Where is Hulu Plus? It's been 5 months.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by MediaLivingRoom, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Feb 23, 2011 #1 of 486
    MediaLivingRoom

MediaLivingRoom New Member

Dec 10, 2002

Advertisements

TiVo Will Offer Hulu Plus on TiVo Premiere DVRs

ALVISO, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 09/28/2010 -- TiVo Inc. (NASDAQ: TIVO), the creator of and a leader in advanced television services including digital video recorders (DVRs) for consumers, content distributors and consumer electronics manufacturers, today announced that it has teamed with Hulu™ to provide TiVo® Premiere DVR subscribers with access to the full-array of Hulu Plus™ content streamed instantly to their TVs. The Hulu Plus channel will be available via subscription to all TiVo Premiere customers in the coming months.*

The agreement solidifies TiVo's leading position as the only one-box solution on the market that delivers the most complete entertainment content to the TV with the unmatched ability to use one user interface and one remote to access a sea of broadband, linear and video on demand content.

Hulu Plus offers one of the deepest offerings of current TV shows on a streaming platform to subscribers in the U.S., including every episode of more than 45 current hit programs from ABC, FOX and NBC like Modern Family, Grey's Anatomy, Glee, Family Guy, The Office and 30 Rock. In addition, TV lovers with TiVo Premiere DVRs will be able to enjoy full series runs and numerous back seasons of dozens of classic shows like The X-Files, Law and Order: SVU, Arrested Development, Saturday Night Live, Miami Vice, Ugly Betty, Quantum Leap, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Roswell and Ally McBeal.

"Adding Hulu Plus to TiVo's content offering was really the key missing piece to the programming portfolio that TiVo needed in order to deliver a truly comprehensive advanced television offering on the market today -- bar none," said Tara Maitra, VP & General Manager, Content Services and Ad Sales, TiVo Inc. "TiVo is the complete TV entertainment solution. No other service is as robust or offers consumers the ability to access live TV, Web video, and video on demand content from one box like TiVo does."

Pete Distad, VP of Content Distribution for Hulu, said, "We are laser focused on helping people find and enjoy the world's premium video content when, where and how they want it. Our goal for Hulu Plus is to provide as much consumer choice as possible, and Hulu Plus on TiVo's Premiere DVR offering is a compelling way for us to drive our mission forward."

* Separate subscriptions to Hulu Plus and the TiVo Service will be required to access Hulu Plus on TiVo Premiere DVRs.

---------------

Even though I still hate the offerings of Hulu Plus.... but still.... where is it?

2. Feb 23, 2011 #2 of 486
    shorties

shorties New Member

Mar 2, 2010
    It's driving me insane, it was one of the main reasons I bought the premiere, and now I feel like my 360 is going to get it before my TiVo will. Don't get me wrong once it does come out and we have Netflix, on air TV, and hulu plus in the universal search it's going to be killer. But I am really tired of waiting on this. I've been checking tivo.com/huluplus everyday (The leaked video from last month had that URL at the end of it), but it still doesn't exist. They say the TiVo is all updated to handle it, so I don't know what we are waiting on anymore. They just need to flip some theoretical switch.

3. Feb 23, 2011 #3 of 486
    Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Maybe I don't get why Hulu Plus is such a big deal. At this point due to the economy, I can't see adding yet another pay for video content service to my monthly bills.

4. Feb 23, 2011 #4 of 486
    MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    i guess if it mean you paid them each month INSTEAD of cable then it would save you quite a bit.

5. Feb 23, 2011 #5 of 486
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX

Advertisements

Jeez, calm down.
    It's only TV.

;)

Who's to blame, TiVo or Hulu?
    For all we know, TiVo could be waiting on Hulu to get the ball rolling.

6. Feb 23, 2011 #6 of 486
    Len McRiddles

Len McRiddles New Member

Dec 21, 2002
    U.S.S.A
    Where is it? On Roku of course. ;)

7. Feb 23, 2011 #7 of 486
    dzielonka

dzielonka New Member

Feb 1, 2011
    I had a roku and then decided to give up on directv but wanted a dvr so now have both Tivo and Roku. May seem redundant on some levels, but since roku is free (monthly fee at least) it really fills in many of the gaps.

I'd like to know when Netflix will upgrade their interface.

8. Feb 23, 2011 #8 of 486
    parzec

parzec Wizard of Oz

Jun 21, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Somebody really needs to catalog all of Tivo's press releases for comic value :D

9. Feb 23, 2011 #9 of 486
    shorties

shorties New Member

Mar 2, 2010
    It's like the phenominon of Valve Time, We should just start stating that all TiVo estimated dates exist in "TiVo Time".

10. Feb 23, 2011 #10 of 486
    magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Well, I for one am stumped as to why anyone even cares if Hulu plus is ever on TiVo. They don't have much content as the regular Hulu and they charge you for the damn commercials. I can't really see the draw until they make it free or remove the commercials.

Oh and Roku rocks. I love that little box. Thought it was going to be redundant but it's ultra portable.

TiVo and Roku are awesome for different reasons.

11. Feb 24, 2011 #11 of 486
    shorties

shorties New Member

Mar 2, 2010
    They don't have all the content of regular Hulu but I am pretty sure you're getting a lot more content thanks to the back catalogues you get. The main thing though is a good chunk of what Hulu has Netflix doesn't have, especially current season shows. Its going to be great when I have 3 shows to watch at the same time, and I can just use Hulu to watch the show I didn't record. I have a ton of little set top boxes hooked up to my TV, but I just happen to have a collection of boxes that all don't have Hulu yet, I am eagerly awaiting it on the TiVo and 360, but mostly the TiVo because I use that to access almost all my TV content. I wish I had a Roku instead of Apple TV.

12. Feb 24, 2011 #12 of 486
    slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    LOL, you have a Tivo, whose primary function is to record OTA or cable TV and also skip commercials, and you want to watch current season shows on Hulu Plus with commercials you can't skip. Either I'm missing something or someone can't manage SPs and WLs...

13. Feb 24, 2011 #13 of 486
    restart88

restart88 New Member

Mar 9, 2002
    St....
    Let's clear the air on this. Commercials breaks on Hulu are 60 sec or less. Meanwhile on Tivo I have to hit the skip button 5 or so times per commercial segment, as we all know.

I can tolerate the short Hulu commercials but get tired of constantly skipping through commercials on Tivo. Granted since I'm paying for Hulu+ I don't like having commercials, but it still is the lesser of all evils currently available. The one thing that causes me to keep Tivo since getting my Roku & Hulu+ is that not every show I watch is available yet. Also if say there's something interesting that comes on unexpectedly that I can just hit the record button to save.

I had hoped Amazon on Demand free with Prime would have some of my current broadcast shows but if I understand right so far it's just a nice bonus offering of old stuff if you actually have a need of Prime shipping. Frankly I don't order frequently enough to need it and usually use the slower free ship option.

I'm very tempted to drop cable & Tivo and make due with Hulu & Roku's available free content and my rabbit ears. So what if I miss a few shows. I'm old enough to remember when you were lucky to get 3 broadcast channels that didn't keep fading out into static even in the suburbs. :D

14. Feb 24, 2011 #14 of 486
    orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    If we're going to be clear, commercial breaks are however long Hulu wants to make them:
    [​IMG]

This episode of "No Modern Family" has (5) 30 second breaks, NOT including the short break before the episode even starts.

15. Feb 24, 2011 #15 of 486
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    well to each his own I guess. I personally do not mind hitting a few buttons on a remote versus staring blankly at a screen. IF this was free Hulu than I would say it just comes with the content - but paying a premium, meh.
    Note - those that stop paying cable to get Hulu plus instead fall into a different category. They are getting content for somewhat less money and dealing with the delivery method.

16. Feb 24, 2011 #16 of 486
    Scyber

Scyber Former ReplayTV User

Apr 25, 2002
    After being spoiled by ReplayTV's Automatic Commercial Advance, even hitting a few buttons is a burden :)

In my case after getting Hulu+ on the Roku I was able to drop one of my 3 TiVos. There is just enough content on Hulu+ to resolve the conflicts that made the 3rd Tivo necessary. No more monthly Tivo sub covered the hulu+ cost.

17. Feb 24, 2011 #17 of 486
    TerpBE

TerpBE Go Terps!

Jan 23, 2003
    Philly 'burbs
    Is that the show about the guy who has a young Colombian wife, a married daughter, and a gay son, all of which are superheroes?

18. Feb 24, 2011 #18 of 486
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    That's compared to 18 minutes of commericals during normal viewing from OTA.

19. Feb 24, 2011 #19 of 486
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I say each to his own. The more options there are the better. For me OTA provides more TV than I am likely to watch but I can see why other people might want more options specially if you have a family with multiple TVs.

I was bored a few weeks back and put together a computer to play with viewing streaming video on my 50 inch plasma. My DSL is working OK at the moment (had many, many problems in December & January) so I have been watching TV through several on line sites including Hulu and Boxee. My system doesn't like the boxee software but most other sites work just fine.

My problem is I really don't watch enough TV to have time for OTA shows and streaming video. All three of my HD TiVos are now full (standard internal drives, 1 external 500 GB drive and 1 external 1 TB drive). So paying for Hulu+ doesn't seem too attractive. I know they are adding a bunch of older moves but I still don't see where I would have time to watch more content.

Just my 2 cents,

20. Feb 24, 2011 #20 of 486
    djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'll just pile on here and say that Hulu Plus works great on the Roku box.

Also, Amazon Prime streaming video works great on the Roku box.

Oh, and the Netflix interface on the Roku blows TiVo's Netflix away.

If only the Roku was also a DVR...