When will CA Comcast have the new Tivo UI

Discussion in 'HD Comcast TiVo DVR (Archive)' started by lostman72, Nov 12, 2007.

1. lostman72

lostman72 New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Central...
    Is Comcast giving these out now? If they are in what states? I am in CA. I have one comcast none DVR just for OnDemand for Howard TV. So if I upgrade to the DVR will they just down load my box with the Tivo UI or are the boxes loaded with the Tivo UI before you get them?

2. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Supposedly they go full-scale with the deployment here in the Boston area just after Thanksgiving. It is obviously a lot more complicated than many folks thought.

California -- who knows?

3. cypherstream

cypherstream Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Reading, PA
    I think it comes out a few months after Duke Nukem Forever is released...

Oh if you haven't heard of Duke Nukem Forever, here is a good read:
    http://duke.a-13.net/

4. BOMOON

BOMOON Negative Futurist

Dec 11, 2004
    Southern NH
    I also live in the Boston area - in southern NH to be exact, less than an hour's ride from you in Burlington, with essentially the same service as Metro Boston.

I just signed up for Comcast DVR service last week. The receiver unit they grave me is a real piece of crap, one of the Scientific Atlanta models. Anyway, they told me not to sweat it because Comcast was going to be upgrading to a "TiVo type DVR" really soon. I asked them to elaborate and they just repeated "soon". That was as far as I got.

I hope it's "soon" as in this year. I'm used to the TiVo interface after many years of service with DirecTV. The current one is... well, never mind, I won't waste your time. Just imagine "bad" in a kind of abstract sense, like in the universal symbol for evil, and that sort of thing.

The reason I'm posting here is because there has been a development in the Comcast user community which I am tracking very closely. It seems that after a recent firmware/software upgrade, Comcast users with standalone TiVo sets find that their TiVo units no longer control the Comcast receiver's DVR functions. They report that this is because the Comcast upgrade has disabled the unit's serial ports, making it impossible for the TiVo to communicate with it.

That may be one way to drum up business for the new Comcast/TiVo set that's coming out, but it's not going to win friends with the TiVo folks. Unless they know about it too and it's part of the game plan.

Anyway, things are getting really messy. I don't know what kind of game Comcast is playing here, but I own it now and TiVo is involved, so I'm keeping an eye on it. I want TiVo too and I'm worried that this boneheaded play on Comcast's part is going to screw everything up.

Here's hoping we all get fixed on this issue,
    BOMOON

5. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

Your going to be for a wait. The Tivo software is comming to the Motorola boxes first.

6. BOMOON

BOMOON Negative Futurist

Dec 11, 2004
    Southern NH
    If that happens, I'll just demand to be switched over to the Motorola box - or else move on to another service.

It's hard to believe that they'll upgrade only the Motorola boxes and lock out all the Sci. Atlanta users. If they do that they'll lose a lot of customers in this area.

Of course with their brilliant marketing strategists deciding to just deactivate all the TiVo serial ports, who knows what will happen.

I wonder what TiVo's take on this is?

BOMOON

7. ajwees41

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    You can't use Motorola on a sysem that use SA hardware.

8. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    "Soon" applies to the Motorola-based areas, I fear. Sorry.

My TiVo has never communicated with my Comcast DVR, except via IR blaster.

9. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Are you sure about that?

Up to a few years ago, we had SA boxes here. I got rid of them when the last scrambled channel was moved to the digital package. I've used "no box" analog ever since, but just got one box again for certain channels I was interested in.

The box?

A Motorola.

I don't recall anyone saying that box users would need to get rid of their SA boxes. Unless it's something that I've missed, seems the two may be on one system here.

10. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Did that old SD box you had support VOD and PPV?

11. ajwees41

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

I think if I remember right Motorola was working on a way for them to run on an SA headend, but I don't remember if the SA can run on a Moto headend this talking about digital only.

12. edspider99

edspider99 New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Chicago
    Comcast came today with 2 M cable cards for my new S3. The visit and phone call was $18 the cable cards are $1.50/mo. I returned the moto DVR today to save $13/mo. I decided not to wait and see what kind of TiVo implementation they might down load on the crappy moto DVR box. I love the S3 and I'm sure I'd love the Tivo HD unit as well.

13. cypherstream

cypherstream Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Reading, PA
    We used to have SA boxes too, but they were SA8610X advanced analog boxes. They had an on screen program guide and one click PPV ordering. They only decode analog scrambling though Digital QAM is an entirely different monster. When Comcast took over our system (it was AT&T prior) they deployed Motorola DCT-2000's with digital cable. Today there are just 5 analog scrambled channels left. The only place I've seen an SA analog box is at Outback Steakhouse bar area. They have two SA analog boxes driving TV's in the bar area for ESPN2 and VS (both of which are analog scrambled in our system).

There has been technology put in place where both SA and Moto DIGITAL boxes can co-exist. Sony Passage was one version, but SA has another Simulcrypt or something of that nature. Also in theory you could use an SA cable card in a Motorola DCH box. The only thing preventing that is the OCAP software to talk to the Motorola specific guide data provider and VOD server. It should come someday though. A cable company doesn't generally run both boxes in the same time not only from cost (simulcrypt hardware or extra software development), but also support. The user interface on a SA box looks vastly different to the one on a Motorola. The Passport OS on SA is simular to Passport DCT on a Motorola, but Comcast does not use Passport and has no intentions. They are working with joint-venture GuideWorks to port their I-Guide application to SA boxes.

14. Johncv

Johncv Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    Comcast will roll out the TiVo upgrade AFTER all the networks run out of anything worth recording. :D

15. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    After my hair grows back predicts the bald headed man who lost his hair naturally.:)

16. BOMOON

BOMOON Negative Futurist

Dec 11, 2004
    Southern NH
    Hi espider99,

I assume by "2 M cable cards" you mean "2 multistream cable cards"?

I feel the same way about whatever TiVo implementation they download to the Scientific Atlanta. How good could that combination possibly be? Like putting a fusion reactor in a Model T.

If it's that easy to get the cards in place, I'm giving TiVo a call this AM to see what they have to say about Comcast, cable cards, and the S3.

I like the looks of that S3. I like the interfaces (have to make sure that Comcast's cards won't muck those up), the eSata expansion, the native 300GB and of course the TiVo UI with the Wishlist, which is the feature I want most of all.

Update: If anyone in Southern NH is interested in how this is done, I just called Comcast. The monthly fee for two multistream cablecards for the TiVo S3 is $3.75. When I get the TiVo I call Comcast and they do the install.

While talking to Comcast I pressed "Mute" on the remote. The sound went away but the video also froze as though I had pressed "pause". After several tries of doing various things to the remote I got the thing playing again.

At this point my SA just wants to die. If I were Elvis, I'd shoot it.

Big Al Mintaka

17. edspider99

edspider99 New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Chicago
    Yes, they are the multistream card. Of course, Comcast only uses them like S cards and so two are needed and they are only one 1-way. But maybe in the distant future, Comcast will wise up and enable 2-way so they can restore PPV and OnDemand.

And absolutely, it was completely uneventful. I set up the S3 for the analog cable and got it all working the day before. Comcast arrived, popped the card and made a phone call. They left and everything worked great. That was a few weeks ago. Haven't have a problem since.

When I returned the Moto DVR to comcast the next day, they were shocked i was willing to loose PPV, OnDemand and their lovely "interactive" channel guide. I nearly laughed.

I want to loose the Moto HD STB, but Comcast will charge me $6 for cable card #3. (The first two cost $1.50). Since they charge $7 for the Moto HD STB it doesn't make sense to save a $1 a month considering I would have to buy the TiVo.

BTW. Consider the Tivo HD. $100 less than Series 3. 1/3 smaller capacity, no OLED or THx output.

18. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    I believe you're confused. S-card versus M-card has nothing to do with one-way versus two-way, and indeed CableCards all support two-way -- it is the host device (in this case, the TiVo) that either does or does not support two-way.

19. BOMOON

BOMOON Negative Futurist

Dec 11, 2004
    Southern NH
    Hi Bicker,
    I understand from the TiVo folks that the S3 with 2 M cards will at least support 2-way comm. But what will Comcast do about it? Since they supply the cards, they should be able to program the firmware on the cards to support PPV and On Demand.

As usual please keep in mind that I know nothing about this. It's the first time I've done any serious fooling around with DVR technology. Prior to this the only thing I knew about this 2-way comm business was that the DirecTV DVRs required a phone link to support their PPV service. The info on purchased programs was stored in the DVR. At some periodic interval, DirecTV would "call" the DVR and upload the PPV info for billing.

This is how I got the idea that as long as a 2-way comm interface was present, the host service could use it do upload and download whatever they wanted whenever they wanted - in the case of Comcast, that would include PPV and On Demand info.

The other issue that's confusing me is the political one that drives the implementation of all these technologies by the different companies involved.

I sure can't believe the technology itself is any kind of hurdle for these guys.

Big Al Mintaka

20. ajwees41

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

No the Tivo people who told you that are wrong. there is no 2 way hardware in the S3 or TivoHD.