When Television RecognizesTelevision

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by JLucPicard, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Aug 1, 2010 #1 of 47
    JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....

Advertisements

It could just be the programs I watch (or maybe it does show up on those I don't watch?), but rarely, if ever, do I notice references to television shows within television shows.

I was watching the DVDs of last season's Castle, and in one episode Castle's mother is talking about the acting resume of Castle's first ex-wife and says, "And does she honestly think that she's just gonna show up with a reel of what, According to Jim guest spots, and push some real actor aside?"

Apart from news and some 'ripped from the headlines' references to real non-fiction television programs (and Old Christine's addiction to American Idol), I see very little, if any, references to TV shows ON TV shows.

Am I just missing such references, or are they really that scarce? And I giuess I'm thinking along the lines of scripted programming that doesn't exist outside of the 'television universe' itself.

Can you tell I'm kind of bored this afternoon??? Letting the recording of the Twins game get far enough along to start watching and FF through commercials! :D

2. Aug 1, 2010 #2 of 47
    zeppo2

zeppo2 New Member

Mar 26, 2005
    The mise en abyme is much more common in movies, I think, but I can think of lots of fictionalized tv within tv shows. The Simpson's has Itchy and Scratchy of course, and Seinfeld had Jerry and George produce their own show. South Park has the Terrence and Phillip show, while 30 Rock has the Tracy Jordan show. I think it's easier to comment on the medium using fiction rather than the real, which is messy and runs the risk of referring to something that could soon go out of fashion.

3. Aug 1, 2010 #3 of 47
    Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    Joey on "Friends" was an actor playing Dr. Drake Remoray on "Days of Our Lives" for a few seasons. Although the soap filmed in L.A. and "Friends" was set in NYC.

--Carlos V.

4. Aug 1, 2010 #4 of 47
    JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    I guess I wasn't thinking of fictional shows existing within fictional shows, as those noted in the above posts. I was thinking more along the lines of actual existing (or formerly existing) scripted (i.e. not just news or interview-type) television shows being referenced in other actually existing televisions shows, a la the According to Jim reference in Castle and the American Idol 'appearances' in Old Christine. Where the medium actually kind of recognizes the medium itself.

Heck, The Dick Van Dyke Show and Studio 60 were shows that actually revolved around producing television shows. I was looking at just the 'references to truly existing shows within a show' aspect.

5. Aug 1, 2010 #5 of 47
    4inziksych

4inziksych New Member

Feb 28, 2003

Advertisements

Arrested Development did it all the time.

There was the Andy Griffith/Ron Howard thing

Veronica Mars

Gilligan's Island

I'm sure there were more, just can't think of them.

Oh yeah, it even recognized itself once.

6. Aug 1, 2010 #6 of 47
    IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    The fictional show on 30 Rock is actually called The Girlie Show with Tracy Jordan.

/nitpick

And the Days reference on Friends was as much cross promotion as anything.

7. Aug 1, 2010 #7 of 47
    zeppo2

zeppo2 New Member

Mar 26, 2005
    That must be why I can never find "TGS" on my Tivo guide :)

8. Aug 1, 2010 #8 of 47
    getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    If you really want to nitpick, it was originally "The Girlie Show" and was a starring vehicle for Jenna. However, because its ratings were struggling, they brought in Tracy to give it a boost, and it was soon renamed to "TGS with Tracy Jordan".

9. Aug 1, 2010 #9 of 47
    JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I think the thinking has been historically is that the shows didn't want to particularly date themselves for syndication reasons (although clothes, hair, and technology tend to do that now).

Although there was the time when an episode of Emergency showed Gage and DeSoto watching an episode of Adam 12 at the station.
    (Both on NBC and both Jack Webb productions at the time.)
    Which was kind of interesting when you consider that Malloy and Reed were in the Emergency pilot and interacted with Gage and DeSoto.

10. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    On an episode of Community they made direct reference to the show Glee.

11. BluesFools

BluesFools Active Member

Apr 5, 2000
    Apex, NC, USA
    When Family Guy came back after being canceled, they named 29 real TV shows in the intro.

12. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    I don't watch "Castle". Is the character they're referring to supposed to be an actual real-life actress who actually appeared on "According to Jim"? Or is she just a fictional actress who could have had some random guest appearances on such a show?

I think the references are even better when there's some sort of character/actor reference as well. Like the Modern Family episode where the son of the character played by Julie Bowen, who had played a recurring character on Lost, said something to her about their plane crashing and landing on an island like they did on Lost.

I started watching 30 Rock intermittently late in the 3rd season, and regularly starting with the 4th season. I had the hardest time figuring out what the deal was with TGS. I didn't expect them to explain it explicitly, but I figured at some point they'd make it clear. I finally went back and watched the first couple seasons, otherwise I'd probably still be wondering.

13. Philosofy

Philosofy Super Duper Member

Feb 21, 2000
    Valparaiso,...
    On one of the early episodes of Monk, Tim Daley made an appearance. Sharona told Monk he was on a show called Wings. Monk said he had never seen it, and asked if it was good. (Tony Shaloub, who played Monk, was also a regular on Wings.)

14. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    There was an episode of Ned and Stacey where Ned, who was played by Thomas Haden Church, was watching Wings. He was also a regular on Wings, but left, if not for the express purpose of doing Ned and Stacey, it was the very next show he did.

15. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    "Mad About You" did something similar with Paul Buchman/Reiser. The Buchman character was a director and a film buff. One random conversation had someone talking about the movie "Aliens". Reiser played the company man in the movie. Buchman was asked about the movie and he responded "Never seen it!"

"JAG" had a few Bellisario (executive producer) cameos and had lots of Bellisario show callouts. One such callout was Bellisario walking out of a "Quantum Leap" fan convention (with Lt. Roberts going ga-ga over the sighting).

--Carlos V.

16. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    I love meta stuff like that.

17. jon777

jon777 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2002
    Jupiter, FL
    Also from Castle, the Halloween episode, where he dresses up as a "Space Cowboy" -- wearing pretty much his outfit from Firefly/Serenity...

18. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    Hey, that's the name of the show!

19. Bai Shen

Bai Shen Toboggan noggin

Dec 17, 2004
    Supernatural had an episode set in LA on a movie shoot with a lot of shoutouts to real movies and tv shows.

20. Magnolia88

Magnolia88 She likes cheese.

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    In addition to the pilot they were developing for NBC, Elaine was also trying to write an episode of Murphy Brown and Kramer did a guest spot on Murphy Brown.

And they actually showed a clip of MB on Seinfeld, and MB was on a different network (CBS). I think that's the only time one network show has showed a clip of another current network show, but I could be wrong. Usually those kinds of things stay within the same network.