Where is the Stream for sale?

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by Patrickcg, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Feb 8, 2015 #1 of 60
    Patrickcg

Patrickcg Member

Jul 15, 2003
    The TiVo website doesn't have them and refers you to best buy.

They don't have them.

Fry's doesn't have them.

Amazon only has them from third party vendors that are selling them for almost 190 bucks.

Has anyone seen a stream for retail in the past few weeks? If so, where. I have a Romio, basic model, and was looking to upgrade it, and now it doesn't look like I can without through the nose.

2. Feb 8, 2015 #2 of 60
    gthassell

gthassell Active Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Willowbrook, IL
    patrick, I have a stream available for sale. I was going to put it up on ebay soon, but if you would be interested, let me know what you would be willing to pay (total price shipped to your door), and could probably arrange something.

You can look at my eBay ratings (TiVoFanTodd) if necessary. I'm just getting ready to list a number of older TiVos (S1s, S2s, and an S3 HD) and accessories, but would love to avoid eBay fees if possible.

Just PM me if interested.

3. Feb 9, 2015 #3 of 60
    fivetoedbear

fivetoedbear New Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Suburban...
    Also looking to buy a Stream. Totally sold out at Best Buy in the Chicago area (not quite prepared to drive all the way to Aurora for the one store that has it).

Only a few on eBay.

Is TiVo just out of stock, or are they discontinuing it, or what? Can't imagine they're going to drop the Stream since there's no OTA Roamio with Stream built in.

4. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    I cant find this anywhere and I don't shop Ebay :(

5. fivetoedbear

fivetoedbear New Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Suburban...
    I've opened a ticket with TiVo Customer Support, and am gently pressing for a better answer than "go to BestBuy.com".

I've asked for the company to at least make an official announcement of their intentions to make the Stream available in the future.

If they're just waiting for the next manufacturing run to arrive, I can wait. If they're going to discontinue it, well, I suppose I'm at the mercy of eBay and the unit that's on Amazon for $250.

6. foghorn2

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Thats a mini you linked!

7. h2oskierc

h2oskierc I'm a 2-Tuner

Dec 16, 2010
    Minnesnowta
  8. foghorn2

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
  9. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I heard they have lots of them at Circuit City. :D

But seriously, I can't find any sellers at retail that have one in stock.

10. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    They messed up estimating demand or keeping track of inventory.

A few speculations on why this happened, all with the possible exception of (2.) amounting to the discontinuance of the external stream:

1. They are close to releasing a refreshed Basic with built in stream and/or
    2. They are EOLing the Basic to be replaced by the OTA at entry level and/or
    3. They are repositioning streaming as a premium feature available only with the Plus/Pro, to provide some incentive for buying them other than 6 vs. 4 tuners.

11. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    Picked up a stream last week at Bestbuy.com, yesterday saw a pending charge from Bestbuy.com for $655 so looks like someone breached my card so my bank canceled it. Just a word of caution if ordering from Best Buy. Granted it could have been stolen elsewhere, but the coincidence is just too strong.

12. fivetoedbear

fivetoedbear New Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Suburban...
    TiVo Customer Support is totally dodging the issue.

First, they told me to go buy a TiVo stream from Best Buy.

I reminded them that it's not available from Best Buy, and that it'd be nice if loyal customers knew what the plan was for the product, is it going to be restocked or not.

And they gave me a link to the page where you suggest new features.

13. fivetoedbear

fivetoedbear New Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Suburban...
    Another possibility is that they're holding back a manufacturing batch of TiVo Stream devices for a firmware update to support MPEG-4 as required by some Comcast cable systems. That update is to be out in early 2015 according to this article.

I don't know how the Stream software upgrade works compared to a regular TiVo, but shipping the next batch with MPEG-4 support already in it might reduce customer service costs.

14. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    The Stream already converts content to mpeg4. No hardware update is needed to take mp4 and send it as mp4.

15. kazak99

kazak99 Member

Feb 9, 2015
  16. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    It lies. When you click "add to cart" you get a page that says: "Sorry! This item is currently out of stock."

17. kazak99

kazak99 Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Good catch! I tried adding the Stream from Weaknees to my cart and it reported back, "Sorry! This item is currently out of stock."

18. Patrickcg

Patrickcg Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Weaknees is one of the third party retailer selling them for 190 on Amazon though.

19. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    Guess again

20. Patrickcg

Patrickcg Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Well, they were before they ran out since Amazon now has none for sale.