Where can I buy an HR10-250?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by frozen_rope, Dec 26, 2006.

1. frozen_rope

frozen_rope New Member

Dec 26, 2006

Advertisements

Hi, I currently have two HR10-250s and really enjoy them. I am adding a new plasma TV to my gameroom and would love to add a third unit. I believe that DirecTv has moved on to a new HD DVR that isn't Tivo, but I would much rather have the Tivo HR10-250. Does anybody know where the best place to get an HR10-250 is? Does DirecTv still sell the HR10-250 units?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. hiker

hiker S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Nov 29, 2001
    SF Bay Area...
    I believe DirecTV is sold out. For a new one be prepared to pay a premium price. Try Weaknees here or eBay.

3. az_double_eagle

az_double_eagle Certified Golf Nut

Aug 13, 2006
    Glendale, AZ
    Premium price indeed. $1299 for a stock 30 hour unit? :eek:

Even Adam Smith would laugh at that one!

4. frozen_rope

frozen_rope New Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Ok, thanks.

If I get an HR-20, will it be compatible with my dish (the standard dish, not the new MPEG-4 model) and an OTA Antenna for my HD signals?

Conversely, if I upgrade to the MPEG-4 Dish, then will my HR10-250s be compatible with the new dish?

Thanks!

5. hiker

hiker S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Nov 29, 2001
    SF Bay Area...

Advertisements

I think the answer to both your questions is yes but best to ask about the HR20 in the forum here.

6. Sir_winealot

Sir_winealot Seenyer Member

Nov 18, 2000

Holy ka-rap...last I saw they was goin' for $799!

You can try calling any Circuit City in your area....sometimes they have 1 or 2 left in the back, or maybe a floor model without cables for cheap.

7. ddruker

ddruker New Member

May 16, 2004
    You can get a used one on ebay or on craigs list. I just picked one up on Craigs List (www.craigslist.com) for $150. I popped in two new 400 gig drives and it's better than new.

8. kbohip

kbohip New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Colorado...
    $1299 but you get "free" shipping! :rolleyes:

9. videojanitor

videojanitor Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Wow, you got a great deal there. I put one of my HR10s on eBay on Christmas Eve (!) and set it with a "Buy It Now" price of $400 -- somebody bought it within a couple of hours.

10. SledgeHammer!

SledgeHammer! New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    I paid $499 a few weeks ago for a new in box, stock 3.1.5f off of eBay. For some reason, it even had 2 remotes.

11. BrokerDon

BrokerDon New Member

Sep 9, 2006
    Newport...
    I bought a "like new" HR10-250 for < $300 off eBay a couple of weeks ago after watching the auctions. Most were going for $400+ during the month I found mine. Best advice is to wait until SEVERAL are being auctioned in the same time window... Usually the later ones will sell for less. Also, I used a FREE eBay "sniping" program called JBidWatcher which puts in the minimum bid right before the auction closes... Won the bid by $1.00 over the "first loser" :cool:

Also, be sure the seller guarantees EVERYTHING is FUNCTIONALLY (not costmetically) 100%... HDMI, DD, etc. Also, be sure all the cables are included (HDMI cables can be expensive at CC, BestBuy, etc.) and also preferably an access card so you don't have to wait for DirecTV to send one out. Finally, be sure the previous owner has taken this TiVo off his DirecTV account.. My seller forgot this step which delayed me being able to get my DirecTV stations for a day until he cleared it off.

Craigs list is a GREAT alternative although when I tried this most of the HR10-250s ads were "old" because the sellers had sold them in the first couple of hours their ad went online. You'll have to check the ads frequently and jump on them when you see one for a good price ($300). I barely missed two this way. Downside is there is NO resolution program in place for Craig's List... If the one you buy is defective (HD, access card reader, HDMI, etc.) and the seller won't give you your money back, you're S.O.L.

Good luck!

12. denary

denary New Member

Sep 30, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I actually have a new sealed one sitting at home that I will be placing on ebay or craigslist after the new year. I just need to get around to doing it!

13. weaknees

weaknees Active Member

May 11, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Look, we don't really mean to argue the point here, but we were faced with this decision:

Pay a fortune for units, and be able to sell them on our site for the fortune we paid, plus a profit, or just not have them at all. We decided to pay the fortune.

We agree that the price is basically nuts, but we had so much demand that we took the gamble and bought the units. And as crazy as it is, they are actually selling, and we'll be out again before too long unless we manage to get more, which we are working on.

I myself (Michael) wouldn't pay that much for one of these for my house - I'd do the easy thing and make the switch to cable. The Series3 box is really much better to me, largely because of the networking (albeit limited in the S3). And I don't really recommend that anyone get this. But we have customers with media rooms with Crestron systems and the like, and they were begging us to find more so that they don't have to reprogram and relearn and rewire. So we found them, and we offer them.

14. BleuM&M

BleuM&M New Member

Aug 16, 2005
    Westfield, IN
    Thanks for the frank response Michael. I personally have nothing against making a profit, and if the market is there, and if you can, why not participate? It will be interesting to see how your pricing affects sites like eBay.

I note that your Tivo upgrade kits are still great deals and will continue to recommend (and use) WeaKnees.

15. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    Cha ching, i watched a new one sell for $750 earlier this week.

The history of the pricing of the HR-10 is pretty funny.

Basically started at $1000, went all the way down to $199 with deals from DirecTV, and now is back up to around $700+ for new ones on ebay.

And then eventually with MPEG 4 taking over, will start going down again.

-smak-

16. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    It's not really price gouging. These are not available in any retail channels, and there are not that many new ones out there.

It's like saying Spider-Man #1 is price gouging when it sells for $50,000. I mean, it initially sold for 10 cents...

-smak-

17. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    this is better than the millions I invested in real estate...free up to 1299!

edit correction... adding their $199 250 gig kit apparently makes mine worth 1549 :)

18. tivoupgrade

tivoupgrade Sponsor

Sep 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL...
    This is true. There is a very good (and comprehensive) definition of it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_gouging

19. davsherm

davsherm Active Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Tampa
    Well apparently the market is there, and Weaknees is not doing anything wrong, so I apologize. My post was unfair and uncalled for, I will remove the post.

20. kchristy

kchristy New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    South Pas