Where can I get a car dvr ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by wilson2020, Sep 11, 2011.

1. wilson2020

wilson2020 New Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Where can I get a car dvr ?
    where can I get a car dvr ? it must be high definition ,,the mobile detact function.also can play back.where can I buy it much cheaper?

2. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Get a 12vdc to 120VAC inverter, 100 watts or more should do and then you can connect any TiVo to that and a HD TV that will fit in you car (hopefully the back of the car)

3. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    How do you plan to record with a DVR?

4. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I made an assumption that the OP wanted to watch what was already on his DVR, recording from a car never enter my mind.

5. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Can you mount a Dish on top?

6. Balzer

Balzer Active Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I've often wondered why there isn't a Tivo-like device in cars for radio, if only just to buffer the live broadcasts. There have been many times where I missed something that was on the radio while I was driving and wanted to rewind it to hear it again.

But maybe it's just not something too many people would be interested in.

7. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Satellite radio(XM, at least) has been doing this for years(well over 6). Pretty sure there are other types(none satellite) with the capability also.

8. Balzer

Balzer Active Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Huh.. I have XM in my car, and I don't have that ability, and there is no mention of it anywhere. It must be something on standalone players, not built into the car... :(

9. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    I also would love to have such live-radio buffering, but the Sirius radio in my 2010 VW doesn't have such a feature.

10. HomieG

HomieG Nowhere Man...

Feb 17, 2003
    Somewhere...
    It's in the aftermarket radios, Sirius for sure. Not sure if their current radio lineup has them, but I definitely have the buffering feature in my ~5 year old Sirius unit. Didn't think I would use it a lot, but indeed I do. Not totally TiVo-like (30-second skip, scheduling), but for buffering I get about 44 minutes, and find it useful.

11. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Yeah. Guess it must be just the stand alone, aftermarket units.

The XM "Sky Fi II" unit I bought at least 6 years ago does it. Didn't know the built in, oem units didn't. What a rip off. Probably to save 50¢ for a memory chip or something, which you probably paid for, many times over, anyway.

12. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    We keep a slew of DVDs in our car; it never occurred to me to look for a DVR for the car instead. Not for the "R" part; but so that we can do away with the DVDs. A little searching online turned up the following:

Beuler MVP400 Digital Media Player

ETA: And a car HDTV tuner:

13. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    There are mobile apps that will do this.

14. Riverdome

Riverdome Member

May 12, 2005
    My 2012 Ford Focus has this feature built into the stock Sirius radio. works great, I played a certain song over and over must have been 4-5 times on my way home from work the other day. Then the wife called and ruined all my fun.

15. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I wonder if more people don't realize they might just need to hit the "skip"(back/forward) button, if there is one?

16. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    We have Sirius/XM in two of our cars (BMW and Lexus) and neither have options like this.

17. LoREvanescence

LoREvanescence Always Autocorrected

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    I thought back in the early 2000's a company did made a car / radio dvr with live buffer. Don't think it saved recordings, just had a 30 minute buffer.

They got sued over copyright infringement and lost and went out of business. And for the most part no company has tried to make a radio dvr because the music industry / major labels sue and have been successfully bullying these company's right out of business.

Is this still the case, or is there a accepted understanding between them now and they allow live buffers / dvr?

18. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I really don't follow this stuff any more, but I'mm pretty sure, to this day that there are stand alone and or portable/convertible for car use "Satellite radios", that can pretty much do for radio, what Tivo(and other dvr's) does for video. At least in a basic sense: buffer, record programming, even automatic scheduling. And this has been the case to at least back to about 2005, or so, as I remember.

I am not saying they all do this, obviously.