When I log in to TiVo Online and watch a show that has been recorded on my TiVo...

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by 7thton, Jan 23, 2016.

1. 7thton

7thton No raindrop ever falls in the wrong place

Mar 3, 2005
    ...how is that being delivered to my laptop? Does TiVo stream the show from my TiVo to their servers and then from their servers to my laptop?

2. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Your Bolt converts the video to mpeg4 and then streams it straight to the laptop.

3. 7thton

Mar 3, 2005
    But...how? What technology is being used to get the data to my laptop?

EDIT: To be more clear: How is the data getting to my laptop? What is the path?

My TiVo--TiVo's server--laptop?

4. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Straight to the laptop. It's all over your home network.

Out of home streaming, when it happens, will (obviously) be different.

5. 7thton

Mar 3, 2005
    I know that when I installed the TiVo app on my iPad, it prompted me to create a sub-network on my network (I think that is what it was going to do...I stopped the process because I don't really need to use the streaming to my iPad and I don't want to clutter my router with another sub-network [perhaps wrong terms here, but whatever]), but when I used TiVo Online it did not ask to create a sub-network. Is that because it is not necessary?

6. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    The Tivo app on iOS does not "create a new sub-network" and it's nice to have as an option to watch videos at times on the ipad.

7. 7thton

Mar 3, 2005
    Ok, good to know. Like I said, I didn't go all the way through the process and I just assumed it created some sort of sub-network-type thing, like Sonos or Roku does.