Where's the 2TB DIY upgrade?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by TivoRocks193, Aug 31, 2011.

1. TivoRocks193

TivoRocks193 Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Why is it Tivo Premiere with 2TB single-upgrade is available all over the web, DVRUpgrade, Weaknees, and a dozen eBay sellers, but no DIY instructions or guides are posted in this forum?

Why is it over a year after Premiere came out, not one DIY option for it exists? Previous models have had tons of ways to upgrade the harddrive, discussions of different brands, and plenty of hardware and software tools. Why is this model different from all others?

Yes, I've read the FAQ, but now that there are dozens of people selling pre-made 2TB drives online and the unit has been out for so long, I figured at least one person should post instructions on how to do it.

2. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Gee. Guess you did not check in the Upgrade Center forum! :rolleyes:

3. TivoRocks193

TivoRocks193 Member

Aug 10, 2005
    According to the Premiere FAQ there is no DIY option publicly available. Are you saying the FAQ in this forum is wrong?

4. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Last edited by bkdtv : 05-06-2010 at 01:00 PM.

5. TivoRocks193

TivoRocks193 Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Wow, I thought this forum was more active and the moderators were on top of these kinds of things.

Actually in that case, why don't we start upgrading the FAQ to include list of compatible, known to work, 2TB drives?

6. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    It seems that in your extensive research you may have missed a couple of threads, like this one and this one and especially this one.

7. TivoRocks193

TivoRocks193 Member

Aug 10, 2005
    You realize the first link you posted wasn't for Premiere, right? I don't know about you but I don't have the time to read through 46 pages of forum posts as in the second thread. The last thread is on topic, but doesn't have a list of compatible drives like we did for Series3.

Anyway, we have a FAQ/sticky on the Premiere page, why don't we use it? I just remember this forum being more organized and easy to use when it came to upgrades in the past.

8. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Look. You asked. We told you where it was.

Now go upgrade your Tivo!

9. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    You can read about my 2TB upgrade it has the link you need in it: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=467332

Good Luck,

10. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    I don't usually comment on posts like yours, but get real. I'm sorry you feel like someone should spoon-feed you with everything you want where you want it, but the information is a simple Google search (and pretty damn obvious in the upgrade forum on this site).

DIY modifications are an open secret, but discussion about them isn't appropriate for the main forum. People (one in particular) have done a tremendous amount of work to share their work/experiences with the general community, but don't come here and act like others "owe" it to you.

An FAQ is always nice, but they are all volunteer efforts and can take a lot of time. Some lose interest and some no longer have the time to keep it up to date.

If you ask nicely here, you will almost always find someone to help. Act like you are entitled to it and those that would normally want to help may just go silent and I don't blame them.

I'd rethink your attitude.

(You may want to consider a Western Digital Drive, either one specifically designed for AV or one that's just as good, like a bare WD20EARS. Then use the jfms tool and strongly consider a donation to the author as thanks and/or your apology to the community for being a tool yourself. :thumbsdown:)

11. TivoRocks193

TivoRocks193 Member

Aug 10, 2005
    The fact that no one maintains the Premiere FAQ is a sure sign this forum isn't what it used to be. Being directed to review threads with over 4 dozen pages is not a good solution. I understand its all volunteer, but in the past these pages were maintained and had a strong emphasis on DIY and technical know how. It's a shame really that the moderators have let it degrade to this point. I guess there's a lot more spoiled brats who just buy the drives on eBay than skilled hardware gurus who enjoy taking things apart and posting the solutions for everyone to see.

12. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    Ok where your solution then?

13. TivoRocks193

TivoRocks193 Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Give me write permissions to the FAQ thread and I'll give it a go.

14. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Well, times have changed. TiVos ship with larger hard drives. TiVo offers external drives that do not require you to open up your TiVo. The landscape for TiVos has changed and there isn't as big a need for this information as in years past with older TiVos. It has nothing to do with how the forum is run or the community. Coming into a forum and insulting the members is a sure way to not get much help.

15. TivoRocks193

TivoRocks193 Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Excuse me but I was insulted first by other forum members who felt the need to troll in. This issue has everything to do with how the community is run. There's just a lack of well organized public information these days.

16. aridon

aridon Member

Aug 31, 2006
    You struck a sour note and act surprised you got a response like that? It was far nicer than you deserved.

Personally I had no issue finding the information because I know how to use google and the forum search. Add to that I don't expect everything to be hand fed to me and can take an hour to read up on processes and options without coming here to whine.

Tivo isn't the company it once was and they certainly don't have a good track record with updates on their units. They have run off a lot of good people.

17. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    I'm with you on this issue TR

Yet it appears the masses would rather point out the obvious rather then assist you with your quest to upgrade the drive...

My 5 month old Premiere drive is going bad so WTF I wanna replace it with a 2 TB but won't for now..

Hang tough an someone with some cents will assist you...:up:

18. DeWitt

DeWitt Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Saratoga...
    Although posted above here is the Premiere upgrade process link you need.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=8143047#post8143047

I have done this recently to both my Premiere and Premiere XL. I just ordered a WD drive from Amazon and followed the directions. So easy it is scary.

I used USB/SATA adapters. I know they are not the fastest, but I just let it run overnight and was back up the next morning on 2TB.

19. MrJedi

MrJedi Member

Apr 13, 2011
    I have to agree with the OP that the upgrade info on this site is hard to find and not easy to follow. I used a method that I found via Google. Granted it was the first link when I did my search. So while I couldn't find the info here, I easily found it elsewhere. That said, I don't agree with this being posted here at all. If there is an issue with missing or hard to find information in a particular forum it should be posted there.

20. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    The problem here is that the information in question is neither missing nor hard to find.