Where are you going?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by nrc, Oct 12, 2006.

When you give up your HR10, where will you go?

1. I will DEFINITELY switch to some other TiVo product and cable.

18 vote(s)
    10.2%
  2. I will PROBABLY switch to some other TiVo product and cable.

45 vote(s)
    25.4%
  3. I will PROBABLY switch to whatever DVR is offered by DirecTV

61 vote(s)
    34.5%
  4. I will DEFINITELY switch to whatever DVR is offered by DirecTV

33 vote(s)
    18.6%
  5. None of the above (explain below)

20 vote(s)
    11.3%
  1. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...

Advertisements

Obviously the forum is split on the topic, where do you fall?

2. Galley_SimRacer

Galley_SimRacer "Once you go Mac..."

Mar 1, 2002
    Greenville, SC
    Well, since local HD's are coming to my town in the next few months, and the only way to record them is the HD20, I will have to make the switch.

3. vMAC

vMAC New Member

Aug 4, 2006
    yea if they get rid of the HR10 I will have to go to whatever they offer in it's place :(

4. btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Mountain...
    I've already got the Series 3 and cable. I haven't got rid of D* yet.

5. kbohip

kbohip New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Colorado...

Advertisements

I voted that I'd probably switch to whatever DVR Directv is offering. This is hinged upon whether or not the HR20 is any good, ie, reliable. If when the time comes that I'm forced to switch to the HR20 the DBSTalk forums are still filled with the same type of problem threads that there are now, I'll switch to cable (God help me) and hope to get a decent Tivo DVR from Comcast.

Truthfully, I can't make a decision yet as there are too many things yet that can happen in the future. Software upgrades fixing the HR20's problems, S3 coming way down in price, Comcast Tivo either sucking or being really nice, etc.

6. davsherm

davsherm Active Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Tampa
    Well since there is a free upgrade from the HR10 to the HR20, I will be going to the HR20. My expectations for a dvr a fairly low, however, I do expect D* to enable the OTA tuners, implement FTM and dual buffers. I won't pay $800 for a S3 and have to use Charter cable service. I will keep the HR10's in service until I feel confident in the HR20 though. If the HR20 fails to earn my trust, I will wait until D* dumps MPEG2 HD, and then I will switch to the best alternative available at the time (FIOS, S3, etc). By then I should be able to pick up a couple of S3's for $100 ea. :D

7. Seminole

Seminole New Member

Oct 27, 2003
    E.Walpole MA
    I will be going to FIOS when available I have had enough of D*

8. y2khardtop

y2khardtop New Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Albemarle NC
    keep my 750gig TIVO for saving movies, then add a new DirecTV DVR when I need MPG4

9. smimi10

smimi10 New Member

May 11, 2006
    I'm seriously considering FIOS when it gets rolled out in my neighborhood.

Mike

10. bpratt

bpratt New Member

Nov 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    I will probably keep D* and switch over to the S3. About 95% of what I record is OTA. My understanding is the S3 will record OTA without a cable card or cable connection. I will also keep my HR10-250 for as long as it works.

11. AreBee

AreBee New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Smoke-free...
    I'm with D* as long as they have the Sunday Ticket. They have me by the short ones.

12. btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Mountain...
    It will, and it has a better tuner.

13. String

String Member

Aug 2, 2005
    I hate comcast. I will go to S3 and Fios

14. tivolocity

tivolocity Active Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Salt Lake...
    I voted "none of the above."

As I'm sure many of you did, I came to D* for the PQ, and a dual tuner TiVo DVR. With the advent of HD, the PQ advantage is disappearing, and dual tuner DVRs are available almost anywhere. Although, most of the non-TiVo DVRs are not really in the same league when it comes to usability.

This is probably just me, but my biggest issue is I HATE per device hardware subscriptions. It irritates me to no end. After paying my money, and walking out of the store, I don't want to keep paying for what I just bought. Mirroring fees, and the TiVo subscription fees, both SUCK!

Yes, it may seem irrational. And, there's lots of different way to look at it. Lots of other things you can compare it to, internet, phone, etc. But, with internet and phone service, I don't have to pay extra for each device in my house. I just have to pay for the service, which is fine.

90% of what I record and watch is OTA. My current plan is to play the waiting game, and stick with my HR10 until next spring. Hopefully by then, the picture will be more clear regarding Apple iTV (maybe they'll be some tuner/dvr support), DirectTV / Intel viiv, HTPC / Cablecard PC Tuners / Set top boxes, etc. Who knows.

15. Bloggator

Bloggator New Member

May 12, 2005
    Kingwood, TX
    I'll probably keep DirecTV, since I know the channel lineups, but I've been building a lot of BeyondTV PC DVRs for my house. I figure I've got two years to get the wife used to BTV, then I'll make the full switch over. BTV's menus are really similar to Tivo's, so it won't be a big issue. I actually like it better now, but my wife still prefers Tivo.

16. cheer

cheer Registered Offender

Nov 13, 2005
    Gurnee, IL
    I'll either stay with D* AND with the HR10-250, or I'll go MythTV for OTA and whoknowswhat for the rest...or I'll switch to U-Verse when available.

17. kevdude70

kevdude70 New Member

Sep 21, 2006
    North...
    I'm waiting to see how the comcast boxes + tivo software look. I'd like to go to the S3, but I'm not going to spend another $1000+ on a DVR to have it obsoleted in just 2-3 years.

I'd rather not go to comcast, but factoring in that I only have a home phone line for the directivo, it ends up being cheaper to go with comcast for similar service and drop the phone. Also being 40 miles from Chicago my attic antenna gets almost as many dropouts as the satellite during big storms. I'm addicted to 9-2 "The Tube" music video channels, which is already on comcast...

Although if dtv gets sold off from newscorp, I bet they may have a future tivo box to avoid any patent issues when their current deal with tivo expires.

18. harley3k

harley3k New Member

Jul 19, 2006
    I'm going with FIOS here. It's being installed next week. HD-DVR in 2 rooms, more HD Content, for the same montly bill I was paying to D*.

Their DVR is good enough, certainly adequate compared to the craptastic HR20, and I don't have to buy it.

I'll get all my HD locals through the fiber, so OTA is not an issue, nor is weather or weak reception from my antenna.

Best of all, More HD Channels NOW.

Oh and of course there's the 15mbps down / 2mbps up - internet connection which I've had for almost a year now and love ;)

-h

19. cheer

cheer Registered Offender

Nov 13, 2005
    Gurnee, IL
    I'm in Gurnee, and my attic antenna has at best only minor dropouts during big storms (even when satellite is totally gone). Not counting WBBM of course.

You might think of getting a good Winegard and putting it up on the roof, or alternatively getting a pre-amp.

20. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I have cable and D*. Right now SA8300 (trash) and HR10.

By next year, expect to be HR20 and S3.

Hopefully, the HR20 will have dual buffers and lots of HD content with new sats. Also, hopefully the S3 will be a bit (lots?) cheaper than it is today.

I gotta figure that the HR20 even today is better than the SA8300, so it is logistics and cost that hold me up right now.

(I'll get to play with an HR20 when my sister gets hers later this month.)