Where can I buy a Premiere XL from that allows monthly service transfer?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by shady, Mar 8, 2011.

1. shady

shady Previously European TCF Club

May 31, 2002
    Morgan...

Advertisements

I want to replace my TiVo S2 that has a $6.95 monthly service plan (I have two other TiVos with lifetime).

I remember you used to be able to buy a TiVo from anywhere other than TiVo and have the service plan moved to the new unit. Is this still the case?

Option 1.
    If I try to purchase from TiVo's upgrade program, I'm offered the $9.95 monthly service plan on top of a TiVo XL costing $349.

Option 2
    If I look at Amazon, I can buy a TiVo XL for only $235, but the small print says I need to sign up for a $19.95 service plan.

I don't see ANY options that allow me to purchase a TiVo Premiere XL and then move my existing monthly service plan to the new unit.

Am I wrong?

2. Quake97

Quake97 New Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Southeastern PA
    ebay? craigslist?

Joe

3. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Weaknees, maybe. I am not sure if that will work for you. Actually, I just looked at them, and it looks like they are the same as Amazon. You could try calling Tivo and asking them if they will do if for you.

4. shady

shady Previously European TCF Club

May 31, 2002
    Morgan...
    I tried the Chat with an expert option on their page.

Albert: Hi, my name is Albert. How may I help you?

TiVo Customer: I'd like to buy a TiVo Premiere XL and move my $6.99 per month service plan to this new box, but the upgrade options only allow me to choose a 9.95 monthly service. Is it possible to do what I want?

Albert: Unfortunately it is not. The $6.95 plan is no longer an option.

TiVo Customer: but I don't want a new plan, I want to move my existing plan to the new box. I can do that if I buy a TiVo HD, but I couldn't work out how to do it with the Premiere

Albert: That is correct, you cannot transfer existing payment plans to the TiVo Premiere units.

TiVo Customer: Even if I buy one at Frys electronics?

Albert: Correct.

TiVo Customer: thankyou

5. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...

Advertisements

Wait two weeks for the $99 and $19.99/mo promo ends and the premieres go back to a normal price.

eta
    ...and nothing changed except they stopped calling it a promotion. Now it's just the regular cost.

6. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Those of us who were on the lookout caught on fast that the refurbed Premieres and Premiere XLs from woot.com were eligible for service transfers, that's what I did for the XL I got on Woot last month.

7. T.DurdensOthr1/2

T.DurdensOthr1/2 Space Monkey

Jul 30, 2010
    WOOT.com will be doing the Premiere XLs for ONE day only 4/4/2011 for $199!!!!!!!!!

8. T.DurdensOthr1/2

T.DurdensOthr1/2 Space Monkey

Jul 30, 2010
    If the TiVo is a used box without active service, it definitely qualifies for a TSN transfer.. sometimes even when it's new.. I've had to do that before myself. I have a permanent $9.95/mth service plan that I transferred onto the Premiere I bought from EBay.. (got it for $60 New in the box btw...!)
    When I talked to the Rep they said that if I don't purchase the Premiere's from Retail/Online Retail stores (Best Buy, Amazon, etc) then chances are pretty good I'll be able to transfer my old service plan and that I should always call them first before I make my purchase.

9. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Right now, you can get a refurb'd Premier XL for $199.99 +$5.00 shipping, that you will be able to transfer your current subscription to, from sellout.woot.com
    The offer is only good until midnight (central time) or until they run out of stock, whichever comes first.