Where to get new directv with tivo reciever?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by IsuGuy, Nov 8, 2007.

1. IsuGuy

IsuGuy Member

Oct 24, 2003

Advertisements

My parents directv tivo is acting up. We have narrowed it down to the secondary tuner totally dropping the signal and then working again. This is causing them much frustration and I want to get them a new one for christmas. I know they are not available anymore so I am wondering where to go about finding one. I saw several of them on ebay but will i run into problems trying to activate a used unit on thier account? Does anyone have one they want to get rid of? Its just the standard def directivo. I wouldnt even need a hard drive or remote just a working unit. They have a 120gb hd in the current one that I will swap over.

So any advice?

2. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Ebay is about your only option. Just make sure to get the RID number of any DTivo that you are considering purchasing. That way you can call DTV directly and find out if there is a balance due on that receiver (if there is, DTV will not activate it without that balance being paid). If the seller refuses to give you the Rid #, don't bid on that unit.

There are some early DTivo's that don't have rid numbers. Those should be fine to activate no matter what. There is a list around here somewhere of which models are Rid and which are not.

3. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    Buying one from eBay is fine as long as you get the serial number off the unit first and verify with Directv that the unit has no past due balances.

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
  5. hank12345

hank12345 Member

Sep 27, 2005

Advertisements

Hi-

I have both a SD and HD DirecTiVo sitting around since I got my TiVoHD and switched back to cable...

I've been meaning to setup an ebay account, but haven't wanted to go through the hassle, as I may be the only human on the planet who has never bought or sold anything from ebay... :)

They are both in excellent condition-- I have the remotes, but none of the included cables... I think I still even have the original box for the SD.....

make me a fair offer on one or both, and it/they is/are yours....

Hank

6. TivoJD

TivoJD Active Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Polk Co,...
    If you are going to swap out and use their current hard drive, you should get a receiver that has the same first 3 digits of the service number as the one they have. For example, if its a Samsung SIR-S4040R - the service number starts with 381. This coincides with the last 3 digits of the software version on the hard drive (6.2a-01-2-381).

7. gbdude

gbdude New Member

Sep 30, 2007
    IsuGuy - There's nothing wrong with the hardware. It's a problem with the software. There are a lot of receivers out there that have suddenly experienced problems with the newest release of the software. Please check out the other threads discussing issues with version 6.3

8. MPAC

MPAC New Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Believe it or not, the Circuit City in my town still has 2 new HDVR2 for sale on their shelves. If someone wants wants one, I could check the price, buy the unit, and sell it to you for a modest fee. I would of course need proof of activation so I was not charged for not activating the unit. :)

9. gamo62

gamo62 Member

Oct 12, 2002
    I just sold a "modified" SD-DVR120 w/ 6.2 on eBay with an upgraded 250gb HD for $175. TivoWebPlus 2.1, TivoHackman 5.6. Works like a charm.
    I went with the TivoHD and put a 500gb drive in that one. I miss not being able to use TivoWebPlus and TivoHackman on the new one. The guy that won it got a great deal, considering the price that Weakness charges.