When you're away from TiVo what do you miss most?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Dawny, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Dawny

Dawny New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Wild Wild West

Advertisements

So does anyone watch TV without TiVo? Maybe while travelling or visiting folks who do not have a DVR? What TiVo features do you miss most (if you even notice a difference)?

2. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    When I travel for business, I literally don't turn on the TV in my hotel room (except to throw on CNN while I'm getting showered and ready in the morning).

Seriously, the idea of "What's on right now" and "What channel?" (especially with unfamiliar hotel cable lineups) is so foreign to me that I can't find anything worth watching and just don't bother.

3. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    The last time I was on vacation and had time to watch TV, I had two thoughts.

1. "I have 49 shows in Now Playing that are better than this drek".
    2. "Ack! Where's the FF button? This commercial sux!".

4. stantonl

stantonl New Member

Jun 21, 2004
    Eagle River, Ak
    I usually don't watch anything but sports and news when I'm away. Most hotel cable line ups don't have anything I prefer to watch anyway.

Larry

5. Seattle

Seattle Active Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA USA

Advertisements

If I have Internet access I use my slingbox to watch my TiVos. If I do not have Internet access I do not watch TV.

6. Redux

Redux No intent to annoy

Oct 19, 2004
    I miss browsing through the wishlists, and the schedules for TCM, FMC, IFC, etc. and picking out all those great movies to record. That I wind up hardly ever watching but I will someday.

Also, deleteing all those TV episodes I started tivoing two years ago but then finally watched the first couple and they were lousy.

In general I like my Tivo a lot more than I like TV.

7. terih

terih New Member

Dec 26, 2003
    I love my mil, but she is a chatterbox. I usually don't bother watching much tv at her house because she talks through whatever is on and I miss half of it.

8. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    ah the beauty of TivoToGo and having shows on your smartphone to watch that can still be FFed through as needed.

last vacation I had setup Orb at home and the kids wtached Avatar via the opera browser on the Wii I brought along. Course most of the time we were outside playing ta the beach or pool so did not need a lot of shows just a few for that little bit of down time

9. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    I miss the recorded shows the most. :)

I don't watch TV when I'm not home.

10. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Product Watch followed by KidZone.

Actually I like getting the opportunity to occassionally watch TV the old fashioned way. It has its merits in limited quantities.

11. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Trick play and the 14 day guide.

12. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Ff

13. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    :D

14. SC0TLANDF0REVER

SC0TLANDF0REVER I Love my TiVo!

Dec 9, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    - Instant Replay
    - FF through Commercials

15. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    I often find myself trying to rewind to watch something again or FF through commercials when I'm away from my TiVo.

16. mightyb

mightyb Tivolutionized!!

Dec 5, 2003
    Gilbert, AZ
    P A U S E

17. nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...
    Nothing - Slingmedia is your friend :) In fact I type this from my hotel room with my TiVo playing in the other window!

18. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    I take a TiVo with us and transfer a bunch of shows off of the other DVR's.

I also use a PlayStationPortable or DVR burner to watch shows. Weather I'm flying, sitting in the airport or driving down the road we can always have a TiVo recording to watch.

My next purchase will be a Slingbox to round it all out. TiVo for me is about control, when I can take any show with me in an airplane, that's something! :up:

What I do find is that I'll reach for my XM or Sirius radio to FF or hit the 7 second rewind. :D

19. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Watch it, Hot or Not junkie.
    :D

20. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    The Sirius unit I bought has a 45 minute buffer, so I can do exactly that. :D

I leave it on overnight so I'm 45 minutes behind "live" when I start off to work in the morning. Song comes on that I don't like? Hit FF once to skip to the next one. :up: :up: :up: