Where's the Beef (I mean APP)?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by larryhitz, Oct 18, 2019.

1. larryhitz

larryhitz New Member

Sep 29, 2016
    Announced LONG ago... A tivo channel app for Roku. Still MIA it seems.
    Apple TV app on my Roku left the missing Tivo app in the dust.

2. EWiser

EWiser Active Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Yes we are all waiting.

3. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    A Tivo app on any set top box would negatively impact sales of the mini.

4. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    I'm sure we can all think of reasons they might not want to do it, but the fact is that they said they were going to do it. If those plans have changed, they should tell us.

Personally, I was planning to write an app for Apple TVs to browse / play back from TiVos when they made the announcement, so I put it aside. Coulda been done by now. :p

OrangeCrush, mrsean and shwru980r like this.
  5. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    Plus with the reports of reduced video quality from Comcast and OTA the value of the mini is diminished since transcoding the video for the streaming apps may not impact the video quality as much. At that point the set top box for the Tivo streaming app is cheaper than a mini, has superior apps to the mini and can stream over WiFi, while the Mini is not officially supported for WiFi.

Are they not telling us because it would be game over, since I assume the profit margin on a Mini is significant?

6. mrsean

mrsean Active Member

May 15, 2006
    New Jersey
    There's no way that they would have even started working on third-party apps if the Mini profits were a concern.

OrangeCrush likes this.
  7. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    From at least one post here, there's a recognition of the possible effect. But presumably, there's also a recognition of the possible benefit.

Compared to earlier years, it appears that TiVo has come to recognize that it can't simply dictate whatever it wants, if it wants to be more successful.

8. EWiser

EWiser Active Member

Oct 2, 2008
    The ground is shifting away from cable and OTA. Which was TIVO’s area in the past. If they want to be still in the recording game they need to intergrate
    Their DVR into the streaming service future. The app’s will let them into the game. As people may want to use their service instead of the network app’s.
    It’s about TiVo’s future otherwise the DVR is dead.

9. gary.buhrmaster

gary.buhrmaster Active Member

Nov 5, 2015
    While I would suspect that it is just taking longer than they first envisioned and has not been cancelled (If I had to guess, the hard part is achieving the required protected path certifications/validations on all the platforms), realistically very few companies have marketing go out and tell people they will *not* be making a product. Good news only. Bad news is offered only if offering it is required by regulation, or to prepare for the worse yet to come ("the cat went up to the roof......"). And, as "It is tough to make predictions, especially about the future", I tend to not take seriously any press release that does not have an "available for purchase now" tag line.

10. fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Have there been any reports of it being beta tested? Usually that gives us some indication that it's on its way.

11. EWiser

EWiser Active Member

Oct 2, 2008
    No this is asked every day on the forum nothing further has ever been said other the CES demo of the app’s

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  12. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    I think Tivo may want to release the wifi adapter for the mini before releasing a streaming app so that customers who want to access Tivo recordings from a room without Coax or Ethernet could use a mini instead of switching to an alternate streaming device and abandoning the mini.