Where on earth does Tivo get their listings from [constant errors]

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by CopRock, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Nov 1, 2017 #1 of 25
    CopRock

CopRock Member

Jul 13, 2014

Advertisements

I'm guessing its not from Gracenote since Tivo's listings are riddles with errors listing the wrong movie/show with the same name like right now on SHOtimeExtreme it lists The Devils Pass from 1957 yet its actually from 2013, previously it listed The Others as from 1972 when it was the Nicole Kidman version many others errors ... There are also constant TBA listings with whole channels listed as TBA when my cable company box guide, SpectrumNYC, does have the correct listings

2. Nov 1, 2017 #2 of 25
    tim1724

tim1724 Active Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Temple City, CA
    After TiVo was bought by Rovi last year they switched from the Gracenote (now Nielsen) data to Rovi's guide data which, as you've noticed, is not nearly as good. :(

mattack and CopRock like this.
  3. Nov 1, 2017 #3 of 25
    WRX09MD

WRX09MD Member

Aug 24, 2013
    It’s horrible and I hate the struggle, wish tivo ted could do something.

4. Nov 1, 2017 #4 of 25
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    So complain to them!

5. Nov 2, 2017 #5 of 25
    mlcarson

mlcarson Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Lompoc,CA

Advertisements

It's kind of hard to complain to Tivo about the guide data since they're now the company that supplies it. It's like saying -- why is your kid so ugly?

NorthAlabama, sharkster and CopRock like this.
  6. Nov 2, 2017 #6 of 25
    mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I just mean REPORT the issues.

I keep trying to get people to report to my employer any problems people have with our products.... Everyone should report problems like this..

7. Nov 2, 2017 #7 of 25
    wmhjr

wmhjr Guest

Dec 1, 2007
    Not worth my time. We keep reporting symptoms. The problem is their process. They’ve never shown any indication of fixing the actual problem.

8. Nov 2, 2017 #8 of 25
    mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    OK, then if you're not trying to help fix the problem, you shouldn't get to keep complaining about the problems (to anyone but the maker).

9. Nov 2, 2017 #9 of 25
    wmhjr

wmhjr Guest

Dec 1, 2007
    I pretty much don't complain about it. I've given up. More specifically, since there are errors just about every single day now and like many others, I'm forced to daily check my "to do" list, you don't see me posting it here every day, eh? However, you're not the judge of who "gets" to do anything. Doing the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over - and having the same thing continue to happen because the PROCESS is broken is the definition of insanity. Unless you want to start cutting me checks for my time to reach out to Tivo every time I find an error, so be it.

rlcarr and slowbiscuit like this.
  10. WRX09MD

WRX09MD Member

Aug 24, 2013
    I agree it seems like a waste to report it. I have several issues a week and it's a pain to report it. I've done it before and nothing happens.

slowbiscuit likes this.
  11. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    How many times are folks going to say 'report errors' when it's obvious that Rivo doesn't care?

12. pfiagra

pfiagra Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2014
  13. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    How come tonight 9pm on MSNBC there is an older PBS program "America in Primetime", yet zap2it, titantv and tvguide.com don't have it listed? Has TiVo done something others have missed?

14. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I agree and sympathize. The hassle of reporting an issue (lineup or otherwise), plus the feeling that TiVo doesn't respond, act as a natural filter suppressing the number of reports they get. However I had an executive team support agent tell me they have a threshold of 10 complaints before they turn an issue over to the technical staff for investigation. Thus if we all just complain here but don't bother to complain to TiVo, we may be just inviting them to ignore the problem.

It wouldn't surprise me if tens of thousands of TiVo's are having the BSC issue but only a small percentage of them even bother to post here, and only two or three actually complain to TiVo.

It occurs to me this post would be more appropriate in the BSC thread but ... it is done, and my point also applies to guide issues.

Mikeguy likes this.
  15. TKnight206

TKnight206 Active Member

Oct 20, 2016
    TV Schedule indicates The 11th Hour with Brian Williams. So unless their official site is wrong, you are correct that TiVo got it wrong. It certainly feels like we're doing their job for them.

While checking the spelling in Search, I went back to the Grid Guide and it appears to be correct. I guess it changed in those moments. This all before I had a chance to submit a lineup report. What did it say before, S1 E3 for America in Primetime?

16. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Interesting. I saw it on my grid guide a few days ago, since it was advertised on MSNBC. I'm still surprised zap2it has missed it. Odd that they are starting with episode 3.

America in Primetime - Wikipedia

17. wmhjr

wmhjr Guest

Dec 1, 2007
    Agreed. Been seeing the BSC's. It happens frequently enough that it's apparent that Tivo either can't or won't deal with the underlying issues. Tivo seems content to put bandaids on issues rather than fixing the underlying problems, such as simply poor guide data, the architectural (and hosting) issues causing BSCs. I no longer report anything intermittent - I've just adjusted to the reality. I only report "catastrophic" issues such as when 20.7.4 killed the original BT slide remotes with original minis. I suspect there are a lot more people that have come to the same conclusions. It's nice that Ted is here and taking an interest, but I'm not in any way optimistic that the core root issues can - or will - be addressed. Rovi is Rovi - and is now Tivo. Leopards aren't going to change their spots.

Razzer, slowbiscuit and CopRock like this.
  18. TKnight206

TKnight206 Active Member

Oct 20, 2016
    There might be some confusion here. Let me clarify. Hopefully I have the timezone down right.
    I checked MSNBC on my TiVo.
    TiVo said, America in Primetime.
    I checked TV Schedule
    TV Schedule says, The 11th Hour with Brian Williams
    I go back to the guide in my TiVo.
    TiVo guide now says, The 11th Hour with Brian Williams
    This all happening within the space of minutes.
    As for America in Primetime, I think it did say S1 E3.

But now I'm questioning whether I read something else.
    Moot point. TV Schedule says that The 11th Hour with Brian Williams is on at 9pm ET, so that is what we should assume.

19. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Even MSNBC's online schedule is wrong (or right).

It is gone from the TiVo schedule since my latest update. It seems to be on Prime.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  20. javabird

javabird Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Seattle
    So if we want to report lineup issues, please remind me where to report them?