1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to report TiVo software bugs?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by GaryD9, May 14, 2018.

1. GaryD9

GaryD9 Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Pittsburgh,...
    I'm trying to find the proper place to report a suspected bug in the TiVo software (21.x.) Can anyone point me to the proper place? In case this forum is already the proper place, I'll list it here:

Summary: "thumbs" buttons on the remote don't seem to be working as expected.

h/w: TiVo BOLT VOX 3TB
    s/w: 21.8.1 RC6

Detail/Steps: When viewing information about a show, for example in the detail for a specific show/episode, in "My Shows", in the list of suggestions, etc, pressing either of the "thumb" buttons on the remote has no effect. This includes while a show is selected/highlighted in a list, and when the detail of a show is displayed (such as immediately before selecting "play.") As far as I've been able to determine, the only time the "thumb" buttons are working is when actually playing a show. (Which might not be desirable if the content is inappropriate for people in the room at the time, and also requires several additional steps to start playing, press the thumb buttons, stop playing, etc.)

Edit: There are some places where the "thumb" buttons do respond as expected: The guide, and when viewing shows in a format that has images (instead of text.) I'm not sure the proper term for that.

Expected Behavior: The "thumb" buttons should work any time the current screen content details a show or the selection in a list isolates a single show. This includes the current selection in a list and when viewing detail for a show. (This would be consistent with previous software versions.)

Additional Comment: One of the pillars of TiVo (when compared to other DVR's) is the suggestions system. The suggestions are made based on "thumb" ratings. In my own opinion, this makes the "thumb" functionality a major part of the DVR, and therefore makes this a significant (not critical) issue.

Additional Steps to Repeat (xposted from another thread)

From live TV, tap the TiVo button, and navigate down and right to your list of suggestions (or TV Series, etc.) The idea is so that a textual list of shows is being shown in a vertical list. (Not a horizontal "list" of pictures representing the shows.) From this list, you'll likely be seeing groups of specific shows. From this list, highlight a given show and press either thumb button. Nothing happens. (Thumb buttons don't work here.) Then press select. You should now be seeing a list of episodes of the previously selected show. Press a thumb button. Nothing happens. (Thumb buttons don't work here either.) Now press select on any one episode. You should now be seeing the detail for that specific episode (including the description of the episode.) Press a thumb button. Thumb buttons STILL don't work here either!

This "thumb" issue extends to the suggestions list where it's really annoying. While viewing the list of suggestions, it's impossible to tell TiVo that you don't like one of it's suggestions using the thumb down button unless you first actually start playing the undesirable show! In a 24 hour period, my new TiVo BOLT+VOX recorded over 150 suggestions, and MOST were undesirable. (This is normal with a new TiVo until the thumbs are set up.) With TE3, I could just scroll through the list of suggestions pressing thumbs down on the undesirable stuff. With TE4, due to the bug I'm referring to (and I hope to God it is a bug and not by design), I have to actually start playing each one of the suggestions in order to give it a thumb down.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  3. GaryD9

GaryD9 Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Pittsburgh,...
    I submitted to that link, but it appears to go to the normal "support" channels.

I don't expect much help from the normal support channels. Perhaps, if we are lucky, someone from TiVo (@TiVo_Ted?) who reads this forum can forward the bug report to someone who can actually handle it. It appears that he has posted acknowledgements and resolutions to previous bugs in 20.x and 21.x

4. GaryD9

GaryD9 Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Pittsburgh,...
    More info: It appears that the thumb buttons do work in the program guide. For some reason, last night was the first time I tried it there. (I don't use the guide much, but with the television season ending I was looking for something to watch.)

5. GaryD9

GaryD9 Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Pittsburgh,...
    It took THREE DAYS for someone at tivo to respond to the "contact us" message I sent. The response makes almost no sense whatsoever considering what I detailed in the issue report. It's as if someone picked out keywords from my message and sent back an automated form-letter. (I've already restarted the TiVo a couple of times since sending the "contact us" inquiry, but it didn't magically make the software bug go away.)

Their form letter also says to "Doublecheck and make sure the TiVo suggestions is still turn off and delete any unwanted WishList Searches"

Huh? TiVo suggestions are turned ON, not OFF. What good would thumbs be if they were turned off? As well, I don't have any wishlist searches at all - though if the presence of a wishlist search prevents the "thumb" buttons from working, that would indicate a pretty serious bug, wouldn't it?

If this is TiVo's "award winning customer support" (as referenced by @TiVo_Ted elsewhere), all us TiVo owners are in trouble...

I don't even know how to follow up with this. Repeated attempts to get someone from TiVo to actually read this issue and address it (or even to tell me to screw off) have failed.

Here's the entire response (the referenced attachments are "how to force a connection to the tivo service", "how to restart or power cycle the DVR" and "how to use tivo suggestions"):

6. GaryD9

GaryD9 Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Pittsburgh,...
    Updated OP to include more information.

7. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Ted made it clear in a later message that he was being ironic when he wrote that. He wishes he had added a smiley.

8. GaryD9

GaryD9 Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Pittsburgh,...
    I know, but I needed an excuse to reference him in hopes that he'd read the issue.

BTW, I got another response from Tivo's "award winning support" (+= ;) ) this evening. This one is as completely useless as the last. I'm now convinced that they aren't trained in reading English, or at least not interested in reading what a customer is writing about.

@TiVo_Ted , in all seriousness, if you read this - please get someone (who is fluent in English) to better train these folks. If I was a "new" tivo customer, this "support" would chase me far away from TiVo, never to return. (I'm not exaggerating.)

Here's the newest response:

This time, the attachments were... EXACTLY THE SAME as the last time! How to force a connection, how to reboot the box, and how to use suggestions. Obviously, no one is reading that my "thumb" buttons don't work, that I've rebooted many times already, etc.

9. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I believe the official place is the tivo forums *on their site*.

I truly wish they (and all companies) had true serious "bug reporting systems" that would _eventually_ get to technical people. Yes, I'd give FREE info to help get the product I paid for work better (e.g. to make streaming/downloading work AT ALL reliably, which it doesn't for me).

CloudAtlas likes this.
  10. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    TiVo's support forums have not seen a person from TiVo since back in April. Early April. IBM, who works on the software, did fix a bug in the HTML display.

11. aliweb1

aliweb1 New Member

Jun 22, 2006
    FL

12. aliweb1

aliweb1 New Member

Jun 22, 2006
    FL
    I have been using a Vox with Hydra since January. The latest update has another bug. When you click on My Shows, more often than not, the horizontal menu does not appear so I cannot access my other networked Bolt because DEVICES is not there in the missing menu. In desperation at this inconsistent bug, I finally called tech support. After the tech consulted with higher level support, I was told to press the down arrow every time the menu is missing. Voila, that works. They know it’s an annoying bug. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Mikeguy likes this.
  13. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The best way to report bugs is to join a beta. When you're in a beta you have a direct line to TiVo's development team and it's a lot easier to report bugs. Outside of a beta there is no clear way to report a bug, and even if you send one to support they rarely communicate well enough to allow you to feel like the bug has been reported to the proper people.

tim1724 likes this.
  14. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    And isn't that so frustrating and a shame, that the communication system doesn't seem to be there at the level that it should, for the improvement of the system--it's a loss of a great benefit of crowd-sourcing, and people stop reporting issues for TiVo to investigate and fix/support. People are so grateful when @TiVo_Ted and, earlier, TiVo Margret simply acknowledge the reporting of an issue, saying that it will be looked into.