When will Tivo support Linksys USB200M ver2 ??

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by siouxmoux, Dec 21, 2005.

1. siouxmoux

siouxmoux New Member

Nov 19, 2005
    I got Linksys USB200M as early Xmas give to hook in my tivo into my home network But when I plugged it this adapter into the back of my tivo. I got error message saying its not compatible with tivo. The person I got the Linksys USB200Mver3 insured me that Its is compatible with tivo. And information on tivo said so. But i just on your website and its states is Not Ver. 2 is not compatible at this time. So when will this particular Linksys USB200M ver2 will work if ever. Or I should i by another one from another brand. That is really truly works with tivo 2 thanks

2. TiVoJerry

TiVoJerry Caavo employee (Ex-TiVo, '00-'16)

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA
    The version 2 of this adapter is **expected** to be available with the next version of SW, but we really can't guarantee that yet since it seems this adapter didn't include a linux driver. If you're looking to use networking features anytime soon, you should consider using another adapter.

3. jjberger2134

jjberger2134 Member

Nov 19, 2002

or find a version 1. Note, version 1 has an image of an orange/white CD on the right side of the box. Version 2 does not have the CD image.

I am happy with both of my version 1 Linksys adapters.

4. jjberger2134

jjberger2134 Member

Nov 19, 2002
    By the way, it may take some looking around at different stores, but the version 1 adapters are still out there. I was in my local Office Max the other day, and they had 3 or 4.

5. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    or perhaps you can get jamie to let you use the backports eh Jerry?

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    They would still have to be included in the upgrade.

7. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    Get the Netgear FA120, similar price and a much sturdier design. I have 2 and they work perfectly. The DLINK equivalent is also reported to work well.

8. Jan 5, 2006 #8 of 24
    Battlerock

Battlerock Galleon Expert

Jan 2, 2006
    Nebraska/Flo...
    I have deployed about 100 Tivos over the past 6 months for various clients and finally got around to working with my own over the weekend in my new home. Previously to a wired connection, I was using a Linksys USB Wireless card and seeing speeds of about 350kbps. Since I am recording about 20 shows per day now, using Galleon and archiving everything to a large external storage array, I want and need higher speeds. I decided to go to a wired connection. Here's my problem.

I initially purchased what I thought was a Linksys USB200M Ver 2.0 and realized it to be a USB100M when I noted speeds only about 100kbps faster than the wireless card. I returned the card and went on a hunt for the USB200M, but could not find one locally at 8 stores so, I resulted to our friends at Amazon and picked one up overnighted for $30.

Anxious to get this hooked up, I ripped open the box like a child on Christmas morning and plugged it into the Tivo and received a slap from the Tivo and a notice of the card not being supported. WTF? I thought to myself, I have deployed these on over 20 Tivos with no problems at all. After digging the newsgroups and archives here, I realized that there is a Linksys USB200M Ver 1.0 card (Not USB version 1.1 reference) WTF? The 2.0 doesn't have a Linux driver built into it. Just my luck. My question for Tivo is this... I assume if I took the time, I could load my own linux driver on the Tivo and make this work (Yes/No?) or the easiest thing to do would be to buy another card. My next question is this... What kind of speeds will I see out of the Tivo with a USB version 2.0 vs. 1.1 device and driver? Will the Tivo support USB 2.0? USB 1.1 is 12Mbits/second USB 2.0 is 480Mbits/second. Am I mistaken in thinking the USB200M Ver 1 is also USB 2.0? I have to be making an error with that thinking or something. Please advise. What USB 2.0 device (If this speed is supported) works with the Tivo2? I read the posts and just want to clarify this before purchasing another device.

Finally, when will Tivo support speeds faster than 10/100 ethernet? I have Gigabit Ethernet and 2GB Fiber in my home and would love to be able to go lightning fast speeds in the future. Please advise.

9. Jan 5, 2006 #9 of 24
    classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    If your DVR begins with a service number of 2 or 5, it has USB2.0 ports, and 7.1 software supports them as fast as the CPU can.

Easiest is to take the adapter back to and get a supported one. Recommended is the Netgear FA120 and D-link DUB-E100. You might get 20 Mbit/S.

10. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    The V2 adpater uses a different chipset and to date a linux driver has not been written for the new chipset. In addition with each new rev of hardware and software Tivo have made it harder and harder to modify the installed software. So even if you had a driver the work involved to get to the point of being able to install it is considerable.

My recomendation, return the Linksys and buy a Netgear or D-Link. If you really, really want a Linksys buy me an FA-120 and I'll trade you.

11. Battlerock

Jan 2, 2006
    Nebraska/Flo...
    It's not that I want a Linksys. I simply want a device that works faster than the wireless device, but if it is not going to be that much faster than the wireless, why jump?

My Tivos sit about 20 feet from one another and the one upstairs has it's wireless card on a 6 foot cord that goes through the floor. The wireless itself is about 2 feet from the router so, it is going as fast as it can. It would be nice to have a true 100MB Full Duplex connection using a wired device, but if it is only going to get USB speeds... I'll forget about it.

What is the fastest speed you can possibly see with the following devices connected to a Tivo? (i.e. what is the best and fastest method for networking?)

Wireless B
    Wireless G
    USB 1.1
    USB 2.0

The reason I ask is because if the Tivo is restricting the speeds, what's the point of plugging in a wire if you get the same speeds with wireless?

And what cards are supported by the Tivo? I want to make sure I have this documented correctly for myself and my clients I support.

Can't wait until the day we can plug a fiber cable into the back of these suckers.

12. Battlerock

Jan 2, 2006
    Nebraska/Flo...
    Really? I have never had a problem accessing any of my Tivos from the OS perspective. YMMV

13. JamieP

JamieP Member

Aug 2, 2004
    Actually, the chipset used is supported in the latest 2.6 kernels, and there are tivo drivers available on DDB that work with a usb200m ver.2. Of course, you have to have a hacked tivo to upgrade the drivers. Perhaps tivo will pick them up in a future software version.

The same drivers work for the el-cheapo airlink-101 dongles that use the same chipset. These are sometimes available at Fry's for <$5.

14. gtrogue

gtrogue Mentally Hilarious

Jun 18, 2001
    Atlanta
    If you are willing to wait for another online order you can order the proper USB200M ver. 1 directly from Tivo.

15. juanian

juanian Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chandler, AZ
    Is there a way to tell if the Linksys USB 200M is Ver 1 or Ver 2 if it is out of the box? I realize that plugging it into a TiVo will probably tell, but is there a way to tell just by looking at the device?

Thanks

16. JamieP

JamieP Member

Aug 2, 2004
    The model number is printed on the back and includes "ver.2" on the newer version.

17. JamieP

JamieP Member

Aug 2, 2004
    The backport drivers available elsewhere for "hacked" tivos already support ax88178 based usb2 gige adapters like this one. There is no spead advantage, unless you can enable jumbo frames on your network. This requires all your NIC's and switches to support jumbo frames. I like the cheap SMC switches and intel PC NIC's. WIth jumbo frames, I get about 90Mbps in raw (netperf) benchmarks, and about 5-6MB/sec for MRV transfers. TTG performance from tivo to PC doesn't improve, as the bottlenecks are elsewhere.

BTW, these drivers are GPL'd. There's nothing to stop tivo from picking them up in a future software version.

18. Battlerock

Jan 2, 2006
    Nebraska/Flo...
    Thanks!!! This was the easiest route to go... if I had more hours in the day, I might have stumbled upon it in the rewards site. Never have used any of my points so for 7,500, why not...

19. Battlerock

Jan 2, 2006
    Nebraska/Flo...
    Well, that sucks. Maybe it's simply time to build an HD machine using windows media center. I have several friends I work with doing this and they are awesome. Maybe spending a couple grand is the route a consumer should go, if this is what they want.

I see the Xbox 360 is operating just like the Tivos and Galleon. Pretty slick device too, but not all of the capabilities of the Tivo.

I like the Tivo because of the cost, but the quality of video just isn't there and this issue with cards not being supported... sucks.

In my home, I wanted the fastest speed, HD quality video not to mention reliability and performance. I think it's time to research sourceforge for some other HD equivalent PVR or Media server solutions.

Anyone know when and if Tivo is going to come out with an HD Tivo for basic cable service such as my Scientific Atlanta PVR? I know one exists for satellite service, but you can't turn it into a media center like the Tivo2.

20. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Isn't that a little extreme, builing an MCE PC because of TiVo's adapter "troubles".

See all the "S3" threads in the CH forum here for the dvr you want.