When to consider hard drive upgrade?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jpcamaro70, Nov 26, 2011.

1. jpcamaro70

jpcamaro70 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Do you think it's unwise to consider upgrading the hard drive just after you get it? There is less to lose on the stock drive but i would assume you are out of warranty the moment you open it up.

I'm not sure i could do it anyway, there are so many acronyms it makes the directions seem a little difficult.

It's a tivo premier series 4.

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I would at least wait until the 30-day return period is over. Opening the box invalidates your warranty and Tivo can see in log files that you have changed the HDD. However many posters have said that if you swap the old drive (which you should save, not re-use somewhere else) back in and run it a few days TiVo will either not notice you installed the new drive or won't care. I know many of us have done drive upgrades long before the one year warranty expired but you have to make the decision.

3. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    i would do it after it has updqted and the cablrcard is paired.

4. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Any day but Sunday. :)

Seriously, it's a personal decision that should be made whenever you are comfortable with it. It's probably not that big of a deal not having an expanded drive the first 30 days, so all things considered, maybe after that deadline is a good target for the process.

The process itself is trivial.

5. jpcamaro70

jpcamaro70 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Actually, maybe i spoke to soon, I just did a little research to see how much i'll need (in terms of space) in order to ask for recommended drive, but I'm now seeing that the premier has 320gb and my dtv HR2x has 320gb. My HR2x has just enough for me, it's just this sa 8300 is too small.

So maybe i don't need to do it.

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Also bear in mind that the recent floods in Thailand have sent hard drive prices through the roof and it probably won't be until late next spring before that trend reverses itself.

7. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You could add a My Book AV DVR Expander to the Tivo to increase storage capacity without voiding the warranty.

http://www.tivo.com/assets/popups/popup_dvrexpander.html