1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where do I plug in the Internet?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by HarleyRandom, Jul 13, 2018.

1. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Member

Sep 17, 2015
    The tech support person said I couldn't use the wire that I used for the phone line, or plug that wire in to the same location. I don't see a place that looks like I would plug in the Internet and this didn't come with an owner's manual.

The phone line has failed to get programming information for most of the past month. On the day it was supposed to run out somehow it came through. This doesn't happen with the Series 2. Although it has a different phone number that is not on the Series 3 list. Why bother? I need to spend money on the new cable, but apparently that's all that will work. I tried several phone numbers and watched and it appeared it would finish, but then that triangle appeared and I had to start over.

I got this machine because someone in tech support told me the next generation couldn't deal with my slow Internet. Turned out it worked just fine with my Roamio when I thought I had to replace the Series 2 (yes, almost 10 years since I bought it, and still working!). I bought it when I heard Time Warner was switching to digital and I knew Series 2 would only record one show at a time.

2. JLV03

JLV03 Member

Feb 12, 2018
    You should have an Ethernet port on the back of your Series 3. Is your internet router in the same location?

3. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Member

Sep 17, 2015
    What I don't know is where the port is. I don't see anything that looks like it and I don't have a manual. The "router" is in the same room.

4. JLV03

JLV03 Member

Feb 12, 2018
  5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The Ethernet port looks just like the phone port, except its a little wider. If you were to mistakenly plug in the phone line to it, it will burn out.

Today's dial-up phone service is dying out for internet connections. Its also very slow. If you are lucky to find a number for the Tivo to dial out, it would be long distance.

Series 3 is the last Tivo which still included a modem for dial-up service.

71OIrNOHyAS._SX425_.jpg

6. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Member

Sep 17, 2015
    That looks like my machine. I see the port that I need. Thanks.

7. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Cable purchased, plugged in after I felt the back of the machine in the approximate location, though I could have turned on the light. Turned on TV, message said automatically switched to Internet as source. No program information. Repeated process from before, it is done.

8. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Looks like I did this just in time. I got a message saying as of July 15 I couldn't get program information without paying.

I haven't run out of program information yet on Series 2. I'll ask about that elsewhere.

9. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    ??? Without paying? Paying for what?

Tivo service, if lifetime, all paid for.... Unless you have monthly or yearly. I think Tivo will not renew monthly or yearly.

10. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The last time I needed to connect cables in the back, but couldn't see back there.....I used my smart cell phone, set the camera to record video, with light on. The screen showed me everything there lit up and can see and have the right cables fit in the right places.

11. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Oops. Left out "by phone line".