When will d* discontinue mpeg 2 for HD?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by matthewliebman, Aug 20, 2007.

1. matthewliebman

matthewliebman New Member

Jun 1, 2002

Advertisements

When will d* discontinue mpeg 2 for HD?,
    I have a HR 10-250 which I've recently upgraded( via instacake) to 145 hrs HD, 945 hrs SD.
    I'll like to continue using it even if only the current HD channels due to my large storage capacity.

I've been given different answers by D*:
    Sept when new channels come by one person. December by another.

Any better info

2. tfederov

tfederov M GO BLUE!!!

Jul 6, 2003
    Plano, TX
    The short answer is yes. The long answer is they will but we don't know when it'll happen. The rumor mill has it going all the way out to the end of 2008. Your HR10-250 though will still be able to record your OTA HD channels.

3. fjwagner

fjwagner New Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    argh! Where is that darn search tool.

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY

Advertisements

This topic is the new "What does the window button do?"

5. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    The query may be similar, but unlike answers to the "window button" question, the answer to the thread question posed here has big impact on consumers.

6. matthewliebman

matthewliebman New Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Please Just give the the thread of the previous answers. I searched Mpeg 4 and didn't get an answer

7. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    huh, what window button?

8. RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...
    The sad thing on this forum and others is that folks want to complain about how many times the question has been asked, instead of just answering it or giving a link to the answer. :thumbsdown:

The answer to your question is that mpeg2 HD will be around for a while, but no one knows for sure because DirecTV hasn't announced when they will stop it. I've seen speculation that says it will be shut down any time between the next couple of months to the end of next year.

My own thought is that DirecTV will wait until the beginning of the year to see how many Tivo users have switched and make a decision then.

9. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    It will be based upon how many HR10s are still out there. They have pretty much said so in the past. The timeframe is up for debate. End of year is a nice round date. But so is XX months after D10 deployment. Or D11.

I am cheering for it to be sooner rather than later even though it hurts my HR10's ability to get HD because they may plow the bandwidth back into MPEG2 SD and for the remaining SD it would be nice if it were better.

10. Directvlover

Directvlover Go Huskers!

Apr 12, 2004
    Or my personal favorite:

"Can i use my Directivo with Cable?"

11. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004

It might be better to say it will depend on the number of HR10's that are out there minus the number of HR10's in the same house as a brand new HR20 and a new 2 year commitment. If the customer can't drop DTV and they already have a HR20 capable of getting the signal then I see DTV not caring that another room in your house can't get it because you are hanging on to old equipment. That could be a much smaller number.

12. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    The sad thing about your post is that you say we should just answer it or give a link. So why didn't you just answer it or give a link?

And I have an answer to that question, which is there is no link to something that nobody knows, and it's impossible to give an answer to a question if you don't know the answer.

I don't know, and you don't know, and what you posit as an answer, isn't one. All any of us can do is speculate or try to make an educated guess, which makes the whole exercise somewhat pointless.

The only speculation I would add beyond that is that I'm not convinced that anybody at DTV even knows for sure, I think that they are playing it by ear, and if they did know, they wouldn't tell us anyway. If so, then it's really pointless to speculate any further.

13. CosmoKramer

CosmoKramer New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Carlsbad
    Yes, the old 2 year commitment issue. That is the reason I will not upgrade because I feel there will be more options in that time frame. Or I should say for me a 3 year commitment since I have one year on the book's. I do have a h20 to see what content will be available when new SAT is ready but feel it will not be much for a year or so.

14. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Your commitment resets... it doesn't append.
    So if you activated a new one, it would only be a 2 year... not 3 year.

15. tnedator

tnedator New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    And what is the cancellation, something like 12.50 a month? So, each month that goes by, you can 'buy' yourself out for less money.

16. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Yes..

$300 for 2 years, thus each month you "pay off" (for lack of a better term) $12.50 of it.

17. TPA

TPA New Member

Oct 12, 2005
    When MPEG2 is turned off, will the HR10 still provide all of the functionality for the OTA HD channels (provide guide data, season passes, etc.)?

18. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    It is expected to... yes.

19. CosmoKramer

CosmoKramer New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Carlsbad

Thanks Earl! That is good to know, just took it for granted that it would append.