1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to get roamio basic or OTA cooling fan replacement

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by rjrsouthwest, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Mar 14, 2016 #1 of 129
    rjrsouthwest

rjrsouthwest Active Member

Feb 19, 2016
    I need to replace the cooling fan in my Roamio basic DVR and from what I understand it is the same fan that is used in the Roamio OTA model also.

Has any one found a good source and what model # and where did you buy it from?

Update: :)
    Found the replacement fan needed and have explained where I got them and a idea as to make the fan replacement much faster if needed again in the 7th post in this thread.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  2. Mar 14, 2016 #2 of 129
    mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Measure the dimensions of the fan in millimeters and then google it. There are lots of sources for fans on the internet. I don't have a Roamio sitting in front of me so I don't recall what kind of connector the fan uses, but it's probably a standard 3-pin header connector.

3. Mar 14, 2016 #3 of 129
    foghorn2

foghorn2 Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Im cutting a square into to top of one of my Basics, and integrating a mesh and "HUGE" (as trump would say) but thin (as it probably is, its the diameter that counts :p ) PC low rpm case fan right above the HDD, or maybe the heat sink on the MB.

The woot $29.99 refurb OTA's are perfect specimens for such experiments.

4. Mar 14, 2016 #4 of 129
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    This fan, while 120mm, is almost silent. It fits on top of a Mini also: Antec TrueQuiet 120 120mm Case Fan For PC Computers ! ((35.8 CFM) (19.9 dBA)

Ebay has them. Also: Noctua NF-S12A FLX Ultra Quiet 120mm Flexible PC Computer Cooling Case Fan.

5. Mar 14, 2016 #5 of 129
    Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Interesting conversation here:
    I might try nesting a fan in the cable card bay of my basic.

Though not particularly useful; this might be worth a watch just for the purpose of opening the TiVo and seeing what's inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fk4cN3EXoY

6. Mar 14, 2016 #6 of 129
    foghorn2

foghorn2 Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Thats a lousy video, when he figures he cant get to the fan's bottom screws he ends up spraying it. The noise will certainly come back.

The fan/chassis design is very stupid, to remove the fan, you must remove the cc bracket, remove the MB screws, remove the o-ring of the f-connector, push the plastic tabs securing the MB to the bottom of the chassis, and pull out the MB to get to those screws. I think Ford designed the Basics/OTA

You are better off disconnecting that fan and use a bigger slower one somewhere else.

7. Mar 29, 2016 #7 of 129
    rjrsouthwest

Feb 19, 2016
    I found the replacement fan I needed on eBay and changed it out yesterday and it is much quieter than the original fan ever was. Ordered the fan as a 2 pack for $5.69 including shipping and it arrived from Hong Kong in 14 days from when I ordered it.

I took the Roamio apart including removing the cable card carrier and mother board to get at the two fan bottom screws. When I put it back together I just used screws in the top two holes. It is rock solid and if I ever need to replace this one with the spare one that came with it I could switch out the fans in about 5 minutes without taking it all apart again.

This is the link to the fans I bought and they are an exact match to the original tivo fan.

http://r.ebay.com/6nxECX

8. Apr 2, 2016 #8 of 129
    edstir

edstir New Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Thanks just ordered fans. Have 2 OTA'S newer one has noise. Found utube post about fan noise by accident and decided to look on forum. All falling in place. I assume voltage is 12 volt on OTA to match? Didn't check. Was that your take 12V?

9. Apr 7, 2016 #9 of 129
    leiff

leiff Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Or do like what I've been doing with my Romeo basic-
    running TiVo with lid off and fan disabled :)
    Temps are about the same were I to have kept the lid on and fan on

10. Apr 8, 2016 #10 of 129
    rjrsouthwest

Feb 19, 2016
    :up:

Yes 12v and the fans I bought on eBay have the same specs as the original fan that the Tivo came with and worked and fit perfectly. The only difference beween the OTA and the base roamio is no cable card carrier on the OTA. :)

11. Apr 11, 2016 #11 of 129
    foghorn2

foghorn2 Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
  12. Jul 30, 2016 #12 of 129
    wanderAround

wanderAround New Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Hi, thanks for the helpful post on replacing the fan on your roamio. I need to do the same thing.
    The ebay link to the fan doesn't work any more.
    Do you still have the specs that you can send me, so that I can search for the fan on ebay?

Cheers,
    Ben

13. Aug 3, 2016 #13 of 129
    leenga

leenga New Member

Sep 21, 2007
    I took mine apart due to fan issues. I can't get the cablecard bracket to go back into the cablecard connector. I bent some of the pins trying. I was able to straighten them but I still can't get it back together and now I'm afraid of breaking it. Any help?

14. Aug 5, 2016 #14 of 129
    cmaquilino16

cmaquilino16 Member

Jul 7, 2009
    United States
    I got a noisy fan in my roamio pro thanks TiVo for saving a few dollars to install a noisy cheap ass fan. Well is it possible to oil the fan like the computer fan by taking the sticker off and the plug to oil the fan. Does anybody who replaced there fan could check to see if there is a plug to oil fan. Thanks a bunch, also is it possible to drill out the bottom screws.

Thanks

15. Oct 2, 2016 #15 of 129
    TimeShifter2009

TimeShifter2009 New Member

Jun 27, 2009
    Can someone please answer the original request for the fan dimensions speed and airflow and possibly current draw? Posting links that go dead aren't much help. I just ordered a new OTA Remeo and reading up on the failing fan has of course disapounted me. I'm very technical and have no issues with replacing the fan except for the outrageous cost I'm finding for this fan. I'd like to have a replacement on hand, or 2, ready for when I may need it. I'm assuming in the first year TiVo will replace it but I'm sure it will need to be returned for service, ugh. Maybe I want the extended warranty now? That or just go with the year and swap the fan when needed, and I guess void the warranty? Is the case sealed to verify its been opened or not?
    Matching connectors isn't an issue, easy to swap if the fan satisfies the airflow, noise and size. I've serviced my series 3 over the years and hope to do the same here especially if the "New Tivo" company drops the hardware mfg.
    So, anyone have specs they can post or valid October 2016 links to fans they're using.
    Thanks everyone for your help

16. Oct 2, 2016 #16 of 129
    TimeShifter2009

TimeShifter2009 New Member

Jun 27, 2009
    As an added question, why replace the bottom 2 fan screws when replacing the fan? There's no real speed or air pressure involved that the two top screws when tightened, can't secure I'm thinking. This would make future fan replacements real fast and easy. When my fan replacement time comes I'll give it a try.

17. Oct 4, 2016 #17 of 129
    jerryez

jerryez Active Member

May 16, 2001
    Pensacola,FL...
    You buy small fan at Walmart for $6.00 and set it up to blow on the TiVo. I did this and set up two fans cooling two cabinets with av components. Or you can buy a usb laptop fan and put under the TiVo to blow air up thru the unit.

18. Oct 5, 2016 #18 of 129
    Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    A solution for those not tech savvy that take about one minute to perform and does, indeed, work: get a laptop cooling fan, put it under the TiVo and connect it to one of the TiVo's USB port for powering the fan. Works GREAT! I could replace the fan, but the laptop fan is FASTER, less mess, and no recordings missed, and no wasted time in research to get it right. I have laptop fans cooling a Dish Hopper with Sling and a Roamio unit. Shockinglt too fast and easy to do with excellent results. Both HWS and Roamio fans no longer spin so high that I can hear them and both are at cooler temps than is most common.

19. Oct 5, 2016 #19 of 129
    phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    I broke down and ordered the fan from Weaknees for my Basic, ya $40 bucks for a wee little fan.

I asked if the fan were available by itself, without the 3 screwdrivers they send with it, but didn't get a response.
    I had 2 of them from previous TiVo drive replacements, but was missing the 3rd, so I guess I'm glad I now have it.

Might try again if/when either of my OTA's need a fan replacement, hopefully there will be more options available.

phox

20. Oct 27, 2016 #20 of 129
    mom2jel

mom2jel New Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Minnesota
    35mm x 10mm
    2 pin
    12 volt

I'm buying the Evercool one from Amazon: www.amazon.com/Evercool-Everlube-Bearing-Connector-EC3510H12E/dp/B00LRTQBLA/ for $8.99

3/2018 UPDATE:
    I updated two of our Roamios, they are still running cool and quiet. Cost has gone up to $12.89 tho.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    gespears likes this.