Where do you drop oil in a Roamio fan?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by magicbobNJ, Jan 26, 2021.

1. magicbobNJ

magicbobNJ New Member

Jul 30, 2019

Advertisements

Hi - I have been dealing with a noisy fan in my Roamio OTA, for a couple of years. I do see a slotted area that repeats in the fan casing.

I do not want to remove or replace the fan.

Did you drop the oil in one of those slots that surround the fan? Or one specific slot or other place?

I'm not clear if it could be any of them, or I'm looking at the wrong place.

Can anyone help by clarifying or sending a pic? Did this fix continue to keep your fan quiet?

I have already dried canned air many times, and cotton swabs for cleaning, but the noise continues.

Thank you so much!

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Usually there is a plug type of cover under the label.

3. magicbobNJ

magicbobNJ New Member

Jul 30, 2019
    I had already looked and don't see this or even a label that could be removed. The text is printed on plastic that is part of the casing

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I see on Amazon, search "Roamio fan" and most of them have a label.

5. magicbobNJ

magicbobNJ New Member

Jul 30, 2019

Advertisements

I do not want to remove or replace the fan. Just oil it to see if that quiets it.
    Anyway, mine doesn't have a removeable label. Already tried to do that.

6. brobin

brobin Active Member

Feb 14, 2014
    You could try a shot of silicone oil in the slots but I've never had any luck oiling computer fans and at best any improvement would be temporary. The needle bearing inside is only good for so long and when it's shot it gets noisy which it means that it's ready to fail completely. No fan means higher internal temperatures which will shorten the life of the processor or cause other strange problems. I don't know why you're hesitant to replace the fan but that's the best solution. You can buy 5 fans for 10 bucks on Amazon so it's not a cost issue and the job itself is very easy.

7. Kingboo2314

Kingboo2314 New Member

Jul 30, 2020
    Alabama,...
    Do not try to open a fan. Get a new one.

dianebrat likes this.
  8. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  9. magicbobNJ

magicbobNJ New Member

Jul 30, 2019
    Thanks. Someone mentioned they used hair clipper oil, which I have. Is that silicone or a proper oil for this fan?
    I did watch the video to replace the fan, and my concern is having a major issue I didn't have before just by disassembling and reassembling the interior of my the Roamio.

10. MrDell

MrDell Active Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Rhode Island
    Hair Clipper oil is not a silicone but hair clipper oil is what I used when my premiere acted up years ago and it did the trick. I think any light oil should be fine... I was told not to use anything like WD40.

videobruce likes this.
  11. magicbobNJ

magicbobNJ New Member

Jul 30, 2019
    Where specifically do you apply it? Only one drop total? How many years since you applied it is or was it still quiet?

12. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    At the RPMs a cooling fan runs in electronics by the time you hear the fan it has gone beyond "a drop of oil" let alone a couple of years.

A Roamio OTA is a piece of cake to open with a little care and replacing the fan is EZ.
    Just buy the WeaKnees fan kit off Amazon. Comes with the tools and they have a great video on how to do it.

dianebrat likes this.
  13. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    OP
    As mentioned by multiple people (included the post I quote), you're past a drop of oil, the repair you want to do is a fan replacement, it's the same amount of work getting to the fan to oil it would be.

14. MrDell

MrDell Active Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Rhode Island
    I only used one or two drops... under a label if I remember correctly.... I think that this may help short term but as others have mentioned it’s really not a big deal to change out to a new fan and it probably has to be done at some point down the road..... good luck