Where to buy a tuning adapter for Tivo Bolt and COX

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by costgeek, Dec 22, 2017.

1. costgeek

costgeek Member

Nov 22, 2017
    Anybody know a good brick and mortar place to buy a tuning adapter that will work with COX Cable and a Tivo Bolt? I ordered one online but it fell through and my Tivo installation has come to a screeching halt...

Online suggestions would also be useful in case brick and Mortar won't work.

If it helps, I live in the DC area...Northern Virginia.

2. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Any reason why you are not getting the TA from Cox?

3. costgeek

costgeek Member

Nov 22, 2017
    You know...I asked the Cox installer if I could use the receiver as the tuning adapter in my Tivo setup and said he didn't know. So the Cox Receiver is the tuning adapter...right? If so, I got a lot of bad info and was under the impression that I had to buy an adapter on my own...

4. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    All tuning adapters are supplied by cable companies at no charge. You don't buy them.

The Cox receiver (cable box?) is not a tuning adapter. They should give you one when you get your cable card. It will have 2 coax connections and one USB connection. Cable boxes don't have USB, so you'll be able to tell the difference from that.

costgeek likes this.
  5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    No, a tuning adapter is a tuning adapter, a totally different device from any of the set-top box receivers you may have used in the past. The TA has no video output.

And Cox should be providing you with the tuning adapter (kit) along with the CableCARD, assuming your location does SDV (Switched Digital Video) and so would require a tuning adapter.

See:
    https://support.tivo.com/articles/F...l-a-Tuning-Adapter-for-Switched-Digital-Video
    Cox Self-Installation Kits and User Guides

6. costgeek

costgeek Member

Nov 22, 2017
    Yeah thanks. I placed the order over a month ago, and couldn't quite remember what exactly it was I was supposed to get. The work order that the installer showed up with was nothing like what I asked for. As a result he brought multiple set-top boxes that I did not need, a CableCARD which I did need, but without a tuning adapter.

At this point I think I'm just one tuning adapter away from being able to set this up. I just hope they have them in stock at the Cox store.

7. costgeek

costgeek Member

Nov 22, 2017
    I swear I get different information every time I call Cox. One representative actually told me that I could not DVR shows with a TiVo.

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    You can still set things up absent the tuning adapter; you'll just be lacking access to SDV channels until you get the TA installed and operational.

costgeek likes this.
  9. aristoBrat

aristoBrat Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Va Beach, VA
    The Cox Solution Stores in my area of VA have cable cards and tuning adapters in stock. Hopefully the same is true where you live!

10. costgeek

costgeek Member

Nov 22, 2017
    The installer didn't bring one and when I told him I still needed one, he neglected to tell me Cox would supply one for free. Given that I purchased a Cable Card, you'd think bringing a TA would be automatic...

11. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Well,if your order had no premium channels, it is possible you don't need a tuning adaptor. Some cable systems go by packages or tiers or just premiums. Sometimes just particular channels require a tuning adaptor

12. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I would think that Cox in the densely populated DC area would know you needed a TA. BTW you didn't purchase a CableCARD -- they are only rented and there is a big charge if you don't return the card when you terminate service. Same for a TA although the rental fee is usually zero for those. When you do return these items be sure to get a receipt as there have been numerous cases of people being charged for them even after they were returned.

krkaufman likes this.
  13. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

cox in Omaha at least had some non premium channels like Disney and tuner classic movies on sdv so it's not always all premium on sdv

14. cordevil95

cordevil95 New Member

Feb 22, 2007
    You can just go to a Cox store to pick up a tuning adapter. At least that's what I did on 2 separate occasions.

15. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

did the house/apartment have cable before or was it a new install?