Wheeler Dealers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by HerronScott, Jun 30, 2016.

1. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA

Advertisements

I was surprised to see Mike actually do some work on the car in the latest episode that aired here in the US (68 Corvette) - rear brakes and a little body work! :)

Scott

2. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    There was a bunch of new stuff in this episode, most noticeably Mike putting in some work on the car. Besides that, though, changes I noticed:
    - the show had a new take on the theme tune
    - some obvious product placement when Mike was driving out to buy the car
    - no scenes outside the shop (the "drive up" at the beginning, and the sales scene at the end)
    - Mike wearing his dealership's logo apparel

I also noticed the credits had a different copyright. Older episodes were "Produced by Attaboy Television for Discovery Networks International." This episode was "A Discovery Studios Production for Velocity Network." To me, that suggests that this is a episode filmed specifically for US audiences, instead of a rebroadcast of a UK episode. I could be wrong, though.

3. Big Deficit

Big Deficit Happy now?

Jul 7, 2003
    They made a big deal about the previous American episodes, but now it just appears normal. I guess it's now an "American" show? I miss the old days when Ed rebuilt a carb while splayed out on the floor and painted cars with spray cans. They couldn't even afford a table. The new "garage" is roomy and spiffy but lacks that racks-of-conduit-that-belongs-in-no-car-garage look. It still has the charm to keep me around.

4. Jul 1, 2016 #4 of 61
    osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    This was billed as season premiere by Velocity, yet the corvette episode is the end of the latest season in the UK. Looks like velocity may be airing them out of order from the UK. 7 episodes have already aired in the UK the past 7 weeks. The corvette episode airs in the UK next week as episode 8. Mike has done work on several of the vehicles this season. Next week's Volvo episode was also the 2nd episode aired in the UK.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

5. Jul 1, 2016 #5 of 61
    Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze Back by popular demand

Nov 1, 2002
    The 75006...

Advertisements

Spoiler alert!! :D

6. Jul 1, 2016 #6 of 61
    MarkofT

MarkofT ****

Jul 27, 2001
    Where Texas...
    And he has his own took chest. It's larger then he is.

I also noticed a bit more of antagonistic humor between them. Especially around Edd's shirt.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  7. Jul 2, 2016 #7 of 61
    vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    It's definitely different this season. But I am still enjoying it as always

8. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    So... big announcement today... Edd China leaving the show, to be replaced by Ant Anstead.

First, Edd's farewell video:

And Ant's greeting:

For those who can't watch the video, Edd says that he's leaving because Velocity wanted to change the garage scenes to make them "easier to film," and Edd felt that the changes they wanted to make would sacrifice the integrity of his work and the integrity of the show.

A shame... if it was just that Edd wanted to leave for personal reasons, I might have carried on watching, but I don't think I'm interested in watching if they want to mess around with pretty much the entirety of what the show is. :(

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    jcondon, vertigo235 and osu1991 like this.
  9. vertigo235

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    Bummer Edd *is* the show IMO and it's disappointing that he wasn't happy with the direction. Makes me lose interest for sure.

SullyND, RonDawg and osu1991 like this.
  10. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    I very much agree. Mike can be a bit much and occasionally I'll even skip over certain segments of his. But I always watch Edd's work.

11. John Gillespie

John Gillespie Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2016
    This former viewer says "Ta-ra" Velocity.

12. weaver

weaver Member TCF Club

Feb 27, 2004
    New...
    This is disappointing. Wheeler Dealers is one of my favorite shows, and watching Edd work was the reason.

SR7D1 likes this.
  13. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Wow, that is disappointing. Edd and the workshop scenes were the main reasons that I watched the show and I'll be letting Velocity know. :(

Scott

14. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    I watch reruns of reruns because of Edd. He always amazes me with the lengths he'll go to fix a problem. Just last night on UK TV (at 3am!!!!), I caught the last 20 minutes of him fixing up a TVR S (look it up!) and he pulled out the whole headliner through the back of the car in order to repair the sunroof!

RIP, WD, and BiH, Velocity!

osu1991 likes this.
  15. RonDawg

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    But then you'll miss out on Mike talking about "leh-ver" interiors

16. RonDawg

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    I just finished binge-watching season 13, as I dropped the U-Verse tier which includes Velocity during season 12.

I have noticed that Edd is starting to get more annoyed with Mike over he cars he brings over and especially with what he expects done for the given budget. I mean what did Mike expect Edd to do with a Pacer that IMHO Mike overpaid for? Sometimes I wonder if that's not all scripted.

17. vertigo235

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    Oh that's scripted for sure

cowboys2002 likes this.
  18. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I would definitely say scripted and I wasn't really caring for that direction that they had gone in.

Scott

19. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    I started skipping over the Mike bits some time ago. They added little value, and Ed to me was the star of the show. Farewell Wheeler Dealers, another quality program done in by a stupid network decision.

20. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Been watching for years, and I'll give the new version a try. We'll see.

I'll definitely miss Edd though.