Where does Joel Mchale find the time?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mrdazzo7, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Sep 1, 2010 #1 of 13
    mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006

Advertisements

I don't know how Joel Mchale manages his schedule. He's a lead character on a single-camera sitcom, which I'm sure takes up a huge chunk of time (that's usually most people's only job). Then he continues to host The Soup every single week... plus at the end of every "Soup" he mentions a stand-up gig he's doing somewhere in the country... Then he pops up in what looked to be a time-consuming, choreographed dance number that opened the Emmy's. Plus he's voicing a character in an animated movie due out next year.

I thought for sure he was single/unhitched but apparently he also has a wife and two small kids... I had trouble balancing my full time job and full time school schedule (no wife, no kids, no second and third jobs), so I can't imagine how he does it. Kind of want to know what his schedule is like.

2. Sep 1, 2010 #2 of 13
    blogan

blogan New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Watching the Soup, I don't believe they ever do a second take. If they do, it must take a huge screwup for them to do so.

3. Sep 1, 2010 #3 of 13
    TheMerk

TheMerk Always Bid First

Feb 26, 2001
    Salt Lake...
    I've wondered the same myself about Joel. Ryan Seacrest is another guy that's constantly working.

4. Sep 1, 2010 #4 of 13
    mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    True... I'm gonna have to do some searching on line, I've always been curious what the shooting schedule is for The Soup. I guess he only works on it one day a week maybe. I wonder what the schedule is like for Community then... I'd assume it would be pretty heavy.

5. Sep 1, 2010 #5 of 13
    scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...

Advertisements

I don't know about Mchale, but I want to know where does Max Martini find the time?

Seems like he's been in every series I watch lately...

[​IMG]

6. Sep 1, 2010 #6 of 13
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I'd imagine the for The Soup, he shows up one day a week, goes over the jokes, gets in makeup and records the show and is in and out in four hours or so.

I'd imagine that he wrote it into his Community contract that he gets the time to do The Soup, since it's so easy and he wouldn't want to lose it only to have the sitcom get canceled.

Voiceover work for an animated movie can also be fit into a busy schedule. He just shows up to a recording studio and can do that any time, day or night. They'll make sure the sound engineers are there when he's available.

As for live standup gigs, that's a little more time consuming, but he probably really enjoys the live stuff, so he makes time for it as best he can.

7. Sep 2, 2010 #7 of 13
    busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    His name is really Max Martini? :eek:

He should be a lounge singer, not an actor. :)

8. Sep 2, 2010 #8 of 13
    whitepelican

whitepelican Member

Feb 14, 2005
    I always thought Joel McHale and Ryan Seacrest were the same person.

9. Sep 2, 2010 #9 of 13
    Waldorf

Waldorf Super Duper Member

Oct 4, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'd also add Jay Leno... :)

He's got that show every weekday, and it seems he's doing standup every weekend somewhere around the country. If you ever check his "garage" website, he's very active in the auto enthusiast community as well. Imagine my surprise when he showed up on Top Gear. Turns out he was in town for the 2009 Goodwood Festival of Speed and in London to help Jaguar unveil the new 2010 XJ sedan and squeezed a Top Gear visit in there as well.

10. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    Except for Seacrest could fit inside Joel's left thigh. People don't realize it, but McHale is huge - he's like 6'4" and played college football.

11. Waldorf

Waldorf Super Duper Member

Oct 4, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Heh... made me think of this...

[​IMG]

12. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    I always had that same thought with both McHale and Seacrest.

Seacrest though gets away with some trickery as a good number of stations pick up his syndicated stuff which I am guessing is possibly pulled from his morning show in LA and then the station mixes in their own music and maybe cut out the "best" stuff, etc. When Idol is on though it is a busy day with Seacrest but I think his radio and TV stuff is all done out of the E! station in LA so he is there in the morning recording his stuff and then jets over for AI at night.

13. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    Yeah, Seacrest does the morning show in L.A. live, but that stuff is repurposed for the midday shows that are around the country, and also for American Top 40. The parts of the syndicated show and AT40 that are not repurposed from the morning show are recorded while the L.A. show is either in commercial or playing music. So he does 3 jobs at once during that 4 hour time frame.

But that's just his radio jobs. He still works at E!, American Idol, does the New Years Eve thing once a year, hosts the occasional awards show, produces shows he's not on (the Jamie Oliver Food Revolution and Keeping up with the Kardashians), etc.

One year he did the red carpet for an awards show on E! for 3 hours, and then went inside and hosted the show for whatever other network was airing it. I think this was the year the Emmys had the nominated reality competition hosts host the show together.