Where can I actually find a 1 TB Expansion Drive?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TeevoDeevotee, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Nov 3, 2011 #1 of 19
    TeevoDeevotee

TeevoDeevotee New Member

Oct 28, 2007
    OK, I need more space on my Tivo HD. Plug and play sounds like the easiest option. As far as I can tell, Tivo still only officially supports the WD My DVR expansion drives. Fine. I'll take one.

Except no one sells it. It's either discontinued or there's massive demand because every retail site says it's out of stock and they'll email me when (if) it becomes available. It's even out of stock directly from Western Digital.

I can get it from Tivo.com for $199, but I was hoping for a little price competition. Can someone point me to a site that actually has them available for less?

Thanks.

2. Nov 3, 2011 #2 of 19
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    It would be a disservice to encourage you getting an expander drive. With that, you have double the probability of HDD failure and HDD failure is by far the most common TiVo failure mode. You lose most or all of your recordings when an expander drive fails, too.

I recommend an internal plug-in expansion drive, for example:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/dvr_dude/m.html
    DVR_DUDE has an excellent reputation on this forum.

3. Nov 3, 2011 #3 of 19
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I Think you are searching for the wrong product. The current product is called "My Book AV" here is a link to the Western Digital product page:

If you do a Google search on My Book AV you will find plenty of places to buy it.

However I agree with dlfl internal upgrades are way to easy to mess with the complications of adding an external drive - best buy has a 2TB Seagate drive on sale for $75. I just ordered one to replace a failed drive in my TiVo HD.

Good Luck,

4. Nov 4, 2011 #4 of 19
    ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    WD lost 60% of their manufacturing capability in the Thailand floods, and doesn't expect to be back to full production until at least March.

I agree that an internal is probably better in the long run, but if you aren't comfortable opening your TiVo grab the My Book AV from anyone that still has one and forget competition. Amazon had one left Tuesday but it's gone now. Newegg, buy.com, BestBuy, etc are all out of stock.

5. Nov 4, 2011 #5 of 19
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Wasn't the 1TB expander at TiVo at least $50 less last month? I wonder if they raised prices on it already. I could have sworn I looked at the price when I bought my Elite.

6. Nov 4, 2011 #6 of 19
    takeshi

takeshi Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Probably -- see the first sentence in the post just above yours.

7. Nov 4, 2011 #7 of 19
    Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    Consider getting an internal HDD from DVRDUDE on eBay. Buy either a 1 or 2 TB HDD. They come with instructions and are very easy to install yourself. 10 to 15 minutes, 20 tops if you have no clue what your doing like me and move super slow.

Good Luck!

8. Nov 4, 2011 #8 of 19
    dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I concur with taking this approach, maybe quickly, as his prices may rise soon too.

Well, I would actually buy the Seagate 2 TB (internal)drive at Best Buy for $75 and do all the work myself, but short of that, go with "dude" or other such outfit(if cheaper).

9. Nov 5, 2011 #9 of 19
    TeevoDeevotee

TeevoDeevotee New Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Thanks for the advice. Just ordered upgrade from DVRDude.

And yes, the external drives from Tivo were $149 at one time.

10. davidwsica

davidwsica thegdgteer

Mar 26, 2005
    I'm comfortable with DIY internal upgrades but what's the prevailing thought on voiding the warranty. Especially considering I purchased the extended warranty (not trying to start a discussion on the advantages/disadvantages of extended warranties).

The other issue I have with this internal replacement is that I will lose all my existing recordings.

11. tomm1079

tomm1079 Member

May 10, 2005
    For some reason i want more space with my elite....just feel that i am going to eventually need it.

How often does the expansion drives die? Are they reliable?

12. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you're going to open up the TiVo to swap drives you might as well just buy a drive and use MFS Live, WinMFS, or jmfs to copy over the old one and expand.

Much cheaper.

I think Best Buy has a 2TB WD Caviar Green for $80 or $90 just now.

13. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    $79.99

Unlikely to find it, IMHO.

ARGH, it actually DID show as available at my local store for a brief period today. I should have ordered it AT THAT MOMENT, but I didn't, and missed it.. (It may not have actually been available, since at one point soon after it seemed to be available for ship to store from local stores... then it was unavailable to any.. and I just checked, still unavailable.. horrible web site that makes you click select store on EACH store, then takes a while to show you Unavailable.)

14. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Was your DVR/warranty purchased from TiVo? If so, note that the warranty is one time use and then it's over.
    Have you had the Tivo longer than 90 days? I would wait at least that long before you do the upgrade.
    As for voiding the warranty, it is your call. If you have an issue after you do the upgrade, you will want to put the original hard drive back in and let it run a couple of days before you call TiVo. As long as you don't mention that you opened the box, you might still get support, but don't go in expecting it.
    If TiVo happens to look at the logs from your DVR, they may be able to see that you have upraded the hard drive at one point.

Having said that, I think the odds are in favor of the consumer. There have only been a few people that have reported being refused warranty coverage due to upgrading their hard drives. Of course, YMMV.

15. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    Its available in my area, $79.99 but doesnt do me a bit of good since i dont have a cluie what to do with it to get it to work in my TiVo HD..damn

16. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    On the one in a zillion chance that you didn't forget the tongue in cheek tag, you could consult

Tivo HD Upgrade Instructions - using JMFS

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=462179

17. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I agree with the general consensus, here. Internal is truly the way to go. First of all, not only does adding an external drive at least double the chances of a drive failure, an internal upgrade cuts the impact of a drive failure way, way down. You can take the old drive and sit it on a shelf for safekeeping. Then, if at any point in the future your new drive fails, you can be back up and running in a matter of minutes by taking the old drive off the shelf and putting it back in the TiVo.

DYI upgrading an internal drive is so trivially easy I can't imagine anyone being daunted by it, but then again I'm an engineer and I find it hard to imagine that anyone would find anything about computing to be difficult. Nonetheless, I do know (but don't understand) that some people are daunted by the idea of opening the case of a computer. The cases on my computers are rarely closed. If you are at all comfortable with opening the case on your computer, then DIY is really the way to go. If you are comfortable with opening the case on the computer, but nervous about copying the contents of t he TiVo drive to another drive, then DVRUpgrade and DVR_Dude can sell you pre-formatted drives - for a premium. If you are terrified at the thought of taking a Torx driver and opening your TiVo, then those same fellows offer upgrade services - also at a premium.

18. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Well we can help you do it and tell you what to do. It's VERY easy to do. Like the previous poster said, look at the upgrade thread. All you need is a computer to hook it up to, and the WinMFS program. If your original drive is messed up, there are a lot of people that can send you an image to use. :D

19. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    There was a time when I didn't have a clue about the care, feeding, and upgrading of TiVos either, but with a lot of reading here and the "other site" and some other web pages here and there (thank you, Google), and patient advice from fellow TiVo'ers, I now almost do have some idea what I'm doing.:)

If that drive is still available in your area, go ahead and grab it if your budget allows, 'cause it looks like drive prices are going to be outrageous until at least next spring, and it never hurts to have a spare on hand.