When We Left Earth: The NASA Missions parts 5&6 bad guide data alert for 6/22/08

Discussion in 'Season Pass Alerts' started by terpfan1980, Jun 22, 2008.

1. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...

Advertisements

Show: When We Left Earth: The NASA Missions
    Date (or entire series): 6/22/2008
    Recording Issue: screwed up guide data
    Identified Carriers: Discovery channel
    Channel(s): Discovery channel/Discovery HD (not HD Theatre, but Discovery HD)
    Other Details: screwed up guide data. See below to help you decipher the mess...

There has been a lot of confusion about the scheduling information for the Discovery series When We Left Earth. To help clear up the information for this coming weekend, I'm putting up this alert to help keep things straight.

In the first week of the series, at 9pm east/8pm central on June 8 Discovery aired two hours worth of When We Left Earth, using the title of the second episode of 6 separate episodes in the guide data.
    If you follow me, the title was pulled from episode 2, with the title being Friends and Rivals. The title of the first episode (if aired as 1 hour segments, or viewed via DVD/Blu-ray, etc.) should be: ORDINARY SUPERMAN.
    Later that night, at 11pm east/10pm central Discovery aired JUST the first episode and used that title for it. TiVo, DirecTV's HD DVR (HR20/HR21/etc.), my Verizon FiOS HD DVR, etc., all saw the titles and considered them unique episodes and caught approx. 3 hours of recording with the 3rd hour a duplicate of material aired in the first hour.

Even later that evening/early the next day Discovery re-aired the 2 hour block again, again using the same title as they used originally (Friends and Rivals).

The same screwed up titling was used when parts 3 and 4 were aired, and now they're (Discovery) lined up to repeat the same mess for the remaining *2* episodes/segments/parts that are left in the series. That means on June 22, they'll air episode/segment/part 5 and episode/segment/part 6 but as a combined unit and will use the title from the 6th episode/segment/part as the title of the 2 hour block of programming. Later they'll air just the *5th* episode/segment/part of the series and use just the title for that episode/segment/part and most DVRs will come along and record that airing wasting space on your DVR and confusing most viewers into thinking they are getting extra material.

There are only 6 hours total airing. If your DVR records more than 2 hours (or at least more than just a bit over 2 hours...) of programming it's getting repeats.

BLAME DISCOVERY (but then thank them for airing this series to begin with ;) :p :)) for this mess. It will be repeated (the mess) in the last week of the series too. I'll try to post another alert before those segments air.

You can let your DVR record all of the repeats if you want, or you could just kill the repeats by checking the online schedule information at Discovery (see link here).

Discovery really screwed the pooch on this one and should have used better titles for the paired airings.

The way the episodes (part 5&6) are labelled: Home in Space (June 22) 9pm east/8pm central until 11pm east/10pm central (followed by THE SHUTTLE at 11pm east/10pm central).

The way the episodes should have been labelled: THE SHUTTLE & HOME IN SPACE 9pm east/8pm central and 10pm east/8pm central

2. Philly Bill

Philly Bill Everyday is Saturday

Oct 6, 2004
    Rotonda...
    I'm afraid to delete any til I go through them all. I have a 2 hour the first night.. then a one hour that looks like part of the original two hour.

Then another two hour from the next Sunday... and a one hour of the Eagle Landing that was part of the two hour from the second Sunday.

Tonight I suppose I'll get another two hour. And Monday a one hour that will probably be part of the last two hour?

So if I watch the three two hour shows.... from tonight, last week and the week before. Will that be all? Can I delete the one hours? Are there only six hours total??

It looks like another (totally unrelated) special 'In the shadow of the moon' is next week... but not a series? Just one episode?

How freakin' confusing can they make it?

3. terpfan1980

Jan 28, 2002
    In the Shadow of the Moon is actually airing on Monday 6/23/08 (tomorrow as I type this).

On the episodes you already have recorded the 1 hr segments are repeats of content from the earlier airing, but if you've got room to keep them it's not a bad idea to keep them for now until you get through all of the episodes, just in case there were issues during the airings (weather affecting DirecTV if you have them, cable outages, etc.)

4. Philly Bill

Philly Bill Everyday is Saturday

Oct 6, 2004
    Rotonda...
    So.. is it still safe to say there were/are SIX one hour episodes (shown two at a time for three weeks)?

5. terpfan1980

Jan 28, 2002

Advertisements

Yup, the last 2 episodes air tonite (6/22/2008).... the earlier episodes are currently airing so you could watch a marathon of all 6 episodes if you wanted to :)

6. Rolow

Rolow Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Peoria,AZ
    Is the episode order right in this link?
    http://shopping.discovery.com/product-71602.html?jzid=40588004-94-0

My tivo/ discovery is all messed up.I'm in Phoenix and I have

6/15 The Explorers 2 hours original air time 6pm
    6/15 Landing the Eagle R 1 hour original air time 8pm
    6/22 Friends and Rivals R 2 hours original air time 2pm
    6/22 Home in Space R 2 hours original air time 8pm (did not record at 6pm because of conflict)

My tivo does not show any more new episodes. In fact there are only 2 episodes in the data for 6/28 two 2 hour Home in Space repeats. I think I might have to wait for the dvd through netflix.

This same thing happednd to me with Mekong: Soul Of A River I still haven't watched that because I'm not sure is there supposed to be watched in a certain order.

7. Rolow

Rolow Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Peoria,AZ
    Sorry I missed you post before I posted. So I must have missed the first week and my tivo picked it up on 6/22.
    So I think I have it figured out now.

6/15 The Explorers 2 hours original air time 6pm EPISODE 2 & 3
    6/15 Landing the Eagle R 1 hour original air time 8pm REPEAT
    6/22 Friends and Rivals R 2 hours original air time 2pm EPISODE 1 & 2
    6/22 Home in Space R 2 hours original air time 8pm EPISODE 4 & 5

Wish I would have noticed it would have been easer to record all 6 hours on 6/22