When Comcast starts with the tivo software, will the S3 be useless?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by nirvanayoda, Jul 29, 2007.

1. nirvanayoda

nirvanayoda New Member

Aug 11, 2006
    Hey guys, I just read that Comcast is starting the tivo software in the New England area next month and then within 3 months it will be deployed everywhere that Comcast serves. I just bought a S3 but haven't opened the box yet....will it be useless once Comcast offers the tivo software, or will it still be a better piece of equipment (assuming they ever get the SDV thing straightened out)?

2. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    No, it will not be useless. Comcast's TiVo box has nothing to do with the Series 3.

3. nirvanayoda

nirvanayoda New Member

Aug 11, 2006
    It does if you have both boxes and only one tv.

4. davecramer74

davecramer74 New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    its got more storage space than the comcast box. thats the main benifit i see.

5. norbertsf

norbertsf Member

Jun 9, 2007
    No OTA on Comcast?

Norbert

6. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    no sdv channels

no ppv on tivo

ajwees41

7. cowboys2002

cowboys2002 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Cypress, TX
    To the OP,

You essentially ASKED, then ANSWERED your own question!

Hey guys, I just read that Comcast is starting the tivo software in the New England area next month and then within 3 months it will be deployed everywhere that Comcast serves. I just bought a S3 but haven't opened the box yet....will it be useless once Comcast offers the tivo software, or will it still be a better piece of equipment (assuming they ever get the SDV thing straightened out)?

Then

It does if you have both boxes and only one tv.

If you haven't opened the S3, return it. Many are happy with the S3, while many others have posted how they feel screwed now that the Tivo HD is out for less money.

Bottom line, Consumer Electronics go down in value rapidly. Enjoy your purchase TODAY. Don't worry about Tommorrow so much.

8. drew00001

drew00001 New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Wrong!! You have always been able to order PPV by PHONE for your Tivo.

9. ajwees41

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

No entertainment on demand

ajwees41

10. Adam1115

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    Why would you get BOTH boxes if you only have one TV and already own a series 3??

I thought you were asking whether you should keep your S3 or switch to the Comcast TiVo?

If you are going to get the comcast tivo regardless I don't know why you would keep your s3 with on TV.

:confused:

11. Adam1115

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    You can usually get a free (not DVR) stb that will give you On-Demand or PPV, if you really need that...

12. hutchca

hutchca New Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Santa Rosa, CA
    No doubt the TiVo software on the Comcast boxes will be a "Lite" version.

My guess is they'll be limited to the most basic functions like season pass and time based recording. I'd be surprised if they even had wishlists.
    No chance of swivel search or Unbox and there's probably no way they will have TTG or even basic TiVo desktop Music and Photos.

No doubt ther'll also be alot more on-screen ads just like the current Comcast boxes.

13. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    You can record more stuff simultaneously plus you have more storage. You could also have a his and her machine. lots of reasons.

14. jblake

jblake New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Well, seeing how most of the country has a cable company other than Comcast, no, it won't be useless. Also, I will be very surprised when Motorola or Scientific Atlanta get their hardware to the quality of a Tivo box.

15. ajwees41

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

comcast might do that, but cox doesn't.

ajwees41

16. seattlewendell

seattlewendell New Member

Jan 11, 2006
    No doubt? Based on what?
    No universal search.
    Uni search is just a way to sell Amazon.com unbox videos anyway. Comcast wants to sell you their PPV so they are not going to let a competitor on their box.
    Of course it will have wishlist.
    No music and photos because the box will not be able to connect to your PC. At least not without a hack.
    For more information please go back and look at the demos from the 2007 CES.

17. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I have no interest for the Comcast box
    No networking, no broadband apps on the Comcast w/tivo i.e. photos, weather, etc.
    No expandability like the S3 at this point has been announced.
    No hackability! (that kills it for me)
    No Lifetime service
    No Swivel Search
    No Kidzone
    No Guru Guides

I have seen the previews of the Comcast Tivo, and it is no Tivo I want.
    The S3, even with the addition of the TivoHD, is still the premier DVR from Tivo

VOD and PPV? don't care, never used them when I had them
    And FWIW every Comcast customer that gets a digital tier, even if they have cablecards, is entitled to a free Comcast STB (non-DVR) should I ever get a hankering for VOD or PPV.

18. Adam1115

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    Re-read the ops posts and what I replied to, he said he can only hook up one box to his tv.

19. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    No, he said he would have 2 boxes and one TV (although I have no idea why he felt he needed to point that out :)).

That's the same setup I have (two TiVos connected to one TV).

Lots of good reasons for that.

20. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    If true its a minor restriction, you can easily get a video switcher or even manually swap the cables.