Where on my router do I plug in ethernet?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by bailey12, Oct 19, 2019.

1. bailey12

bailey12 New Member

Aug 22, 2015

Advertisements

Hi there. This is my third Tivo and I've always been able to set them up myself easily. Until now. I'm trying to set up my new Bolt. You can tell by my question that I'm not a very technical person at all :) It didn't work wirelessly (NO2 error), even though my smart tv does and my tivo premiere did for 11 years.
    I'm going to try ethernet instead. My router has a few openings. Which one do I plug my ethernet into?
    Thanks

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Would there be a possibility that you might provide the Model Number of this 'router' you've got?

Or, maybe a picture of it and it's label?

-KP

3. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    But, you plug it into the one of the (usually) 4 ports on the back...

-KP

4. bailey12

bailey12 New Member

Aug 22, 2015
    I can get the model number and a picture tomorrow. I have to go outside and downstairs to get to it. Are you saying any of the 4 ports? Are they all for the same thing? Thanks for answering without all the details. I am going crazy without tivo!

5. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005

Advertisements

Typically and absent one of the ports being labelled something different, yes.

kpeters59 likes this.
  6. bailey12

bailey12 New Member

Aug 22, 2015
    Thank you. I'll try that. Would using ethernet instead of wireless mean I would get a stronger signal? Wireless was usually only around 40% on old tivo. Maybe that was the problem?

kpeters59 likes this.
  7. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    You were unable to complete Guided Setup due to the N02 Error?

You probably ought to reboot that Router and try again.

-KP

8. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    And Modem, if they're 'separates'.

-KP

9. bailey12

bailey12 New Member

Aug 22, 2015
    Yes, unable to do guided setup. I will reboot.

kpeters59 likes this.
  10. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    You will have as good a signal as your internet provides. There will be no signal strength as you will be getting as much as your modem/router/gateway can muster. Good luck.

11. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Wired definitely can be preferable over wireless, especially if both options are equally available to you, and can produce a stronger and faster connection, depending on your setup. Wireless can present extra issues over wired, including because at least some of the wireless adapters that TiVo has used in its boxes seem not to perform as well as one might like. E.g. I was having issues every now-and-again with my Roamio box, in maintaining its wireless connection and speed--when I connected that TiVo box by ethernet to a wireless bridge and then that wireless bridge via wireless to my router, much of those issues went away. Having said that, my Bolt box connects to the router via wireless with little issue.

12. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Did you choose wireless connection during set up? Did you input your password?

As to Ethernet, it's simple. Just plug the Ethernet cord into the Ethernet jack on the Tivo, then the other end to your router on any Ethernet port (not input from modem).

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019