or I might go with the Hitachi 7K1000.

Not sure which is better.

Maybe I will just get the one that is cheaper.

Anyone ever use a SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ in a S3 or TiVo HD?

3. ilh

ilh New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Did you not read the threads that talk about how the WD10EACS is generally incompatible with the S3?

4. tazzmission

Oct 15, 2002
    North...

Advertisements

Yes, and they were referring to the original version of that drive, no?

5. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Actually, the original version is the only one that works. ;)

If you have an S3 and want internal get the WD10EVCS. That's what I did.

6. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    Seeing as you rarely know the specific revision that you're going to get it's probaby a good idea to avoid the WD10EACS model altogether.

Me? See my sig. Upgraded (not by choice) last week.

7. tazzmission

Oct 15, 2002
    North...
    I'll get the Hitachi as I know that one works in the S3 for sure.

8. GregComeLately

GregComeLately Member

Nov 27, 2006
    western...
  9. tazzmission

Oct 15, 2002
    North...
    Bought the Hitachi already from Newegg for $159. Gonna upgrade tonight.

10. jm1fd

jm1fd New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    I installed that drive in my TiVo HD last night. Working great so far. I used the Samsung drive tool to change it to "quiet" mode but I can still hear a few seeks every now and then....usually when doing 30 second skip or fast forwarding.

11. GregComeLately

GregComeLately Member

Nov 27, 2006
    western...
    I haven't used the Samsung drive tool (I assume you can only use it before you install into the Tivo?), but my drive became pretty loud once it was installed.

When I was doing the initial side-by-side transfer with the original drive, the new Samsung was quieter than the original Seagate drive just when they were sitting there powered up, doing nothing other than spinning. But once my Tivo S3 was back up and running again, wow, is this drive loud. :eek: Louder than what the Seagate 250GB drive was inside the Tivo before.

I can hear a constant interval ticking noise, like a clock ticking, but ranging between a quarter to three-quarter second intervals, repeatedly speeding up then slowing back down again within this half second range. I assume this is the perpetual writing that is taking place, recording 30 minutes at a time to both tuners.

Otherwise, the Samsung EcoGreen drive has performed flawlessly since installation two weeks ago. Not sure if I should be concerned about the noise or not. The noise makes me thing it's laboring under some sort of duress. Btw jm1fd, the sound doesn't really seem to change during 30 second skips or fast forwarding.

12. steinercat

steinercat New Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I used the ES- Tool after I had run WinMFS and installed the drive into the THD.

I got 1 gray screen after that, but all OK now.

Its much quieter now, after setting on 'Quiet'

13. jm1fd

jm1fd New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    I'm thinking you'll be OK if you use the tool to go in and change the acoustic management....all it should do is change a variable in the drive firmware to tell it to be quiet.

When I changed the setting it didn't pop up with any YOU WILL LOSE YOUR DATA warnings or anything like that. On the other hand, the software did warn before I did the low level format.

14. nigebj

nigebj New Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Interested in others experience with these Samsung Spinpoints. Documented elsewhere are the gray screen issues, however my concern right now is that whenever I have a transfer and recording going, I will get some audio stutters and minor picture freezing. Add the second tuner recording, and this gets a more consistent and persistent problem.

If I rewind a little, the issue is not in the recording, it's the playback. So I have to assume that the drive is not managing to cope with the recording streams being busy and playback at the same time.

Due to this, and the gray screen issue, I am leaning towards getting a Cinemastar 7K1000.B - just as soon as I can find a 1TB version available - as that drive claims to be able to handle 10 media streams at any given time, something TiVo will never manage to through at it.

Anyone else seeing this with the Spinpoint? Must admit I'm also wondering whether there are manufacturing inconsistencies with these drives - hence the range of experience which people seem to be having (from regular gray screens, through once-off/infrequent, and now my apparent 'stream overload' issue).

15. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Per moderator request, all drive upgrade discussion in this section belongs in the Drive Expansion and Drive Upgrade FAQ thread. TCF has a separate forum for individual upgrade threads.

Before purchasing any drive, you should read the section of the FAQ devoted to internal drive upgrades. Among other things, the FAQ explains why it is not possible to use more than 1.26TB of an internal drive. It would probably be a waste to spend the money for a 2TB drive when you can only use 1.26TB with available tools.