Where did my channels go?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by SnoBunny, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Aug 7, 2016 #1 of 13
    SnoBunny

SnoBunny New Member

Aug 7, 2016
    I am new to TiVo. I have regular expanded basic cable requiring no box, hooked up through the coax cable cord from wall to my flat screen tv in the living room & 2nd older tv upstairs same hookup. I get atleast 60+ channels on both cable lines, up and downstairs. After ripping my hair out for days trying to hook up my Tivo I found this wonderful community forum. You guys are saints! :D

I have a Roamio model TCD846500 after figuring out how to switch it from antenna to cable, thank you TiVo community. I was able to pull up 19 channels. Where did my other channels go? I am guessing I have done something wrong because I still have them through my regular tv upstairs but I would like the option to record some of the missing channels downstairs through the TiVo.

Now my remote wont allow me to change channels even typing in the channel, it worked fine earlier today. Any help or advice would be great and Thank you in advance.

2. Aug 7, 2016 #2 of 13
    UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Did you install a cable card and get your cable company to pair it? Do you have a tuning adapter?

Maybe you had better walk us through the steps you have taken since first acquired your Roamio.

3. Aug 7, 2016 #3 of 13
    SnoBunny

SnoBunny New Member

Aug 7, 2016
    I ordered a cable card today and have no tuning adapter. I made the mistake of thinking I was tech savy until I got this thing lol I assumed when I hooked up the box it would just give me the same channels through the cable cord I get on both tv's. I purchased this used but everything came with it. I removed it from the box, unscrewed the cable cord going to the back of the tv and screwed it into the back of the tivo listed antenna/cable. I used the hdmi to hook it up to the tv and installed the tivo power cord. It was apparently set to antenna by the previous owner and several attempts to switch it to cable failed by clicking it. It said account in good standing but no picture. I found this thread and then went through guided set up and set it to cable and then did a channel scan. Now it says account closed and I got 19 channels last I looked. I went to try to turn the channel and now it wont change the channel & I have no idea what this thing can really do or if i will get the channels I want to record. I am waiting on the cable card to see if i get my channels back before purchasing a tivo subscription.

4. Aug 7, 2016 #4 of 13
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    You may want to review the following thread, discussing analog vs digital cable channels -- and that the Roamio and later BOLT model only support digital cable channels.

See: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=508345

You might want to mention your zip code and cable provider, for assistance reviewing the provider setup.

edit: p.s. From what I can tell, it looks like the 2-tuner Premiere models were the last to support analog cable. (see Weaknees comparison chart)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  5. Aug 7, 2016 #5 of 13
    SnoBunny

SnoBunny New Member

Aug 7, 2016
    OMG Thank you for the thread I didn't realize it was ONLY digital. I figured it was regular with digital. I live in the outback, I think dana278 and I have the same cable company! lol. I am lucky I get 19 channels!
    Will the cable card make a difference? or it sounds like I might need a different kind of TiVo?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  6. Aug 7, 2016 #6 of 13
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Possibly.

This is why I suggested you list your cable provider and zip code. Those who know how to research such things could likely provide some insight as to what to expect on each side of the analog/digital divide.

7. Aug 8, 2016 #7 of 13
    PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    The TiVo Premiere's were the last to receive digital and analog channels. The two tuner models were also the last to receive Cable and OTA channels concurrently.

8. Aug 9, 2016 #8 of 13
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    FYI a TiVo without a subscription is pretty much a brick, regardless of what channels or broadcast stations you want to get.

9. SnoBunny

SnoBunny New Member

Aug 7, 2016
    I know I am very limited without a tivo subscription I can pause live tv and rewind or forward about 30 minutes and thats it. I want to make sure I get my regular channels before I am locked into a subscription. Are SD channels considered HD as well? Thinking I may need an older less techy machine that does both analog & digital.

10. thyname

thyname Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    SD channels are not considered HD channels. They are SD channels which stands for Standard Definition, nothing to do with digital vs. analog. HD means High Definition.

Your TiVo will not work without a subscription to TiVo , unless you bought a unit with Lifetime subscription, in which case you will need the seller to transfer it to you.

11. SnoBunny

SnoBunny New Member

Aug 7, 2016
    The tivo box is working I just cant record, get program info or pause longer then 30mins at a time. I was told I didnt need a monthly subscription with it and at 1st it said all good. Then I set it up and the account closed lol I have to call a number or go online with a code and set it up but I havent bothered with it because getting it to receive my channels has been hard enough. I will get tivo service and I look forward to it however the channels I am getting in HD I have no interest in watching or recording so its pointless right now.
    What I need is... a tivo that has at least dual tuners so I can watch one show on 1 channel while recording or watching tv on a different channel. Also gets analog & digital at the same time. lol Does anyone know what series models or years I should be looking for? I was told the premiere but no model numbers and not all premiere's do analog & cable. I then found a series 2 but it doesn't seem to have dual tuners? Is there a swapping area on here where people can trade equip? I am going to end up selling this one and getting a different one, most likely.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  12. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    The TiVo's that can tune both digital and analog cable are all Series 3 units (orginial Series 3, TiVo HD, TiVo HD XL) and the dual tuner Premieres. You will still need a cable card (2 for the original Series 3) for the digital channels & guide data to work correctly and of course you need a subscription for the units to work at all.

All of the units I mentioned can be purchased used with lifetime subscriptions at fairly low prices. TiVo is no longer allowing un-subbed Series 3 units to be re-subbed so those units are worthless without an existing lifetime subscription.

13. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It would really help if you answered post #6.